PDA

View Full Version : 7-30 Waters Win.94AE 24"bbl

Cosmiceyes
07-31-2013, 04:25 AM
I was trying some 145gr FNGC (SAECO mold) and found pressure signs.Flattened primers. I'm thinking maybe to much boolit for the system,and maybe get a 135 gr. I'm goinf to start over on the 145 load to a different powder,and at the bottom of the scale.Anyone else have any experience with this type system? What works in loads,and maybe another mold?

nekshot
07-31-2013, 09:47 AM
maybe a little less powder? Don't know what your load is but if that is a 7mm mold it should work with correct load.

Cosmiceyes
08-01-2013, 04:03 AM
maybe a little less powder? Don't know what your load is but if that is a 7mm mold it should work with correct load.

I went back,and reviewed everything I did. I found I didn't check my bore size. So clean barrel,and getting ready to slug. The load was set to the bottom of suggested loads.

376Steyr
08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Do standard jacketed loads also flatten primers in your rifle? A flattened primer doesn't always mean excessive pressure.

Cosmiceyes
08-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Do standard jacketed loads also flatten primers in your rifle? A flattened primer doesn't always mean excessive pressure.

No I have so many boxes of the original load with the Nosler boolits. The cases hardly even stretch with j's. But I just got to miking the cast boolits,and I am wondering if I have to much surface riding the bore. I think I'll look for a lighter mold.I have the #281 SAECO,and should have bought the #070. Wonder who might have experience with the Lyman 287346? It has a round nose,so it should be safe in the tube,and it only weighs 135 gr.I can use the 145 gr in my 7x57.

Cosmiceyes
08-04-2013, 02:52 AM

ammohead
08-04-2013, 04:21 AM
I have the same rifle and use a LBT LFN 130 gr that Veral made for me from a chamber impression (his method) before he was a guest of our government. I still have the letter that accompanied the mould. I got good results using rediculously slow powders ie imr 7828 a full case. But got the best results from VVN170. No flattening of primers with these loads. Took a mule deer doe several years ago with this combination and lost count of how many mule deer, bucks and does with Hornady 139 gr condom jobbies and RL15. One sweet rifle, and one heck of a deer cartridge. I ordered my 94 sight unseen in 1985. It arrived with a beautifully burled buttstock with plenty of fire. Will never be sold in my lifetime.

Cosmiceyes
08-04-2013, 08:11 PM
It is the best light deer rifle I ever bought. My longest kill was 350 by my old Bushnell sideways periscope rangefinder. I figure it may be 320 as it was made in the 70's. I.m going to watch for a small 120-130 gr. FNGC . I see people making lot's of these buyer groups on that subject. I hunted with it on the opposite side of the mountains from you in kalif. Moved to the Blue Ridge area of Virginia where I hunted with it from 88-2005 there. Now down here in the suthern end of kalif. looking to go hunt up north again. I have seen where people have modified a mold by putting new plates at the nose of the boolit. That would be away to modify the one I have.

JSH
08-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Not in a rifle but in a tc. I have tried a few molds and all are a bit large on the bore riding nose for the 7mms I have tried. I now have a .277 sizer I am going to size a few noses and try that.
Jeff

Cosmiceyes
08-05-2013, 01:25 AM
It's a great cartridge. j-boolits are a dream in this caliber. I sure hope we squeeze some good loads,and molds out of a lot of people. I would like a TC rifle barrel for my Contender.I think all dress to kill they're just over 5 pounds.I hope someone comes in with information on a good lite flat point gas check mold that is available.

ammohead
08-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Cosmiceyes,

Shoot me a pm with a mailing address. I have a care package for you. You can always try to duplicate it with a Mountain Moulds copy. I have had good luck using their web page for designing custom moulds.

ammohead

Cosmiceyes
08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Cosmiceyes,

Shoot me a pm with a mailing address. I have a care package for you. You can always try to duplicate it with a Mountain Molds copy. I have had good luck using their web page for designing custom molds.

ammohead

Sent a PM. I have Mountain Molds Co. on my saved web page bookmarks. I iz fall cleaning all toys today. Taking some new pictures for the ones for sale of trade. So it's clean wash hands respond to mail,clean ....etc.... Looks like the high desert behind you,is it?

Oh,not my gun! This is a 20". :)'s

ammohead
08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
That picture was taken about 18 miles Nw of Gerlach Nevada on the western edge of the Smoke Creek desert.

Cosmiceyes
08-07-2013, 09:58 PM
That picture was taken about 18 miles Nw of Gerlach Nevada on the western edge of the Smoke Creek desert.

Looks like your going to be over dressed there. You want need that fur coat in your hands! I went to LBT for a look around. I think you have found me a good place to hunt! :)'s
Cleaning in the office.It has Air Conditioner! My 7-30 Waters,no safety button;1.5X4.5 Bushnell still set up for the Virginia Blue Ridge Forest! Thinking of 2X6-7 now.

Cosmiceyes
08-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Thank you ammohead! Wow!

Ammohouse
08-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Very cool!
I've had my Contender for a long time and have killed a lot of animals with it...farthest was a Antelope doe @350yds witnessed....pretty good for a 14" barrel.
I'd love to have a matching Levergun!!!!!

Cosmiceyes
08-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Very cool!
I've had my Contender for a long time and have killed a lot of animals with it...farthest was a Antelope doe @350yds witnessed....pretty good for a 14" barrel.
I'd love to have a matching Levergun!!!!!

I have been looking for a rifle barrel for my Contender.(G2) Then I could use some different cast boolits.I might have to have one made to get the riflings slowed down enough for a 104 grain cast boolit.