PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 magazine tube pin ?

outdoorfan
07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
The tube is backing out on my .357. When I got the gun and was working it over I just figured that retention screw/pin that extends into the bottom of the barrel recess hole wasn't supposed to be that tight. So, I filed it down so it wasn't touching the barrel. I figured by touching the barrel it would mess with the harmonics and degrade accuracy. Well, I didn't think it through first that the pin was tight into the barrel to keep the tube from backing out under recoil.

So, some things we just have to learn the hard way.

2 questions:

1. Have any of you noticed that pin being tight in the barrel causing you accuracy issues?

2. Apparently I need a new pin. Is Rossi the only place I can get one?

BCRider
07-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Well, first off it's a lever gun. So the barrel bands that hold on the forestock and front band are connecting the barrel to the forestock and magazine tube in any event.

It sure doesn't seem to affect it any. Mine shoots as well as my eyes can see and given the stock sights setup.

outdoorfan
07-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Okay, good to know that yours shoots well in the stock/factory configuration.

pietro
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
The tube is backing out on my .357. When I got the gun and was working it over I just figured that retention screw/pin that extends into the bottom of the barrel recess hole wasn't supposed to be that tight. So, I filed it down so it wasn't touching the barrel. I figured by touching the barrel it would mess with the harmonics and degrade accuracy. Well, I didn't think it through first that the pin was tight into the barrel to keep the tube from backing out under recoil.

So, some things we just have to learn the hard way.

2 questions:

1. Have any of you noticed that pin being tight in the barrel causing you accuracy issues? - Nope.

2. Apparently I need a new pin. Is Rossi the only place I can get one? - Nope - most magazine pins are the same size, but I've used a ground-to-length drill bit stem of the appropriate size.

With some things, it's best, not to mess............. :D

outdoorfan
07-30-2013, 02:40 PM
With some things, it's best, not to mess............. :D

I'm in the process of fitting an 8-32 screw into that hole. Not quite done yet.

Calamity Jake
07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
You can get a new end cap screw here: http://stevesgunz.com/

Pick up his CD on working the action too, it's a must have for a rossi owner

outdoorfan
07-30-2013, 02:55 PM
You can get a new end cap screw here: http://stevesgunz.com/

Pick up his CD on working the action too, it's a must have for a rossi owner

Thanks for the info. I have the dvd.

RobS
07-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Yep Rossi or Stevesgunz are the only places I know of right off hand for parts as such. The two Rossi's I have I never messed with and they shoot knock out great as they are. Live and learn.........I've been there many times.

outdoorfan
07-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Yep Rossi or Stevesgunz are the only places I know of right off hand for parts as such. The two Rossi's I have I never messed with and they shoot knock out great as they are. Live and learn.........I've been there many times.

Good to know. I ended up opening up the hole and fitting a stainless 8-32 screw in there. I deepened and widened the indent in the bottom of the barrel. I have it set so that the screw is in the barrel but not putting any upward stress on the barrel. Hope this fixes it. I think it will, and it is now stronger and more rigid than with that little screw/pin the factory puts in there. 190 grain boolit at 1800 fps jars things quite a bit. I can only imagine what a full power .44, .45 Colt or .454 is like. Of course, I realize the .454 has a different/upgraded system.

RobS
07-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Glad you have things put together again......your work will be better than the factory from the sounds of things. I can attest to a 310 grain boolit at 1800 fps from the 454 Casull Rossi and it will get your attention.........I shot a few back when but really stay around 1500 fps or so with the heavies for the top side and around 1200-1300 for the lighter loads. I run a LFN style 235 I designed out of a 45 Colt Rossi at a bit over 1000 fps and its quite a bit of fun and super accurate. Wife loves the 45 Colt rifle and picks cans off a bank at 100 yards from a standing position..........she's quite good actually.

outdoorfan
07-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Glad you have things put together again......your work will be better than the factory from the sounds of things. I can attest to a 310 grain boolit at 1800 fps from the 454 Casull Rossi and it will get your attention.........I shot a few back when but really stay around 1500 fps or so with the heavies for the top side and around 1200-1300 for the lighter loads. I run a LFN style 235 I designed out of a 45 Colt Rossi at a bit over 1000 fps and its quite a bit of fun and super accurate. Wife loves the 45 Colt rifle and picks cans off a bank at 100 yards from a standing position..........she's quite good actually.

Quite good?! Is her name Annie...? :shock:

Question on those tube pins? In your guns are they pushing the barrel up or are they just shy of pushing it up? I find that stuff changes POI tremendously.

RobS
07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
No her name isn't Annie but I wouldn't press my luck standing out there at 100-150 yards when she's holding her 45 Colt Rossi. :) My 454 Casull doesn't have the mag tub pin but the 45 Colt does and it is snugged up on the barrel but doesn't show any upward lift on the barrel. There would be a difference I reckon however if the pin doesn't move and isn't extreme on pushing the barrel upward or loose I would think that shot to shot would be consistent. The two that I have both shoot ragged hole groups off a bench as best as my eyes can see which is around 40-50 yards. Have no problems hitting cans and clay rock at 100 yards with open sights. I did put on a green fiber optics sights which helps a great deal and a Marbles adjustable (windage and elevation) rear sight.

outdoorfan
07-31-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't think I'd be caught standing within 1/4 mile downrange of "Annie". Lol!

I don't think my pin/screw is snug to the barrel, but if not, it is very close. I will just have to shoot it (hopefully tomorrow) and see what happens.

RobS
08-03-2013, 11:16 AM
How did the Rossi shoot?

outdoorfan
08-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Seems to shoot well enough. I unfortunately don't have the most accurate load with this gun, and my load work-up was with a scope. Now I'm shooting irons (Lyman 66 and front XS sight). With the scope I could do 7 inches or so (5 shots) at 200 yards. Now I only sometimes get a group that good with irons.

But when I went to test my "quiet" load (2 grs Red Dog behind a 130 gr hp boolit at 570 fps) at 40 yards, they went into 2 inches or less. So, I think I'm the biggest reason I'm not shooting that great.

The 8-32 pin/screw held just fine. I can't complain. Thanks for asking.

hawkins455054
08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
For a slipping mag tube mine was real bad, the 8-24 would not hold when firing heaver loads, so I fixed it permanently, this link http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-rossi-rifles/98658-fix-slipping-mag-tube-r92.html will show how I fixed it, my friend welded the mag tube to the receiver, then I hogged out the forearm, not much wood there anyway, then hollowed out the end cap, it has not been a problem, the end cap holds the wood in just fine, look at the bottom of the page for the pictures