PDA

View Full Version : Restocking the 300 Weatherby

1874Sharps
07-30-2013, 10:11 PM
My son and I undertook a project together over the last several months -- restocking a 300 Weatherby Magnum. We bought a 96% inletted stock from Richards Microfit. They make a great blank in many styles and grades and their prices are good. For a little extra they installed a good recoil pad and sling swivels. The whole thing was under $200. The stocks come a bit rough and far from being ready for finishing. But with a little rasping and sanding we got it ready for an oil finish. After 13 coats with fine sanding or steel wool sanding in between we got the finish on and cured. We used a fine grade automotive buffing compound to bring it to a high gloss shine, as the Weatherby was when it left the factory new. We bought checkering tools and executed the checkering of the stock after doing a practice run on a cheap $75 muzzleloader. (The first two panels on the muzzleloader turned out like an eighth grade shop project, the third looked so-so and the fourth was good, so we proceeded to the Weatherby.) It has been quite a fun and rewarding project with my son who recently got out of the army and is staying with us while he goes back to school. Below are some pictures:

Hardcast416taylor
07-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Very nice job. I`ve done 4 or 5 stocks from Richard`s and yes they do need a bit more wood working than their optomistic 95% inlet description states.Robert

smoked turkey
07-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Very nice. I admire someone who takes the bull by the horns and does it. The whole job looks awesome. Very good project for the two of you.

waksupi
07-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Nice job!

W.R.Buchanan
08-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Looks very nice. I also found that 95% inletted actually means more like 80%.

I got really nice wood for My Springfield 03A3 conversion for $109.

You just have to put a little more work into them but in the end you get a much nicer looking gun for what you have invested.

Randy