PDA

View Full Version : I'm New ??? on Lee molds

dustinfamily
10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm new to site but having bounced arround a bit. Is it the concensus that to get started casting I should purchase Lyman or RCBS molds rather than Lee? But if I do buy Lee only go with 6 cavity? looking for some pointers, Got a gun show next weekend hope to pick up a couple molds, Looking to cast for 40 S&W, 357/38, 44mag, 45ACP,and 454 casull. I don't know,could use some oppinions.

Thanks, Mark

nighthunter
10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
dustin ... there are good molds made by every company you mentioned. To get started I would suggest you start with a 2 cavity mold. The rate of production is fast enough and the control of the bullet production is much better and easier to learn with a 2 cavity than a 6 cavity. I've been casting for almost 40 years and I still do a lot of casting with 1 and 2 cavity molds.
Nighthunter

SharpsShooter
10-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Lyman & RCBS are good moulds typically and are usually less problem to get casting good boolits. Lee moulds are good also, but may require tweaking to get the best performance possible. So you have to decide if you want to spend $50 on a mould that works right out of the box or $20 for one that needs a bit of TLC. I have Lyman, RCBS, Rapine and Lee's. All work well once you get to know their individual quirks. Lee 6-cavity moulds are significantly better than their 1 or 2 cavity models generally speaking.

SS

dustinfamily
10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advice I think two cav would be a bit easier to control starting out. Probably should invest a bit more and go with lyman or RCBS, I think it will pay off in the long run.
Thanks again,
Mark

wiljen
10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Remember that lee 6 cav handles fit Lyman and RCBS 2 cav molds too and are generally cheaper than the Lymans. I have several Lyman molds wearing Lee handles, good cost compromise.

mooman76
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
If you see a Lee mould at the show, you might want to pick it up and give it a try. The most you will be out is 10 or 15 bucks and that way you can give it a try cheap. I have allot of Lee moulds and few others too and am satisfied completely with my Lee moulds!

redgum
10-14-2007, 09:01 PM
LEE has been good to me, but in general I guess it's like most things in life, .....you get what you pay for.
With that in mind though, it comes down to what suits your needs

singleshotbuff
10-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Mark,

I started casting with Lee molds. They were cheap enough that I could afford to try it to see if I liked it. I later (after finding that I liked casting) started buying Lyman molds, but I still use a lot (well not a LOT lol) of Lee molds, matter of fact I just ordered 2 new ones. From experience I can tell you that;

Lee molds heat up quicker and are easier FOR ME to get good boolits with quicker than iron molds.

Other than the sprue plates, Lee molds won't rust.

I PREFER to cast with a good Lyman mold now, because once I get it up to temp I get better boolits for longer than with a Lee mold.

Lyman molds seem easier to cut the sprue with, although that may just be me.

Lee molds can gall on top of the blocks if not lubed properly, Lymans generally won't.

Lyman molds are supposed to last longer than a Lee mold, but I still have some of my Lee molds from when I started casting 5 years ago. If they die tomorrow, I figure I got my $$ worth outta them.

Bottom line, I buy Lymans when I can and ENJOY using them more, BUT I still buy and use quite a bit of Lee molds.

FWIW

SSB

Bula
10-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I started with a pair of Lyman 2 cavs, gave me a very good knowledge base. Plus, they'll last a lifetime. I think the Lee's are good but they seem a 'pickier'. good luck and happy casting.

Bob Jones
10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I started casting with the Lee 6-cavities and have cast 10's of 1000's with them, they're still going strong. If they have a design that works well for you they're a good deal, really put out the bullets.

I've had good luck with their .40 caliber 175 grain tumble lube, the .45 230 grain round nose tumble lube and the 358-158-RF. All of those shoot real well for me. Just picked up the .38-105 SWC for light .38 and 9mm loads that don't use much lead but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

EMC45
10-16-2007, 05:48 AM
I jumped into casting with Lee and that's all I own. There is a system with them, but if you get used to it then they cast beautiful bullets. Tehy will heat up quickly and you have to get a rhythm going , but once you get in that groove you will pumping out fine bullets in no time. P.S. All my molds are 2 cav BTW.

LeadThrower
10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Dustin,
Just in case you haven't, check out all of the excellent info I received from the folks here at http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20819

To paraphrase their recommendations: Lee's work with a little TLC and a good lube for the sprue plate and pins, and BullShops BullPlate lube receives fantastic reviews.

dustinfamily
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks Guys, Sounds like I just need to start casting.
Mark

Newtire
10-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Don't forget about Saeco..

Skrenos
10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
I have 5 of the double cavity molds from Lee. None of the others, yet. I'll probably have to buy another manufacturer mainly because Lee doesn't have a .22 cal bullet mold. I haven't had any problems with my Lee molds. They all pop out nice bullets that shoot well. I can get 3 Lee molds for the same price as any of the others.

Bullshop
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Skrenos
Lee does have a 22 cal mold, the Bator. It is available from Mid south.
BIC/BS

Skrenos
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Hmmm, yes they do. But it's not a normal Lee stock mold... and they are out of them, on order, and that order is overdue. :(

dustinfamily
10-17-2007, 08:16 PM
The more I hear the more I feel Lee will fit My needs, buy some Lee molds to get started and keep an eye open for deals on better quality molds.

Skrenos
10-17-2007, 09:41 PM
I couldn't afford to buy molds if I didnt buy Lee. They're good molds if you work around their small limitations.

corvette8n
10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I use Lee 1 and 2 cavity molds, but just ordered a 6 banger, I also use Bull shop lube to stop the galling between the sprue and blocks. Gather all the wheel weights you can find know. When I started casting about 2 yrs ago, I had a friend that worked PT in a scrap yard, he used to set a can of ww on my desk every once in a while. Just last week I gave him some money to buy me more, guess what no weights at all at the scrap dealer, nada, none. And they don't know when they will be getting any. I did end up getting about 60lbs of linotype:)
I also have a relative that works in Wallyworld, but so far he has not been able to convince them to sell or give him any ww.

Sundogg1911
10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I say start with Lee's if you don't like casting you won't be out a ton of $$$. I started casting with a Lee 10 pound bottom pour and a Lee 2 cavity 45 ACP mould. After a few years I moved up to better equipment. I also bought a lot of nice stuff on the cheap from friends that jumped into casting both feet only to figure out that it wasn't for them. I have a good friend that laughs at me for casting bullets (of course He shoots the boolits that I cast) He is into tying Flys. I think thats nuts! (ok...not nuts, but not for me) I have no problem fishing with His Flys though. We do a "Bugs for Bullets" trade a few times a year :-)

Ghugly
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I've been using Lee moulds and have been very happy with them. I just made a rather serious mistake, I got a great deal on an Ideal 429421. That's not the mistake. The mistake was that I actually used it last night. I don't know if I can ever be happy with Lee again :(. The Ideal casts boolits that are almost too pretty to muck up with lube..........let alone shoot them. They are so crisp and clean that they look like they were individually machined, then chromed.

The tumble-lubed Lee's are great, in that I cast them, tumble them with Alox, load them, and shoot them. And, they shoot great. But, oh my these 429421's are pretty.

nighthunter
10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Ghugly .... You have found the difference that many men spend their entire lives searching for and never find. You have found the ultimate mold! Your life is never going to be the same again. It is going to be like the hunter that has stalked and taken the ultimate trophy that can never be bettered. You will search and look and hunt ...... but to no avail ...... your Ideal 429421 cannot be matched in this life time.
Nighthunter

dustinfamily
10-19-2007, 02:21 PM
In addition to picking up some Lee starter molds, I guess I'll be searching for an Ideal 429421. Big gun show tomorrow hope to find a couple molds and get casting.

Once again all of Your comments have been greatly appreciated,
Mark

Bullshop
10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
dustinfamily
You goin to the patty center show tomorrow? God willing I will be there visiting, but no table. I will wear a Bull Shop T-shirt. If ya see me stop n say HAY!
BIC/BS

dustinfamily
10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Bull shop, Sorry missed you at the patty ctr, didn't get to Your message til Monday. As far as casting the show was a bust I didn't find a single mold, if I hadn't found the beat up Ruger Mk 1 I bought would have been a total loss. What part of AK. are You from? Maybe I'll catch You at the spring show in Palmer.
Mark

Pat I.
10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Just my opinion but if you're buying your first mould get something besides a Lee. I'm not saying they're bad moulds but they aren't up to the standard of the other, unfortunately more expensive, brands. You'll have enough other things to worry about without having to start out with moulds that are known problem children.

Buy once cry once is a good saying and if you spend more for the first one you'll at least be starting out with a mould that has a good chance of being right from the get go and will last you a life time. Someone on another forum said that while Lee moulds have probably gotten more people into casting than all others combined they've also gotten more people out of casting than all others combined, might be a little truth in that.

dustinfamily
10-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Pat I.
I think theres some merit to Your post. I've been wanting to start with lyman or rcbs, but trying to find them used has been difficult. I don't really have it in my budget to just go new and drop 100.00 on one mold and handles at Midway. It might take awhile but something will turn up.
Mark

Pat I.
10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Haven't tried them on a Lyman mould but Lee 6 cavity handles will work with a little fitting on the RCBS moulds and I like them better than RCBS anyway. A WTB post on a couple of the cast bullet forums might produce results for a couple of the calibers you mentioned, especially if people know you're just getting in to casting.

dustinfamily
10-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Pat, I thought about that but I'm new to the site and can't post on "swappin and sellin" posts just yet. I will definitly try that when the time comes. I like to trade and sometimes momma even lets me have some money to buy something, LOL.

Mark

auzzie101
10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
If you're looking to buy new molds check out the prices at Midsouth, they are much cheaper on Lyman molds than Midway.

dustinfamily
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
If you're looking to buy new molds check out the prices at Midsouth, they are much cheaper on Lyman molds than Midway.

Auzzie 101, I will definitly check out that site. I appreciate any pointers on how to save a buck.

thanks Mark

crabo
10-24-2007, 05:44 PM
My suggestion would be to start with one caliber. I started with the 45 acp, (a low velocity round) and a used Saeco 69 mold. I then progressed to a new Ballisticast H&G 51 for my 38/357. I have a RCBS 250K for my 44 mag that is waiting patiently while I work out my loads for the 45/38/357 calibers.

If you read these pages regularly, you start to see threads of things that just seem to work well. I bought the things that I did because each particular item came highly recommended.

I bought a used Star sizer, but you may need to ask some advice on molds that shoot well without sizing and then pan lube to get started. I bought BAC lube so I could eliminate a variable once I started loading. I will probably start making my own lube, but as inexpensive as his lubes are, I can't see messing with making it right now.

I also spent some time finding wheel weights. Doesn't make much sense to invest in the equipment if you can't get the raw material.

Go one gun at a time. If it is for a revolver, check out firelapping and opening up your cylinders. If it is for an auto, there are some bullets that feed well and some that won't.

I have had a blast starting this journey and have really benifitted from all the great advice on this forum.

Crabo

Sundogg1911
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree with Crabo. I started with a Lee 2 cavity .45 ACP RN (I think it was a 228 gr) I had a Lee 10 pound bottom pour furnace, and a used Lyman 450 with a .452 sizing die, and a top punch that left a ring on the nose of each bullet. I think it was 5 years before I started adding to my equipment, but i've never looked back. I see a lot of people jump in both feet and spend a bunch of money only to discover that they really don't enjoy casting. (i know....it's hard for me to believe too [smilie=1: ) It's better to ease into it. There's a lot less chance of you losing money selling the stuff at a garage sale later. (If you turn out to be on of those strange people that don't enjoy casting) :castmine:

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I think the problem with LEE molds is the people who buy them and are unhappy
dont have the patients to find how the LEE molds work.I have never had trouble with them and I bought my first one when they became available.I have modern/bond /ideal/lyman/lee/win/colt/rem. they all work.at the club I used saeco and hen/gib.so I do have some knowledge of the various makes.
with 15 press and number of dies.I keep busy.:coffee: :Fire: :coffee:

dustinfamily
10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Well I finally got some molds together and have cast a few boolits using the term loosely but their getting bettermone of the members passed me along some molds that were passed to him when he started they were greatly appreciated. also trade some brass that I used to sell on ebay for 2 molds so now I'm set other than my leaky lee prod pot can't seem to keep it from dripping but I'm casting and looks like it might be a bit addictive.
Thanks to everyone for the pointers, I'm sure i will have alot more quesrtions!

Thanks Mark

mooman76
10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
You didn't say whay kind of moulds you got!

dustinfamily
11-02-2007, 05:46 PM
As for the molds I got its a bit of a mixed bag, I got a lyman 4 cv .358 148gr wc, a lyman 2 cv 452460 200gr swc, aRCBS .490 cal rb 2cv for my black powder, plus 3 lee 2 cav in 45 rn 230, .358 158gr swc and a 358 110gr swc. and also 3 Lee 6 cavs in 452-200swc, 358-158rn, .358-148wc. So I'm on the look out for molds in .429 240gr or larger.
Thanks Mark

Bret4207
11-02-2007, 07:10 PM
With all the moulds- make sure they are CLEAN. Brake cleaner, ether, boiling water and detergent, acetone, all work. The Lee's need to be run a bit hotter than the iron moulds IME. A carpenters pencil will work for lube. FROSTY BOOLITS ARE GOOD! Don't let anyone tell you different. Have fun. I'll bet the 452460 is easiest to use.

jonk
11-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I own 5 Lymans, a Saeco, 2 CBEs, and about 20 Lees. Are the Lees better? No. Do the bullets shoot just as well? I find yes.

Problems with Lee molds are they are sometimes a bit tricky to keep right in a good heat range- hot enough to fill out but cool enough to set up quickly; the chance for small burs preventing release easily; occasional alignment problems; and so forth. That said I have only had issues with 2 and both were fixed quite easily.

I say start with Lees.

GrizzLeeBear
11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Ditto what Bret said. Mark, sounds like you got a good haul on molds! I have RCBS, Lyman and Lee molds, and I would rank them in that order as far as quality. The steel mold are the easiest to start getting good boolits with, the aluminum Lee molds are a little more "finicky" but still produce good boolits. I do like how fast you can make a pile of bullets with the Lee 6 bangers, though, and they don't wear you out like a 4 cavity steel mold.
When you get started with the Lee 6 cavity molds there is one really great piece of advice I found on this forum. Run the pot a bit hotter than with the steel molds and set the mold on top of the pot for a while to heat up. When you start filling the mold DO NOT fill all six cavities. The mold will still be "cold" and it will be very difficult to cut the sprue (I would bet this is where many 6 cavity users get to use Lee's customer service to get a replacement sprue cam). Just pour a half dozen with the first cavity (closest to the sprue hinge). Then pour four or five times with the first two cavities, then 3 or 4 times with the first 3 cavities, etc. Once the mold is up to temp. the sprues will cut very easily with all 6 cavities full.