PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 44mag tracker cylinder shake

troyboy
07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
I traded for this revolver not worried because of the lifetime warranty. I brought it home and checked the cylinder to forcing cone gap. 023. I called taurus,explained the copper shaving at the forcing cone and excessive gap. I did as instructed and shipped to Miami. Got it back a week later and the repair ticket said npf. They shot 20 rounds of wwb 44 mag and it was fine. This is crazy. The cylinder pushed forward has .0025 gap and when pushed back has .023. That is .021+/- end shake. I called back and the csr said she would check with the tech dept. She got back on the phone and said it was in spec and go shoot the gun. I think this is absurd and it needs to go back for a proper repair. So before I peruse this further......... what should this spec be for a properly functioning revolver. Thanks Troy

Dale53
07-31-2013, 10:09 PM
My preference is .004" gap and Smith's standard is reportedly a maximum of .010". Most of the old references state .006" is about ideal. Your Taurus is way-y-y out of speck, I don't care WHAT they say! At that gap you can pick up pieces of jacket material flying around. We actually had an incident with a .44 Magnum that had less cylinder gap than yours but more than specs. Fortunately, the injury was not serious. The revolver was a .44 Magnum and was immediately repaired.

As a point of reference, I had purchased a used S&W 686" with 6" barrel. After I got it home, I realized it had excessive barrel/cylinder clearance. It was .011"or .012". I took it to my local pistolsmith, Jack Basham in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Jack set the barrel back and gave me a tight barrel/cylinder gap. It was a serious improvement. Now, no more spitting and great accuracy (he, of course, had to re-throat the barrel after setting the barrel back).

That's what needs to be done with your Taurus. If Taurus won't do it, then look up a custom pistolsmith in your area.

FWIW
Dale53

dubber123
07-31-2013, 10:55 PM
They keep a big stack of those No Problem Found slips at the Taurus repair facility. I got one. Once.

.5mv^2
07-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Welcome to your lifetime warranty. Pretty much has been my experience with them. They could be a great gun company with better QC.

bobthenailer
08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I also bought a Tarus 85 used it also had endshake problems and would bind up the cyl rotation on certian chambers after a few rounds were fired . ( the front of the cyl was dragging on the forcing cone after some build up. but my problem was not enough cyl gap and excessive cyl end shake.
I used slightly modfied S&W cyl endshake shims avalible from power customs or brownells to correct problem .