PDA

View Full Version : Lee versus Lyman Molds

alexanderkidd
08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
This is probably covered elsewhere, but I was wondering if someone could help me understand the tradeoffs between Lee aluminum molds and Lyman?

I am just starting out, have a couple of Lee 2-cavities and 1 6-cavity, and also a Lyman double cavity. The Lyman certain feels/looks more solid but at 1/3rd the price, Lee seems very compelling.

I've only cast about 300 bullets with each of my molds and they were all bought new, so it'll be quite awhile till wear and tear starts to show any differences.

Is it worth investing in the Lyman or just keep to the Lee stuff?

jmort
08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
If you have the $$$ get the best you can afford. I have Lee Precision and Accurate. I am happy with the Lee molds, but will continue at add Accurate Molds as I can afford them Check out some of the group buys here for NOE and MiHec, they are good choices, but wait time can be up to a year. What is nice about Accurate, is that I can have a custom mold in my hand in a couple weeks.

alexanderkidd
08-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I use the Lyman 4500 to lubricate and size bullets... If I go with Accurate, NOE, or MiHec can I still use the 4500? How do ya figure out which top punch to use?

high standard 40
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I use the Lyman 4500 to lubricate and size bullets... If I go with Accurate, NOE, or MiHec can I still use the 4500? How do ya figure out which top punch to use?

Most of Accurate's molds feature a generous meplat. He sells a couple of flat nose punches for use with the Lyman sizer. Any bullet with a flat nose can be sized using the flat punches.

You may also find these tables helpful http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/default.html

jmort
08-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes the 4500 is good regardless of the source of the boolit. Get Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition. That will help. As for top punches, you can use stock sizes, or get custom one from Vendor/Sponsors like The Perfessor here in the Vendor forum.

alexanderkidd
08-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Most of Accurate's molds feature a generous meplat. He sells a couple of flat nose punches for use with the Lyman sizer. Any bullet with a flat nose can be sized using the flat punches.

You can? This will save me a ton of cash @ $10 a top punch from Lyman!

high standard 40
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
You can? This will save me a ton of cash @ $10 a top punch from Lyman!

Also, I added a link to my earlier post you may find helpful.

alexanderkidd
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Also, I added a link to my earlier post you may find helpful.
Very helpful, thanks a ton!

Vinne
08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Kidd, I have both Lee and Lyman. I got the Lee molds for the 6 ganger and the price or style of bullet I wanted. The Lyman in the style that Lee didn't offer. Both are great so you have to pick the style you want or go with saving the money...you can't go wrong either way. I use Lyman to lube them all and don't have any problems.

Maximumbob54
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't buy the Lee two cavity molds unless they don't offer a six cavity. And iron molds are more work than brass and for the money a NOE, Mihec, or Accurate molds will either have the same mold or better. But really everyone should thank Lee as Lee opens the door for more people to get into the hobby than anyone else.

mdi
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Either one you choose (Lee or Lyman) they are different types of molds, steel vs. aluminum, and require different methods to produce good bullets. I get good bullets from my Lee molds and from my Lyman (Ideal) molds but I use different tactics for each manufacturer, and each individual mold. I have kept notes on my molds as to temperature of melt. temperature of mold, alloy and pout method (close/far from bottom pour spout or dipper). BTW, the best mold in my possession is a steel Lachmiller .38 cal., double cavity mold.

LynC2
08-01-2013, 02:55 PM
If I were to use an analogy, I would say Lee is the "Model T" of molds. It will usually get you there for a decent price. The RCBS, Saeco and Lyman are more like a Mercedes that get you there too with added features but at a higher price. The custom molds are the Rolls Royce of molds. Fantastic workmanship, quality and with a lot of options, but sometimes can be a bit more expensive but well worth it! :-P

SeabeeMan
08-01-2013, 03:13 PM
If you are eyeing up group buys but not a fan of the wait time, NOE offers molds for sale on his site, which is where I pick mine up. If you're just starting out and wanting to get a feel for a premium mold, that might be that way to go. I'm 99% Mihec does the same, but it isn't nearly as user friendly, so I haven't purchased one that route yet.