PDA

View Full Version : Starting powder recommendation for 9mm rifle

cs86
07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
I have a hi point carbine in the 9mm, and eventually I think I'll try and shoot some lead out of it. I've mostly stuck with 124gr Berry's HP in it and used hs-6 and blue dot. I was wondering if these powders would be good candidates for shooting either 135gr to 140gr boolits that I cast out of my NOE mold.

blackthorn
07-31-2013, 06:00 PM
What are 124gr berries? Where do they grow? Do they taste good?

AABEN
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
GO and buy your self a reloading book!!! Lyman is a good one and LEE also!!!!

.5mv^2
07-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I experimented with how little powder would cycle a 9mm hp carbine. I used trail boss. It would shoot with as little noise as a bolt action 22. Shooting in 700fps range. At the time I was shooting 125gr commercial cast boolits.

It is a good safe weapon to handload for.

tyeo098
08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a 995TS that I have completely stripped and cleaned.
The mechanism is beautiful. Lots of metal is used and it is over built in some places too.

The carbine is 2 lightyears ahead of the C9 pistol, since they had more room to work with the parts are all steel instead of heavy cast zinc.

Trigger is a bit squishy though.

Ed_Shot
08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a 995TS 9MM and feed it the exact same loads I use in my pistols using Lyman 358242 and 356402 and Lee 356-120-TC and 356-125-2R. All very accurate in both pistol and carbine. Chrony consistently showed 200 fps faster in carbine than pistol. Tried all both with and without PB gas checks never had a hint of leading with either in the carbine and saw no difference in fps.

+1 You need a Lyman manual

ku4hx
08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
What are 124gr berries?

Maybe spell check got him. :grin:

My son and daughter text me a good bit and for a while I thought I was either losing my mind or they were. I use to get some of the weirdest messages using words totally unrelated to the subject; some made no sense at all. So I'd send them back to them. Turns out spell check did some odd things.

spfd1903
08-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I understood the reference as Berry's plated bullets..? Anyway, the Lyman Handbook has a section for 9mm rifle loads. I have shot Lyman 147 grain, Lee round nose and SWC in 125 grain in my Hi-Point carbine based on loads from the Lyman manual. Nice accuracy and function. No leading.

cs86
08-02-2013, 01:42 AM
I have a Lyman manual but I couldn't seem to find the 9mm rifle listed. Only pistol, I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere. I have a 9mm book that lists some rifle loads but I left it at my parents house so I couldn't reference that. I'll take another look in the Lyman book and get ahold of my other one sometime, and work with a powder I already stock. I'm not sure if there is much difference between the pistol and rifle loads, but I didn't know if a particular powder was found to work a bit better for the rifle.

spfd1903
08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
The 9 mm rifle data is, as you would guess, buried in the rifle section of the 49 th edition. There is not much difference if any, load wise, between rifle and pistol data. The commentary section is worthwhile. The Sierra manual also has a 9mm rifle page(s). I have used ACC #5 and Power Pistol with good results in either carbine or pistol.

wcp4570
08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
cs

I have not used either powder you mentioned or have I shot any 9mm in a carbine but I do load and shoot a lot of 9mm ammo in pistols. The powders I have loaded and had good results with in the 9mm are Titegroup, HP38, Bullseye, Unique and one that is no longer made which is Hodgdon TopMark. I have no load data for TopMark so I have to develop my own safe loads. I got a couple of pages copied from a very old load manual by writing Hodgdon when I first got the powder, the burn rate falls between Bullseye and Unique so I start with the bullseye date and work up from there. I like this powder and have developed safe loads for all the pistol/cast loads I shoot. It will be a sad day when I run out of this fine old powder.

So here are my suggestions:
Bluedot you can go to Alliant Powder and research using there Load Data
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

HS6 you can to Hodgdon and research using there Load Data
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

One last resource to help you do a little research for your 9mm question, and it is linked at the bottom of any page you go to here on Castboolits. Its called Castpics http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php

You can also download a copy of the Lyman #44 manual in PDF format that is a good resource to have on your computer.
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/Lyman44.pdf

Good luck on finding that safe load for your carbine.

wcp

blackthorn
08-02-2013, 12:22 PM
My questions on the "berries" followed my just having read the "pet peeves" thread in which a poster set out his angst with people who use terms such as "tips", "heads", "points", etc. The OP's use of the (unsupported) "berries" just hit a nerve! I did have a strong suspicion he was reffering to the bullets produced by the company of that name, but it struck me as to how much more clearly it would have come across by adding the word "bullets" (or "boolits). Not everydody who reads these posts is familiar with all of the things/terms we use SO it behooves us to clearly state what we mean. The OP conjured up a vision of a bright red, hollw based Raspberry flying through the air at 1600 to 1800 feet per second!

Cherokee
08-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Dup post

Cherokee
08-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Tried CB's in my HiPoint once a number of years ago, some .356 sized commercial CB that worked fine in my pistols. Spent hours cleaning out the lead. Before I do that again, I'll slug the barrel to see what size I should use, which obviously is not .356. BTW, I like HS6 and Power Pistol, the HiPoint loads used Bluedot.

quilbilly
08-03-2013, 10:44 AM
4.6 gr of Unique works just fine in my t/c carbine 9mm with a 125 gr rnfp. It should operate your action.

.5mv^2
08-03-2013, 07:49 PM
The trouble with higher powered loads it that the weapon operates as a blowback and much of the extra energy is used to cycle the action more vigorously.

I have loaded mine so hard that it has blown out brass as it cycled. Don't get wrong, I enjoy shooting mine. I don't think that slower powders are much advantage, just get the powder burnt fast.