PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on some ingots

Ed Barrett
10-10-2007, 03:49 PM
A Friend of mine I load j word cartridges for every deer season said he had some stuff for me. Went out to his place and in the barn he found some lead I might be interested in. He had about 30 pounds of bar solder about 50 pounds of lead pipe and 36 of these ingots that I have enclosed in the pictures. they have "federated" at both ends and "castomatic"in the middle. They were made in some kind of a 2 or more part mold, they weigh about 40 pounds apiece. They are fairly hard but they don't ring like Lino. They also have a code "298L5249" stamped on each of them. Can any one help?

KAF
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I'd guess they are bar solder. 50/50 maybe

Cherokee
10-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Melt some and see how it comes out. Then cast some in a familiar mold and compare the results with past experience. Go from there.
:castmine:

AZ-Stew
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I did a Yahoo search and found it listed in a bunch of expired e-bay ads at various lead/tin alloy percentages. Couldn't find a manufacturer listing or a reference to the product number you list.

Try Google. You may find an exact match. I don't have time right now.

Regards,

Stew

crowbeaner
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
They are pure lead. Good stuff . I cast up some bullets with some of the castomatic lead this summer. Enjoy. CB

Ed Barrett
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info. By the way the coke can was just to check the size in relation to something , didn't have a ruler handy. they do seem pretty soft after casting up some 1 pound ingots I will likely trade them of to some front stuffer shooters.