PDA

View Full Version : Dog question...

Char-Gar
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM
What breed of dog would bark/alert if there was something or someone amiss around the place AND can share a home with cats and not make life difficult for them? Any ideas?

pumpguy
10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Labs!!!

NVcurmudgeon
10-10-2007, 07:34 PM
My home has always been all dog, but mine have always been kind to cat visitors IN THE HOUSE. Dogs and cats that are raised together soon learn a mutual respect, or so it seems among many of my friends and relatives. Most homes with mixed dogs and cats that I have seen seem to favor bird dog types. I do know from personal experience that Akitas are very bad news for cats. A neighbor's Akita got out of its locked yard and murdered three pet cats in one trip around our block, including the next door cat that was a close personal friend of mine.

scb
10-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Three Dobermans, 1 cat. When you do it right YOU set the rules. Should be easy if your getting a pup and already have a cat. Steve

Bret4207
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
10 dogs here, I don't actually own any of them. Lab, Dalmatian, 2 beagles, 2 Boston Terriers, Australian shepherd, Border Collie, American Eskimo and a mutt. The Siamese cross cats consider the dogs their personal slaves to annoy, wrassle, irritate and to sleep on. The dogs cower in fear. Sorta.

sundog
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Got 2 of'em. Brother and sister from two litters apart. Mamma is a black lab and daddy of older one is a rottenwieler (nice dog, but now gone), and the pappa of little female had some chow evidently evidence black spots on tongue. Mutts, but my mutts. Bark when uncomfortable, warm up to strangers slowly and lay on the day bed in the sun room with the miss priss queen of the place, a cat named 'Booger' because of the coloration of her nose - looks like she needs a wipe. In fact the other cat regularly beats up on the younger dog for sniffing around - paws to the nose kinda thing. They all stay home together without tearing stuff up.

Lab or lab mix usually have good nature.

BruceB
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Our five housecats (and three or four yard cats) all get along fine with our two big dogs.

The Anatolian female, Zara, came to the household as a puppy, and quickly learned the dos-and-don'ts of sharing with felines. Otis, our Anatolian OR Leonberger male, is a rescued dog who was around a year old or thereabouts on arrival, and over 100 pounds even in his malnourished condition. It took some weeks before he regarded cats as anything other than chew-toys or mobile snacks, but he did learn. He's now a massive 150-plus, and it's comical to see the cats snuggle up to him for naps.

They all co-exist quite nicely now, except for the occasional spat which is normal for all families.

Both dogs are forever on the alert, especially when the coyotes come close-in at night as they have been recently. They also watch-dog very efficiently against strange vehicles and people.

Pilgrim
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Had a bunch of flavors thru the years. The BEST, by far, for all around protection, tolerance of other critters, etc. was my Rottweiler. However, DO NOT get a rottweiler unless you are willing to put the time and effort into training/teaching them the rules. They are headstrong (especially the males) and will challenge you every step of the way. They also are puppies (mentally) until they are about 5 yrs old. From that point on till death they won't wander, will protect you and anything they figger is yours (and by extension theirs) and is smarter than you can believe. All that said, after mine died (~ age 10 yrs about 4 yrs ago) I decided to not replace him with another rottweiler. Way too much work to train him to the level I insist and then have my buddy die 5 yrs later. Current dog crop are all strays...one acquired three yrs ago as a puppy (cross between an shepherd and a St. Bernard), one found wandering (pure bred cocker spaniel...pretty dumb (show dog type)) but good pet. Hates one of our cats but likes the other two...go figure. The third is some sort of terrier - chow + maybe other stuff that oldest son left with us after his divorce. The dogs all tolerate, even llike the cats, except for that cocker spaniel and the (mostly wild) siamese mix my wife keeps around. Anyway, how you train them is how they will behave. Some are much much harder to train, but seem to be the best dogs when trained. Dunno why...FWIW Pilgrim

floodgate
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
"It is estimated that it took Man 10,000 years to domesticate the Dog; a good Cat can domesticate a whole family in about three days."

OR...

"Dogs have owners; cats have staff."

floodgate

singleshotbuff
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a 100 pound mutt. Chow and Shepard mix I think. Great guard dog, great with kids and very tolerant of cats.

Our 2 indoor cats eat from his bowl, drink from his water and sleep on his bed. He never even growls at them. Our 2 outdoors cats rub all over his muzzle when he's outside and generally think he's one of them.

We've had him since my daughter was an infant (she's 8 now), he always watches over both my kids and I believe he would kill or maim over them. Protective of my wife too. He's our "second" line of home security (locked door, dog, guns).

I've always been owned by mutts, I think they are the best family pets.

SSB

fatnhappy
10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/ExtremeSelfConfidence.jpg

nitroproof
10-10-2007, 09:47 PM
World's best watch dog... an American Eskimo (AKA Spitz).

Boz330
10-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Had a bunch of flavors thru the years. The BEST, by far, for all around protection, tolerance of other critters, etc. was my Rottweiler. However, DO NOT get a rottweiler unless you are willing to put the time and effort into training/teaching them the rules. They are headstrong (especially the males) and will challenge you every step of the way. They also are puppies (mentally) until they are about 5 yrs old. From that point on till death they won't wander, will protect you and anything they figger is yours (and by extension theirs) and is smarter than you can believe. All that said, after mine died (~ age 10 yrs about 4 yrs ago) I decided to not replace him with another rottweiler. Way too much work to train him to the level I insist and then have my buddy die 5 yrs later. Current dog crop are all strays...one acquired three yrs ago as a puppy (cross between an shepherd and a St. Bernard), one found wandering (pure bred cocker spaniel...pretty dumb (show dog type)) but good pet. Hates one of our cats but likes the other two...go figure. The third is some sort of terrier - chow + maybe other stuff that oldest son left with us after his divorce. The dogs all tolerate, even llike the cats, except for that cocker spaniel and the (mostly wild) siamese mix my wife keeps around. Anyway, how you train them is how they will behave. Some are much much harder to train, but seem to be the best dogs when trained. Dunno why...FWIW Pilgrim

+1 on the Rottweiler. I have had 4, all females. They don't seem to be as bad as the males, but are headstrong. All of them barked at anything that goes bump in the night or day for that matter. They are also very observant for things out of place. My first one would notice if you moved the picnick table in the back yard and go on the alert. All of them were good with kids, but the first one and the one I have now will go out of there way to be with kids. Her internal clock knows exactly when the twins across the street get home from daycare and she wants out to go play with them.
All of mine were around people from when they were puppies and while barking at people coming to the house they never went after them. The one exception was a telephone repairman that came to work on the phone line. My wife told him where to find the box and he went to work on it. When he finished he knocked on the door and she called for him to come in. The dog was in the living room sleeping and when she heard the door open she figured that it wasn't my wife and immediately had the guy backed in a corner and wouldn't let him move. She didn't bite him but sure put the fear of god in him. I got on my wife about it since she should have known better. It was nice to know that the dog knew the difference though.
I live in a rural area and some years back a crew of crooks came down the road I live on and burgularized a bunch of houses on the Rd. in 1 day. They hit the houses up and down the road from mine but skipped mine and the one across the street. The neighbor was convinced it was because of the Rot who sort of concidered both places as hers.
Pilgrim is right about them having extended puppyhood but they sure are loving dogs and they don't live near long enough. I would think that a cross between a Rot and Lab would be a really good combination and probably live a little longer.
They get a bum rap as being mean. Any dog can be mean a Rot just has the ass to back it up if they are. But like most dogs it is how they are raised.
All of mine got along with cats in the house. The second one was hell on them outside though and we have a lot of feral cats. She kept the population in check on my farm though and you could tell it in the increase of the rabbit population.
If you get the impression I like Rots, your right.

Bob
The current house guard.

Char-Gar
10-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks Guys.... I have always had dogs and cats together with no problems. I have three neutered male housecats (Murphy, Chuy and Beemer) now and one dog (Cairn Terrier - Abby) at the present time. They all live together in peace and harmony. Abby is getting up in years and I fear here time is short. She still eats well and enjoys life, but she is really slowing down.

I am just sorta looking to the future.

armoredman
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM
My house dogs are much smaller, two Cocker Spaniels, and 4 cats. All get along well, and the cockers havedeep barks, like dogs much bigger than them. Both are fiercely protective of the house and contents, and I have no fear they will not handly themselves well with an intruder. A cocker I had years ago, (passed away due to cancer early this year), tangled with three full grown black labs, back when he was young. Sam was on a leash, me walking him, and the labs were running free. Sam held his own, and three labs ran away bleeding, and Sam didn't have a scratch. Never underestimate the amount of fight in the dog.

jabshooter
10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Got 2 of'em. Brother and sister from two litters apart. Mamma is a black lab and daddy of older one is a rottenwieler (nice dog, but now gone), and the pappa of little female had some chow evidently evidence black spots on tongue. Mutts, but my mutts. Bark when uncomfortable, warm up to strangers slowly and lay on the day bed in the sun room with the miss priss queen of the place, a cat named 'Booger' because of the coloration of her nose - looks like she needs a wipe. In fact the other cat regularly beats up on the younger dog for sniffing around - paws to the nose kinda thing. They all stay home together without tearing stuff up.

Lab or lab mix usually have good nature.

NO-- not mutts-you do those fine General Purpose Dogs a disservice. They'll outlive the purebreds.
We're cat people but our old guy would have beaten the stuffing out of any dog that dared enter his house . The curent feline resident a 24 # Norwegian Forest Cat is the most gentle creature I've ever seen.
Best to the gang,
John

Old Ironsights
10-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Nuthin wrong with a good o' Hound....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/dogcat1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/dogcat2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/dogcat3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/dogcat4.jpg

'Course, some folks live in Citified areas, so they need Metrosexual Dogs too. Cat's Love 'em. ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/dogcat5.jpg

Boz330
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Those shots are great. Those eyes almost shout out "oh the indignaties I have to put up with".

Bob

fourarmed
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
If your main concern is early warning rather than physical protection, it is hard to beat a dachshund or dachshund/terrier cross. They don't eat as much as the big growlers, and they can go right down a hole after varmints. Mine would hunt with the cats.

kellyj00
10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I had no pets before my *now wife* moved in. She brought with her a papillion (butterfly dog) weighs in at about 6 lbs, size of a chihuahua but has a lot more fur. He's actually a pretty manly little bugger for a 6lber, his attitude reminds me of a german shepard.

Anyhow, he's (the dog) has a Cat. The cat outweighs him by quite a bit, and he keeps the cat in line. They play together all the time. He's also very low maintenance, wash him in the kitchen sink, he eats all of 1/4 cup of food a day and he's very very fast, reminds me of a border collie.

Shameless plug for a Papillion, I know...but I've never considered the smaller breeds until I met this one. He's probably the best pet I've ever had. I'm still trying to talk her into letting me get a beagle. ;)

crabo
10-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I agree with SBC. You set the rules. The animals can get along if you start them early. I have a Blue Heeler and an Australian Shepherd. Both really watch the house, stay close, and are very social. When we would go to my in-laws in the Ozarks, they hang out close to the house with no fences. When you come out, they are ready to go with you.

I also think you want to get a breed that becomes attached to you, and wants to be with you. Much better than a breed that wants to always run off.

I love German Shepherds, but they are big dogs and it's a pretty sure bet they are gonna have hip problems. That is pretty hard to go through after you have had them for 12 or 13 years.

My choice would be one of the herding dogs. They will watch your children, they are territorial, they are quite vocal about strangers coming up, and they become attached to you.

Crabo

Old Ironsights
10-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Herders are great. Shelties, Collies, etc.

But I like'em best as crossbreeds with Pullers.

I had a Collie/Husky who was fabulous. Also a Shepherd/Samoyed bitch who was the perfect "Nurse Maid" dog.

Lobo (the C/H) scared the bejebers out of a dogsitter once when the poor little thing let Candy out of the house then (unwisely) let Lobo off his chain. Lobo bolted from his doghouse and sat in front of the back door to the house and would NOT let the girl in... at least not until Candy was done and came trotting back in.

Then lobo walked nonchalantly back to his doghouse and waited to be chained up again.

Can't leave the house "unprotected" doncha know. ;)

Pilgrim
10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
After we got out Rottweiler, we started researching their background, history, etc. What we found out dumbfounded us. Rottweilers were bred and developed to be herd dogs! Back in the medeival days farmers would use the dog to herd their animals to market, and then after the sale, they would put the proceeds in a leather pouch tied under the chin of the dog for the trip home. Lots of highway robbers back then, but apparently very few of the robbers wanted to have anything to do with the dog. I witnessed the herding instincts first hand many many times. Our dog was named Schwartzi. His registered name was Schwartzi Koffenegger - a mixture of Norman Schwartzkopf and Arnold Schwartzenegger - both big guys, etc. It seemed appropriate at the time. Anyway, Schwartzi would round up our steers into a small group and herd them into a corner of the pasture and just hold them there. I guess just for fun. I know the steers didn't like it, but a bite on the nose convinced them to mind. He also (on several occasions) herded stray herds of cows that got away from the neighbors pastures. Sometimes I had him put 'em into our pasture to hold them. and then had him help seperate the cows (ours from theirs) when the owners came to retrieve the lost critters. Other times I had him herd the critters back to their own pastures. He was never trained to do any of the herding. Most amazing to watch given what he was trained to do. Tremendous nose as well. FWIW - Info I guess - Pilgrim

Boz330
10-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Just had to jump in here again after that story. My first Rot Gretchen would round all the calves up and put them in the corral and then just hold them there till she got tired of the game. She was never trained to do that just did it on her own. She was sometimes a help in moving cattle, other times a detriment. To her it was a game and she didn't care whether she was chasing or being chased. One or two of my cows didn't really appreciate the game and would run her but they always lost.
She would track a deer in a heartbeat. When walking through the woods it was like someone grabbed her collar and yanked her head down when she crossed a fresh scent trail.

Bob