PDA

View Full Version : Re-Use Question

Ninety Caliber
07-29-2013, 02:51 PM
I have some rounds that have high primers and some with bulged cases that won't chamber( from my first try at loading). After pulling the bullets, what do you do about live primers?

John Boy
07-29-2013, 02:57 PM
... what do you do about live primers? Decap them with your full length sizing die with slow downward pressure. No, they won't go Bang!

tom357mag
07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Decap them with your full length sizing die with slow downward pressure. No, they won't go Bang!

He said it all.

dragonrider
07-29-2013, 04:13 PM
What John said, but wear a face shield and gloves just in case. then check the primer pockets for carbon deposits.

Zymurgy50
07-29-2013, 04:16 PM
And if you are using military brass you will have to remove the primer crimp....

jcwit
07-29-2013, 06:06 PM
To completely answer your question, gently press them out using your decapping die, and yes reuse them, everything will be AOK.

NSB
07-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Simply push the primer in a little deeper. Put it back in your press or you hand priming tool and push a little harder. You probably didn't apply enough pressure the first time. In over forty years of reloading, I've never had a problem doing this. As stated by others, always wear safety glasses when reloading and especially when seating primers.

Green Frog
07-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Simply push the primer in a little deeper. Put it back in your press or you hand priming tool and push a little harder. You probably didn't apply enough pressure the first time. In over forty years of reloading, I've never had a problem doing this. As stated by others, always wear safety glasses when reloading and especially when seating primers.

Assuming that you have broken down the rounds first (ie removed bullet & powder) I agree with above. Now you can safely "finish" seating your primers and if you remove the decapping stem from your FL sizing die you can get the bulged cases fixed too. Now you can take these properly prepared cases and finish loading them as normal. Works for me! :idea:

Froggie

jcwit
07-30-2013, 06:55 PM

On a loaded round? NO, Good Grief NO!

As green Frog says, broken down reloads, then and ONLY then is it OK.