PDA

View Full Version : Casting spoon

TheGrimReaper
07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Give you fellers a heads up. I was at ChinaMart AKA Walmart this morning, and in the camping section they have great big stainless steel spoons for $2.47. Had to grab one. Will make a great skimmer/stirring spoon.

country gent
07-31-2013, 10:26 AM
A few months back at Krogers I found a grill brush all stainless long handle and a brush end almost 3" square. I took the brush off ( 4 screws) and it makes a great paddle for stiring fluxing my Dutch oven pot. I to use the big serving spoons for skimming the dross off. I like the square edges on this cleaner for scraping the bottom and side of the pot. And at its size it does a good job agitating the pot when fluxing.

mdi
07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks Reaper. When I go to town, I'll look that up. One of my favorite tools is a Navy surplus stainless serving spoon. I got it at "Sad Sack's" many years ago...

mold maker
07-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Lots of stuff from commercial kitchens are useful to our hobby. There is a big booth at a local flea market that has everything from closed restaurants.
The fryer baskets are great for washing/sifting range scrap. Lots of ladles, spatulas, and spoons, for smelting and pouring. Even SS pots made of heavy metal.

ACrowe25
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Been looking for one rats heavy duty enough. This may work. Thanks for the heads up.