PDA

View Full Version : S&W Trigger Work

Tatume
07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Hello Folks,

Who would you recommend for a super nice trigger job on an N-frame S&W? Does anybody do the really exotic work like Walt Sherman and Jack Huntington used to do on Pythons? How magical are the Cylinder and Slide actions?

Thanks, Tom

Hickory
07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
I Googled Warren Moore, Kansas City.
He must be a painter who keep his gunsmithing a secret.

Phone # or site address would be nice.

bobthenailer
07-31-2013, 10:36 AM
First try a reduced trigger/hammer spring kits from Wilson or Wolff @ $20.00 or less , either kit will go alot towards a better SA & DA trigger pulls, and it may be all you really need instead of a $150.00 + hand honed trigger job .
I have 2 S&W revolvers hand honed there are a little sweeter but all my other S&W revolvers just have the spring kits installed and im fine with them , usually you can reduce SA to low as 2 lb depends on which spring you choise , Usually there are 2 to 3 different trigger spring weights in the kit . with the reduced main spring your DA pull wil go from 11lb+ to around 7 or 8 lb and it only takes about 15 min or less to install the spring kit.

Tatume
07-31-2013, 11:31 AM
I've heard that Cylinder and Slide used to do a roller bearing conversion. I can't find mention of it on their web site. Supposedly it was DAO. Anybody know anything about it?

Thanks, Tom

km101
07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
I Googled Warren Moore, Kansas City.
He must be a painter who keep his gunsmithing a secret.

Phone # or site address would be nice.

Last phone # I had was: (636) 287-6720

Address: 2004 Hilltop Dr. Arnold, Missouri not KC.

Don't know if this info is still correct.

Tatume
07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Tom, What about Bayside Custom Guns? Right around the corner from ya in Mathews. I may be going there this weekend.

PM Sent.

22cf45
08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Tatume
I just noticed you live in Virginia so you might want to talk to either Sandy or Robbie Garrett who own Northern Virginia Gun Works located in Springfield, VA. They have built 1911's for me to use in Bullseye competition and did the trigger on a Python for me. Their work is first class and I have no reservations in my recommendation.
Phil
Phil

357mags
08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Don't start messing with spring kits and other aftermarket ****! For the price of this junk you can have the best trigger job in the world done. Go to John Bleauvelt's website. It's the best trigger job you're gonna' get without breaking the bank, needless parts, and a long wait!

BCgunworks
08-02-2013, 11:18 AM
There is more than one way to skin this cat.

Smoothing a lightening up a smith is a task a competent gunsmith should be able to take care of for you. And there are many Licensed and Insured smiths out there...and there are many that are not.

Stoning sears in a smith and wesson is not something for the faint of heart. To get clean crisp double and single action pulls in the smiths normally just machine marks, burrs, and rough corners need to be removed. Along with some rebound work.

Very seldom do the actual sear angles need changed.

I like to work with the factory hammer spring but almost always switch out the re bound spring for a high quality....not always a lighter...one.

RobsTV
08-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Might want to give S&W Performance Center a call.

Even the normal S&W warranty work (not performance center) made the trigger on my Shield 40 about as good as an Apex kit. Huge difference, and this from a normal tech at S&W, not the Performance Center. Also keeps lifetime warranty fully intact, which might not be the case with 3rd party work.