PDA

View Full Version : .30 cal. AP projectiles in stock!

Jim
08-01-2013, 02:37 PM
HI-TEK AMMO (http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU6017&object-menu6)has .30 cal. AP projectiles in stock, $60/100. Get 'em while they last.

JeffinNZ
08-01-2013, 06:17 PM
60 cents each! Ouch! That's Kiwi prices.

Outpost75
08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Gee, I wonder what my full bandoliers of LC43 APM2 in Garand clips, with the lot card are worth....

10-x
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Sunny Beaches!!!!!:-) :-) :-) :-) Thats rich.

6.5 mike
08-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Is bambi in Kevlar there Jim ?

Czech_too
08-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I went to one of the local shows recently with the AP I have, with the intent of selling it, and got next to no interest. The only person who 'inquired' about it didn't even ask for a price, just said something to the effect that "Oh, I see you got some AP there". I got the impression, as a result, that there's no interest/demand for it.

I bought this stuff probably a good 40 years ago thinkin' at the time, "hey this'll be cool". Haven't shot a round of it yet, but it doesn't take up much space.

Thumbcocker
08-03-2013, 10:43 AM
In Illinois it is a felony to have ap ammo. Not sure about projectiles but I wouldn't risk it.

Boerrancher
08-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Never did see much use for AP unless you owned a Barrett Light 50. The reason being is that a 30-06 or larger will shoot through the canopy on an Apache with ball ammo. Same with most of the traditional BP glass. With a standard cal rifle it is pointless to shoot at armor anyway because standard 30 cal AP won't punch through it. You have to shoot the operator through the glass.

Everyone got excited when the SS109 came out. It was too light to perform well even at higher velocities. A 69 or 70 grain bullet is just as effective out of the 5.56 x45. So you will not find me spending my money on any AP as it is somewhat impractical, fully legal here in MO, just not practical.

Best wishes,

Joe

Blammer
08-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I think there is an interest in it, but when it sells for $1.25 or more per ROUND of ammo. People just stop asking how much because it's just ridiculous at the price.

.60 per projectile is a very good price.

Shooter973
08-03-2013, 07:20 PM
The last AP projectiles I purchased cost me $25 per thousand... Bought 4 thousand and still have 2000 left....
Bought 1500 loaded AP's from a Dr. that just wanted to get rid of them...$.15 each still have most of this GI ammo stored in a couple 50 cal.ammo cans...This stuff shoots almost like Match ammo.
Lots cheaper to reload with these AP's than with Ball bullets.
Works well in My M-1 and my bolt rifles...
My Father used mostly AP ammo when he was in the Marines during WWII....dragged a BAR all over the Pacific....

Johnch
08-03-2013, 10:29 PM
LOL
A few years back one of the vendors at Camp Perry had them for sale

I just happened to be there the last day he was going to be there

So I got a great price on a bunch of the Black Tip bullets and 30/06 ammo
Both ball and AP

Stuck all of it under the reloading bench and it is still there
Expect for 1 bandolier of ball that I shot in the Grand

Not a lot of need normaly for AP
But not going to shoot it up either

John

mroliver77
08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Pats reloading has them at Camp Perry right now. They shoot through cars well if you ever have need to do that.
J

Blammer
08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
shooter973 I'll give you $50 for 500, it's all I want.

Ed Barrett
08-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Back in the 1960's when I was on one of the Navy rifle teams we would practice with 30-06 AP and shoot it in matches and we won a lot of matches. We would sell the match ammunition issued to us for practice and matches for five cents a round at civilian/military matches, for our beer money. This was probably a Federal offense, but I figure the statute of limitations has expired on this and the other questionable things I did back then.

idahojackie
12-28-2014, 03:36 PM
yep if anybody has any AP 30 Cal projectiles they would like to sell in bulk please let me know I would be interested

gew98
12-28-2014, 04:09 PM
I think there is an interest in it, but when it sells for $1.25 or more per ROUND of ammo. People just stop asking how much because it's just ridiculous at the price.

.60 per projectile is a very good price.

I can remember in the 89 - 91 time frame I was buying pulled 30 cal AP's for about 10 cents each. Still got alot of them left. Had alot of fun punching holes in various peices of steel.

idahojackie
12-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Gew98 would you like to part with what you have left

tomme boy
12-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Old thread guys. Let it die.

bob208
12-28-2014, 06:32 PM
ap projectiles are just as good as match ammo. in fact the snipers used ap because it was much better then m2 ball.

gew98
12-29-2014, 12:28 AM
Gew98 would you like to part with what you have left I pm'd you with a trade offer.

idahojackie
12-29-2014, 03:27 AM
I am currently away from my home at the time when I get back I will see what I can do on the trade thing ok

Lead Fred
12-29-2014, 07:07 AM
According to the feds all AP pistol ammo is illegal.
Thats why 223 and 308 and x39 have all been reclassified pistol ammo (but not odd six or win mag :-)

It is legal to own the projectiles, its illegal to reload them.

Those WWII AP are **** compared to the Israeli AP made in the 70's.

gew98
12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
I've never heard anyone espouse that definition of "illegal to reload them". You can still legally buy steel cored surplus 7,62x39 when it turns up ( excepting of course in those nazi demorat controlled states ) .

According to the feds all AP pistol ammo is illegal.
Thats why 223 and 308 and x39 have all been reclassified pistol ammo (but not odd six or win mag :-)

It is legal to own the projectiles, its illegal to reload them.

Those WWII AP are **** compared to the Israeli AP made in the 70's.

tomme boy
12-30-2014, 12:16 PM
A dealer can not sell AP loaded ammo.

Blacksmith
12-30-2014, 04:53 PM

The CMP was selling it last year and sold several thousand cans.

tomme boy
12-30-2014, 06:34 PM
They are not the same as a regular dealer.

Multigunner
12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Those WWII AP are **** compared to the Israeli AP made in the 70's. A friend had a bucket full of the Israeli .30 AP bullets, with to crimping cannelures to allow these to be loaded in .30-06, 7.63 Nato and several other nominally .30 cartridges for use in the many odd caliber MGs they had in inventory at the time.
He mentioned the French .30-06 AP ammo they had manufactured for use in the many lend lease aircraft MGs and vehicle mounted MGs they used for many years after WW2.
I don't remember all he said on the subject but the U S went from tungsten core AP bullets before WW2 to electric furnace hardened steel cores that are very nearly as tough as the tungsten cores.
The French may have manufactured some tungsten core bullets post WW2.
The Germans used tungsten cores early in WW2 but had to switch to steel or iron cores.
When the Tungsten AP bullets were still available each German soldier was issued one five round clip of these to use if pinned down by allied light armored vehicles. These bullets walked right through the light armor of most halftracks, BREN carriers and scout cars they encountered early in the war and punched through light vehicle mounted gunshields to take out the gunners.

The core of a US made .30 AP bullet makes a very good punch for use when DT'ing a very hard receiver ring.
I had a few of the cores that had come out the other side of a concrete foundation leaving the jacket behind.
I once shot an old bowling ball with .30 AP and broke away a 1/3 section of the ball. The bullet core was found a fraction of an inch from exiting the other side, the front half of the core melted by friction of passing through whatever that ball was made of. I think some of the jacket was still attached to the lower half of the core. Tungsten probably wouldn't have melted and would have come out the other side.

fatelk
12-30-2014, 09:59 PM
I think that applies to handgun AP only. Black-tip 30-06 AP and SS109 was specifically exempted in the law (federal).

I have a couple cans of the stuff the CMP sold years back; in M1 clips, bandoleers, sealed tins, and a cool wooden crate. They blew it out super cheap- something like 25 cents a round if I remember right. The overwhelming demand crashed their website at they sold millions of rounds in a few hours as I recall. I really don't understand the interest in it really, beyond having a tin to collect as a neat accessory for an old Garand. I sure can't see much practical value to it. An AP round I shot many years ago resulted in a scar right between my eyes from a piece of jacket that came back. I haven't had any use for the stuff since then.

Multigunner
12-30-2014, 11:53 PM
I really don't understand the interest in it really,

The U S AP ammunition was noted for superior long range performance and was often used for thousand yard match shooting.
In part this was because of tighter tolerances of primers used to load aerial gun ammunition, but the long for its weight bullet also out performed most bullets of its day.
U S Army and Marine snipers liked to use the AP ammunition whenever they could get it. It was definitrely more accurate than M2 Ball.
This reputation for superior accuracy was a major selling point for surplus AP ammo in the 60's.

I'm surprised the EPA hasn't already mandated that all bullets have steel cores rather than lead.