View Full Version : Starline brass stamped 45 Colt Blank?

DHurtig
07-30-2013, 01:38 PM
How is this different from regular brass ? Can it be used to load regular 45 colt ammo?

Jupiter7
07-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Flash hole is a different size. No, do not load bullets into these cases.

markinalpine
07-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Some time ago there was a thread questioning Winchester .45 ACP "WinClean" rounds that were made (maybe still are) with enlarged .140" flash holes for use with lead-free primers. Winchesters web-site did address this issue at that time because many people apparently wrote or called them asking if they could be used for regular reloading, and at that time Winchester's web-site did have a FAQ section with the answer that you could use these cases for normal reloads using regular components.
It's not there anymore.
I have used these Win-clean cartridges, which besides having lead-free primers, had a enclosed base bullet with an exposed lead nose. They were also described as "round nose flat tip."
I have also found range pick up .45ACP brass with either larger than typical flash holes, Speer comes to mind, and some of the foreign brands made either in Europe and Korea often have larger than normal and sometimes ragged flash holes. These brands seem to work, and I am not aware of pistols blowing up, so I don't know why people say don't use them for reloads. The brass manufacturers might recommend against this practice so they can sell more brass.
Mark :coffeecom

ReloaderFred
07-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Winchester, Federal and Speer tried the larger flash holes with the Diazodinitrophenol (DDNP) priming compound due to the increased brisance of the primers. The theory was the same as firing wax bullets and blanks, to relieve the pressure in the primer pocket so the primers wouldn't back out and lock up the cylinder. It was later that they went to the small pistol primers.

There's plenty of regular .45 Colt brass available for reloading without using the blank brass, though I'm pretty sure with light loads it wouldn't really be a problem. I just leave the blank brass for loading blanks and regular brass for loading ammunition.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Wayne Smith
07-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Humm, wonder how it would work for shot cartridges?

dmize
07-31-2013, 05:55 PM
No I remember the WinClean thing specifically.
My brother in law worked at Wal Mart back then and gave me 4 boxes of 45ACP for Christmas.
My main thought at the time was "WOW free brass".
My first reloads which were far from hot WW231 and 200 RN loads flattened the primers. It was then that I noticed the larger flash hole. And then they all went into the trash.
My best semi scientific assumption was that the larger hole allowed more pressure back into the primer.

markinalpine
07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Mark,
you maybe right, but starline advises against it. For a reason I am sure be it whatever. On the Win Clean 45 ACP I could have sworn it was small primer versus a Large primer that caused the commotion not a enlarged Flash hole. Usually Enlarged flash hole are used in subsonic / galley loads or at least that has been my experiance with Rifle loads. All bets are off on pistol I don't know how it would react for reduced loads , I do know what it will do with regular loads of 2400 unqiue or bulleye take your gun apart without a screwdriver.
But this ole boy will not load them because I am sure that Starline has far more resources than I do to determine what is safe. And I don't shoot blanks in my personal weapons, work weapons differant story.

No.
I used some of these Winclean rounds, and they had Large Pistol primer pockets with large flash holes. I have also "collected" many Speer .45ACP brass casing, and found they had larger than typical flash holes, as were some others of European and Asian manufacture (don't remember the brands.)
Mark [smilie=s: