PDA

View Full Version : beretta cx4 storm, ar9mm, or ar in 300blk

mike_kaleigh
07-30-2013, 07:13 PM
i am thinking about getting a semi auto rifle to shoot cast boolits with. first my wife and i already have a 9mm handguns, xds, xdsc. and i cast for them already. and i already have an bushmaster ar in 223. i also have a lee 160 .311 tl mold i use in a 308. but i will have the extra money at the end of the year for a new rifle. i started thinking about a beretta, it is easy to load for, i have tons of brass and bullets and reliable with lead. and i was also thinking an ar in 9mm but have seen guys at the range have problems with adapters and jams. and there is the 300 blk upper. i can make brass but can you get them to cycle reliably with lead bullets. also i can make high power loads with it. all are about the same price 700 to 900 bucks. witch one would you guys go with and why????

timspawn
07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
If you get a 9mm AR spend the few extra $ and get the Colt 6450. Prices have have come back to earth on black rifles. A Colt will always be worth more later if you decide to get rid of it. The two I have are not picky as far as their diet goes. They also cycle sub sonic rounds nicely. Shooting with a suppressor on Sunday all I could hear was "snick" when the bullet hit the berm.

300blk
08-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Like mynamesake ive gone with the 300blk.
I like 9mm carbines theyare light, cheap to shoot, and according to last years primer usage i go through 40 k or so 9mm, so ammo is always availible,

The reason i went with the blackout is: versatilityand power.
I figure if im going to have a rifle it oughtta shoot a more powerful cartridge.
I cast for it, almost exclusively. Lees 311-155 works great. So does the midway 230-5r for plinking. If you get one absolutley get a pistol length gas system, With Your concerns with cylcling being what they are..
I like the 1:8 twist, and mine is sbr'd @9 inch. You dont gain a helluva lot with 16 inch bbl.
Regarding suppressed use: perfect.
Its late and ipad typing is awful , but if you have any specific questions ill do my best to answer them.

Jupiter7
08-08-2013, 05:44 AM
If you own any Ar's, the 300blk is easy choice from a parts share standpoint. Also, no funny mags to buy. The beretta would be neat as a companion to a 92. If ballistics are of any issue,300blk wins there too. With supers, cycling is a non issue.

Mud Eagle
08-08-2013, 07:29 AM
The CX4 is a fun companion piece to the 92FS and fun to shoot as well (although IMHO it is an acquired taste due to the trigger and cheek-slap).

I have not considered the .300BLK simply because I don't want to add another cartridge and setup to the reloading/stocking stable.