PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Scope Question

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
07-31-2013, 12:52 PM
I wasn't sure where else to put this but since it will be for deer season I put it here. I need suggestions for an EER scope that will tolerate 357 MAX and 44 mag out of a TC contender pistol. I know that magnums can be tough on scopes and I want something that will hold up well. My budget isn't unlimited, but I always prefer to buy something once, so I don't mind paying for it.

And yes, I do realize that mounting is also a concern for hard-hitting calibers on the contender. Any barrel this scope gets put on will be sent to Bellm for a 6 hole base.

Cosmiceyes
07-31-2013, 06:01 PM
I would order it directly from Burris. I like fine cross hairs at 2 power. Moving deer are hard to track when you yourself are in branches of tree/bushes with higher powers. Neither pistol recoils that hard,as I have a 10" Contender with TC mounts on a older Leupold. I use 180 gr. cast lead,and 200 gr j's. When you get into a 444 case necked down as SSK does then 3 ring bases. After all it's Deer cartridge versus Elephant cartridge! The big 3 pistol scopes came from Burris,Leupold,and Redfield. I do have a newer Weaver that came on a barrel trade of a 357 Herritt 12 inch. It's a spot on target wrecker. It has just the two rings. Kicks way harder than my 357 Super Mag.(I knew Elgin Gates.)

dale2242
07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
2X or variable Leupold.
Cosmiceyes is right about the low power to acquire the target.
Those Tenders can be real hard on optics....dale

Ramjet-SS
07-31-2013, 10:56 PM
I like the Burris and Leopold but also love using the Trijicon RMR or Burris Fast Fire III with the smallest dot available. The red dots quoted above are tough as they come many hundreds of rounds on a 475 Linebaugh stills works and holds it zero.

jhalcott
08-01-2013, 12:09 AM
I THINK 2x makes the target LOOK smaller and harder to see the kill zone. I do like a variable scope, 2x to 7 or 8x. I can spot the deer at 2 or 3x, then zoom in to whatever x I need. I do NOT usually shoot at running deer, unless it is wounded. I ALWAYS take a rest on a branch, big rock or fence. Most of the time I have a tripod/walking stick with me. I no longer walk through the woods as I could/did when I was younger! Burris and Leupold make excellent EER scopes as do other makers. Look thru as many as possible before you spend the $$. MY choice has been Leupold but I have got several makes on my barrels.

leftiye
08-01-2013, 04:34 AM
I like to get used Leupold M8 4X scopes off of ebay for heavy recoiling peestolz. Moderate price, and good quality, and strength. Plus lifetime guarantee. IMO, all of the new scopes cost two or three times what they're worth.

NVScouter
08-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Love my Leuopld but the Burris has handled 45-70 7-30waters and tons of 357herrett Rounds. If I was to buy another handgun scope it would be a Burris

dk17hmr
08-03-2013, 10:04 AM
How about a Red dot? If your shots are close range a Ultra Dot might fit your needs very well.

rush1886
08-03-2013, 03:20 PM
My vote goes to both Burris and Ultradot. My 12" contender 357max has been wearing the Burris for around 10 years, with my 12" 375JDJ wearing the Ultradot for about the same timespan. Both are excelent optics.

Every man has to satisfy his own mind, but with either the max or the 44, IMHO, you don't need to go the 6hole route. 4 works just fine. My 375JDJ does wear 3 sets of rings, but still attaches to the barrel with just 4 holes/screws.