PDA

View Full Version : Banded boolits

medic44
10-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Don't know if this is the right place. Years ago I read an article about some one who was casting boolits for a 375 H&H but he would put short pieces of copper pipe in the driving bands so that they would bear on the rifleing and he could load to faster muzzel speeds.
1) Has anyone tried this ?

2) If this works, then what about using 1/4 in ID soft copper for an OD of .3125 to be used in .303 7.7 jap 7.62x 39 ect.?

standles
10-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I have not tried it but there was an article about it in the NRA cast bullets handbook. Basically they took a tubing cutter and cut bands from (3/16 or 5/6 can't remember) . theythen placed these in the mould and poured. The claim was being able to achive almost jacketed velocities.

Steven

MT Gianni
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Speciality mold from NEI, AIRC. Gianni

kodiak1
10-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Way to much pi**ing around for something that seems a little on the far side to me.
My two cents

andrew375
10-12-2007, 04:19 AM
There have been several articles by various people but seeing as you specifically mention the .375 it was probably an article called "cast bullet versatility" published in Handloaders digest and written by myself.

What had set me off were articles in Handloader about the Wilke gas check, which was just a normal gas check with the centre punched out.. Basically the inventor was intending simply to enable the cost of gas checks to be reduced by using less metal in their manufacture. However, the Hanloader articles concentrated on the fact that they could be fitted to a plain base bullet by having the metal cast around them. Further experiments showed that by casting Wilke checks into the forward driving bands jacketed bullet velocities and accuracy could be easily obtained.

The reason for my experiments was that I had on hand some lengths of 3/8" OD copper pipe.

Sadly the Wilke check never got anywhere further than these articles and some sets of punches. Ed Wilke died shortly after the articles appeared.