PDA

View Full Version : ruger 44 special flat top.

gandydancer
08-01-2013, 11:45 AM
A few months ago I purchased a new Ruger BH 44 special 4.5/8" and due to back surgery I have never shot it. until today just a few rounds at a can at 20 yrds light ol man rounds. hit the can a few times. and it locks up tight. But here's the rub. when you turn the cylinder it makes almost no noise. no click click.just a very weak click. I have other rugers that sound louder. any ideas?? Tom :shock:

Char-Gar
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I doubt there is anything wrong with it. If the lack of noise bothers you contract Ruger for service.

DougGuy
08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
What you are hearing is the difference in the free spin pawl that the new gun has in it, which also lets it align the charge hole up with the loading gate when you open it to reload. Older pistols that don't have the free spin pawl make a lot more clicking noise when the pawl skips over the ratchet teeth.

There's nothing at all wrong with the gun.

gandydancer
08-01-2013, 04:43 PM
OK. thanks for the help. I will shoot it until the cows come home. and that could be a while as I don't have any cows.lol

PS Paul
08-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Nice gun. Got the Lipsey's .45 Colt version in S/S with a 5.5" frame....... first thing I noticed was the free-spin and I too thought something was amiss. Until it dawned on me I'd read about the feature earlier.

Perfect packin' pistol, IMO.
PSP

gandydancer
08-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Gee Wiz. why did I not think of that?

I doubt there is anything wrong with it. If the lack of noise bothers you contract Ruger for service.