PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating question, perhaps an easy solution

lunicy
07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
To properly powder coat, you need the electrostatic charge. Easy to do with lead bullets sitting on aluminum foil.
BUT
the bottoms don't get covered.

Should this work:

Set the boolits in mesh, bottoms up.
Powdercoat the bottoms (obviously charge the mesh)
Bake.

Could you then use needles to pierce a tiny hole in the bottom's coat.
Use said needle to introduce the charge.

A piece of wood or plaster with 50-100 needles in it.
Put a piece of aluminum foil over that with all the needles piercing it. (Attach the wire for the charge to the aluminum foil)
Each needle would be electrified by the aluminum foil.
Each bullet would be electrified by the needle piercing through the base's coating.

Spray the remainder of the boolit.
Bake.
Load.
Shoot.
Profit??

gunoil
07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Just buy sone hi tek supercoat for 36$+fedex.

jmort
07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
There have been some pictures of some innovative jigs posted in the pas couple weeks. Very good solutions. You idea seems sound.

KYShooter73
07-31-2013, 08:49 PM
I ES powder coat, that would work, but setup would be a pain. I've thought about the needle route, but I think if I tried it I would use a 1 step method. Stick the needle in the base, then powder coat everything. You would only miss a little section around the needle, which wouldn't make a difference in my opinion.

popper
08-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Basically what I do with the pin nail gun, but in the nose. Sometimes the nose doesn't get complete coverage, don't want that problem with the base.

straight-shooter
11-21-2014, 06:49 PM
When I run my bullets through a Lyman Lubrasizer the bases never got covered. No need to worry about the bases when powder coating either. Just spray the bullets base down, bake and move on.

clearcut
11-22-2014, 02:52 AM
the bases don't make contact with the barrel no need to coat there.
CC

ipijohn
11-22-2014, 08:42 AM
the bases don't make contact with the barrel no need to coat there.
CC

+1 The bases on the FMJ Boat Tails that I shoot in my AR are not covered with anything and they shoot very well.