PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a centerfire breech block for my #2 RB

texassako
07-31-2013, 02:31 PM
After 18 months, I kind of forgot about inquiring on one. The Rifle Shoppe called to say they had a few come in. I did not want to mess up the original rimfire one even though it is a .32. Now I need to find someone to fit it to the rifle, as well as put on a new barrel or reline the old one. Any suggestions? Looks to be pretty good quality to me, and already has the firing pin and retaining screw holes.

Reg
07-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Very nice looking casting but you are a long ways from having a usable part. Lots of machine work and fitting. Those holes are a "token" hole only. They may or may not even be where they need to be and for sure are not a correct dia. Good project though, hang in there.

Nobade
07-31-2013, 08:27 PM
You might want to talk to John Taylor, here on this forum. It looks like it would be right up his alley.

-Nobade

texassako
08-01-2013, 06:55 PM
You might want to talk to John Taylor, here on this forum. It looks like it would be right up his alley.

-Nobade

I thought so as well after reading his responses in other threads, but he has a pretty long wait time currently. Pondering doing it myself after trial fitting it almost had it drop in. The pin hole needs reaming about .010", needs a firing pin(already made several of those including this rifle's current one), firing pin retaining screw(looks simple), and cleaning up all the casting marks. The toughest part looks to be fitting the pad that controls the headspace(?) gap between the breech block and hammer. I just noticed this evening it is cut out to fit a disk with the extractor groove cut in the outside circumference so it does not need to be cut in the casting UPDATE now told that is for a rotary extractor.

drinks
08-05-2013, 03:18 PM
There are a lot of options, the barrel can be rechambered to any of several pistol cartridges or to .32-20.
I have just finished converting a cute little #4 to .32 20.
I did redo the block and make a new firing pin.

Nobade
08-05-2013, 08:29 PM
There are a lot of options, the barrel can be rechambered to any of several pistol cartridges or to .32-20.

Did you have to remove metal off the top of the block? I ask because I built a #4 in 32 H&R and the cartridge really is too long to load easily. I wish I had done it in 32 S&W Long instead. I also wish I had never fired any smokeless loads in it. It was fine for a few years with black powder, then one day I tried ONE round loaded with Trailboss. Now the takedown mechanism is loose and needs attention.

-Nobade

texassako
08-05-2013, 09:58 PM

The barrel is rotten on this one, a 5/16" drill bit drops in a few inches from the muzzle end and swallows most of it from the breech end. The barrel is only .7" across the flats at the muzzle end; so I am relining it with a .25 cal liner from TJ's and chambering in .25-20. 1/10" on either side seems to thin for comfort to fit a 1/2" .32 cal liner and keep it the original bore size. The drilling it out idea came from an old thread by geargnasher on converting a .32 to .22 using a 5/16" bit to take out the little bit of rifling left, but I have another bit being made up with a 5/16" pilot to follow that one. It sounded better than trying to follow a bore that varied so much in size.

4060MAY
08-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Texassako
looking at the picture of your casting
The block looks like it is for a rotary extractor
if your gun is a sliding extractor, the conversion may be difficult
I had my friend make one for my No.2, it was originally a 32 rimfire
I relined it to 30 cal amd chambered it in 30-20, 1-10 twist
TJ liner, shoots good, using 120 gr group buy mold

texassako
08-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Texassako
looking at the picture of your casting
The block looks like it is for a rotary extractor
if your gun is a sliding extractor, the conversion may be difficult
I had my friend make one for my No.2, it was originally a 32 rimfire
I relined it to 30 cal amd chambered it in 30-20, 1-10 twist
TJ liner, shoots good, using 120 gr group buy mold

I believe you are right on it being for a rotary extractor after a little more looking. Anybody have a pic of the rotary extractor? All I have seen are the little bar extractors and the larger rifle rotary extractors. I was going to silver solder in a steel ring with the extractor cutout.