PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 8mm Mauser split case

MANGYCOYOTE
07-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Had some 1950's surplus Israeli brass disintegrate at the range. Lots of smoke, stung face, etc. Good glasses and a light load probably saved me some grief. First split case for me, from what I've read on this forum it's not uncommon on old surplus! Now I've got a real issue with the brass left in the receiver. Any suggestions are welcomed! I made a simple tool out of a hacksaw blade to try to fish the brass piece out and it wouldn't budge. Modified a screwdriver too with a "hook" on the end and still couldn't make any progress. Tried oversize cleaning brush and only succeeded in ruining the brush! Hopefully the pic will show enuff detail so everyone can see what I'm up against.

UBER7MM
07-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Mangy-ote,

You're looking for a ruptured case extractor. You chamber the tool as you would a cartridge, then extract the tool with the ruptured case attached.
http://www.ch4d.com/equipment/case-tools/rce
These guys have lots of calibers. Others only seem to have the most common chamberings. Worth the $16. Especially if you're shooting the old stuff.

Let me know how it works out!

TreeKiller
07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Try an easy out. Find one that fits in the brass and will not touch the chamber. Sq. drive socket and a long extension.

Jeff Michel
07-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Use a 7/16 tap with an extension or what they call an aircraft tap, same thread pitch. Thread it in till hits the shoulder or at minimum 2/3 of the length of the cartridge case. Insert a suitable rod into the muzzle and tap it out, should come out relatively easy. Do NOT let the rod bounce, just hold it firmly and tap, a small ball pein will work fine. An EZ out may not the best course, as it has a fairly steep taper, you run the risk of opening the rear of your chamber before your deep enough to have an adequate purchase on the interior of the offending case.
Good luck

MANGYCOYOTE
07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Good suggestions! Thanks to all, I will give them a try!

copperlake
07-31-2013, 02:40 AM
What Jeff Michel gave is very good and efficient advice. I have been intentionally causing case head separations in the same cal. and the tap works great. 1/8 " pipe tap works good too, sometimes better as it is tapered like the case and has finer threads. EZ out not. You do have to be careful not to go crazy as the tap can cut through the cartridge with unfortunate results, the pipe tap is better in that respect.

EDIT: What he says about rodding the case out is especially important. Do it EXACTLY as he says.

WILCO
08-03-2013, 04:09 PM
w0w! Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing.

Artful
08-03-2013, 08:07 PM
On those 8mm I can usually run a .35 cal brush up past the neck and pull it out on the end of my cleaning rod.
The bristles sort of get squeezed and help to catch the neck of the brass to pull it out.