PDA

View Full Version : Minie' Lube Questions

drhall762
07-31-2013, 03:59 PM
I see that according to several other posts in this forum a popular lube seems to be bees wax and extra virgin olive oil, 5:4 ratio. I hope that is wax to oil as that is how I read it. My question is this: Has anyone experimented with some of the bees wax substitutes that are priced considerably less than bees wax? Why or why not? And if so how did they work out? The two best contenders I believe would be Soy Wax and Candelilla Wax. Carnuba is a bit expensive.

Just wondering.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
look over in the lube section , but the basic of it are that bees wax is a microcristiline wax that holds the oil in the wax structure while other waxes weep the oil

and that with a BP lube obliviously all petrol waxes are out

if you use a oil with a much higher melting point like deer tallow you can use a lot less bees wax

I use 3 parts rendered tallow to 1 part bees wax , it can be 90 degrees and not melt and run , but is soft enough to work with

it is also good if your fingers crack in the winter.

look for randy rat http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?59975-100-fine-filtered-pure-beeswax-for-sale then it isn't that expensive

Hellgate
08-01-2013, 02:30 AM
I've been using 50/50 beeswax & deer tallow ever since my brother shot a big fat barren doe with about 1.5" of back fat I just couldn't see tossing. Prior to that I used 50/50 BW & lard. 1 lb of lard from the grocery store is pretty cheap and you can shop around and sometimes get 1 lb bricks of BW pretty cheap. The BW/tallow runs through my sizer just fine. I use it for both BP & smokeless bullet lube.

Nobade
08-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Recently I have been messing with TC Bore Butter mixed with an equal weight of soy wax flakes. By itself it's too runny and I have a big box of soy wax so I tried it. Works good! Too much soy wax makes it brittle, but 50/50 thickens it up and it doesn't fall off or melt. I can shoot my Enfield as long as I want without having to wipe and accuracy is very good. Smells like a rest home though...

-Nobade