PDA

View Full Version : What DISadvantages, If Any, To A "Handicapped" Plate?

BruceB
07-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Since I lost my left leg and 1/3 of my right foot, I think I have a legitimate claim to a handicapped plate.

My question is, are there factors that I don't know about which would possibly weigh against having such a plate?

This query is based on the assumption that I can get a new driver's license, which is by no means a sure thing. Mine expired on my 70th birthday in April, and I need a doctor's examination and report, and also a regular driving test.

Any info is much appreciated, as usual.

merlin101
07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
"I think I have a legitimate claim to a handicapped plate."
I think NO I know you do! My only question is are you really able to drive SAFELY? I saw that you addressed that in your OP and that is a good sign that you are aware that your skills may have down graded. I saw this with my father as he got older and he refused to believe that he was slowing down and had become a hazard to others on the road. I had just started the painful process of haveing the state revoke his DL when he passed, I'm glad he never knew that. Please don't put your children in that position. Deep down you know if your able to drive or not, I hope you are and know when to give up your DL

I know it's off subject and not what you expected.

BruceB
07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Many thanks.

Some time back, I saw an article called "Who Will Take The Keys From Grandpa?"

It hit home pretty hard, and I've been trying to monitor my performance with those concerns in mind.

Right now the problem is that , with a series of medical events, I haven't driven in over a year.

(I have a yard full of dead vehicles, all of which will likely need new batteries, at the least.)

Zymurgy50
07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
I dont know about Nevada, but in Michigan anyone that is handicapped can get a "Hang Tag" that goes on the rear view mirror. Even people who have never had a drivers license. Just need to show proof of handicap and go to secretary of states office.
My mother gave up the open road last year, but she still has others that drive her around.

GRUMPA
07-29-2013, 05:00 PM
I'll put it the way the wife tells me. "I won't have 1 because I don't want anyone thinking I'm an easy target". Trust me she's more than qualified for 1.

Duckiller
07-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Bruce my wife is in a wheel chair. We have handicap plates on both of our vehicles as well as a hang tag. Calif. requires that for plates the handicap person must be named on the title. We have experienced no problems with the handicap plates.

Jim
07-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Bruce, I have one because of my arthritis. I rarely use it, though. I have, however, seen times when I was glad I had it. One that comes to mind is the fall craft festival here in Floyd. If you're not there a half hour early, you park on the road and hike. They keep spots open close to the bldg. for handicapped.

Your situation is considereably more deserving than mine, so, yes, you should have one.

WILCO
07-29-2013, 05:18 PM
I'll put it the way the wife tells me. "I won't have 1 because I don't want anyone thinking I'm an easy target". Trust me she's more than qualified for 1.

That's my thought exactly.

BruceB
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=. Bruce should have one.....and a CCW.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeedy.... the CCW was taken care of many years ago, and I generally carry whenever and wherever I can legally do so. In Nevada, that's quite a few places.

My wheelchair also offers some places to sneakily attach holsters for a few goodies, too.

bob208
07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
yes you should get one. one thing

TXGunNut
07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Should have had one for awhile IMO, would have saved lots of effort for you and the kind folks driving you around for errands and treatments. In TX the plates and hang tag are as much about the passenger as the driver, should be that way in most states. Regaining your drivers license is a good goal, I'm sure that when you feel comfortable the state will agree as well. Glad to hear you're improving and moving forward, best wishes on your continued recovery.

MaryB
07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't see any downside to the plates. Being handicapped doesn't advertise anything special in the car beyond maybe a walker or cane. I have a hang tag, nerve damage in my spine and left leg makes long distance walking very difficult.

texassako
07-29-2013, 11:11 PM
I say get them. They will probably put something on like a restriction to automatic transmission vehicles if you renew your license. We have hang tags for my wife. One for me and one for her. Mine lives in the door pocket unless she happens to ride in my junky old truck. She opted for the hang tag instead of plates for her van so she can use it if she rides with someone else. They are attached to the drivers license instead of the vehicle with plates, at least here in TX.

schutzen
07-30-2013, 08:38 AM
I have enough steel in my legs to build a nice pistol and I use a hang tag (only need it on wet rainy days- thay don't occur to often in Kentucky). I have a friend who claims several states cut the property taxes on a vehicle with a handicap plate (not a hang tag). I would check to see if Nevada does this.

blackthorn
07-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I would think the advantage of parking close to your destination would far outweigh the risk of having to be exposed to scumbags as you cross a busy parking lot, especially at dusk or in the dark! I wish we had CCW in Canada, just last week an old man who needs a scooter to get around was attacked by two of the local scum who beat him and stole his scooter! I can't help but wonder what would have been the outcome if he had been armed? My advice would be for you to get the tag Bruce.

Firebricker
07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Bruce, It will help you even if your not the one driving I can't see a down side. As far as driving as long as your eye sight is good you should be able to work around any other issues. The doc can probably give you some ideas on where to go if you need any mods to your car. And BTW anyone that mistakes you for an "easy target" is headed for a real bad day LOL FB

gwpercle
07-30-2013, 04:45 PM
You do not have to be the driver. Get the tag and hang it in any vehicle you travel in so you can get into and out of public places easier. Don't have to take no stinkin test either. The doctor can write out a form and you get hang tag at DMV. It is not about just the driver but any handicapped person , passenger included. Get it...no downside that I know of except wider space, closer to entrance of building.
A drivers license is a totally different thing and yes there is a test. Handicapped parking tag is just for allowing you to park in the HC parking space.
Gary

km101
07-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes you should get one. And it makes no difference whether you can drive or not, you are entitled to park in a handicap spot because of your disability. You don't have to be driving the car, you just have to be in the car! Check with your Dr. He should be able to write a prescription, or fill out a form to allow you to get the tag at the DMV.

In Texas you can either get 2 hanger tags, or one hanger tag and a handicap license plate, whichever is most convenient for you. Nevada may vary, but I'm sure that you will qualify.