PDA

View Full Version : Selecting new components

bsaride
10-11-2007, 12:44 AM
OK, I have the new (1908) Marlin 30-30 that I will chamber cast and slug the bore.
New things for me to do (I have the cerrosafe and a brass rod) and will tackle it this weekend.

I would like to know what you think is the most accurate brass that is available for the 30-30. I'm not looking for benchrest results but since I have to buy new brass I want to get the best available.

This weekend I will be digging out the footlocker that has all my old reloading gear (at least 10 years since I touched it). I believe I have RCBS gear and a Dillon RL450. I am also considering trying the 310 tool. I believe I have 30-30 dies and brass from before. Sounds like I should get the factory crimp die as well.

I would like to know the main differences for selecting a gas check bullet design vs. a flat base or even a bevel base.

Back to square one on bullet lube also, how do you go about selecting the right lube?

Bret4207
10-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Considering the platform, similar to my 30WCF, I've not had BAD luck with any brand of brass. As far as the boolit design goes, IME bevel base = dismal results. The GC will be easier to find an accurate load for regardless of speed. The PB might well work up to full power loads if you hit the right combo, but generally they seem to work best up to 12-1400 fps depending on the load/alloy/design/rifle combination.

Were I you I'd choose a GC FN or RN design of around 170 gr and start there. I'm a fan of the RCBS 180FN, but the Lyman 311291 is reputed to be very, very good. Many folks have excellent results with the Lee designs and they are available for much less $$ than the others. For plinking Unique works great and you can go all the way up to full power loads with 30 gr 3031. Get that gear out and have some fun!

MT Chambers
10-11-2007, 02:54 PM
If you want accuracy out to 100 yds., avoid bevel base above all, and for the 30/30 I would suggest a bullet with a gas check, Lyman 31041 works best for me..

Whaump 'em
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Winchester brass is more consistent than Remington, but has a little less capacity.
A gas check will keep you from melting the base at hunting velocities.
I think the Lyman 311041 or the Lee C309-170-F would be good choices for a mold, this could change depending on your throat and bore size.
I tried 200gr bullets in the 30-30 and wasn't satisfied with the result.