PDA

View Full Version : Can I ship primers to myself....

crabo
07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
by USPS in a priority box? I bought some out of town and can't carry them on the plane.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
07-29-2013, 09:56 AM
nope, there are 2 primary issues. A) No hazardous materials by USPS at all, B) No Hazmat by air, which priority mail is, they must go by ground. You need to send them ups ground hazmat to yourself.

km101
07-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Yep, NS is entirely correct! And don't try to ship primers ORM-D! They MUST go Hazmat!

mikeym1a
07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
The feds sure know how to spoil a good day.:takinWiz:

Dryball
07-29-2013, 03:13 PM
...and don't forget the $27.50 hazmat fee, in addition to the shipping charges. Sorta puts a sting into shipping primers or powder unless you are doin a whole bunch.

mold maker
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Can primed brass be shipped
without hazmat?

southpaw
07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Can primed brass be shipped
without hazmat?

Yup

Jerry Jr.

starmac
07-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Does that mean it is legal to mail primed brass???

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Does that mean it is legal to mail primed brass???

I have noticed all site will ship primed shotshell hulls without any hazmat charges. To me it makes no sense if you have to ship primers hazmat.

starmac
07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Yea, it makes no sense, That is why I ask. I have some primed brass I would like to sell, but never have, because I figured I couldn't mail them legally.

41 mag fan
07-30-2013, 10:15 AM
isn't it redundant how this gov't creates, makes, thinks up and passes laws? You can't ship primers or powder postal, but you can ship fully assembled ammo orm-d.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

sparkz
07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Guys DO ship by USPS, but if you found out they will remove your "Appendages" But its common on GB (10K fine and or 10yeaars)
I think best way is UPS think they want like 17 bux and fed-x whats like 27bux
but you have to ship thu a shipper that can ship with candy striped card and all kinds of hoops to jump thu

call up UPS and Fed x and ask how you can do it,,
again some if not most do use USPS but gota ask yourself if you feel lucky.....
I don't but you may....

also go to GB site and they have a whole section about shipping that ma help

Patrick

Hip's Ax
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Its more complicated then this. USPS ships zero energetics, period. UPS ORM-D for ammo or primed cases, you may have to go to a hub as the local places may not know the rules and turn you down. Powder and primers are Haz Mat and you must have a Haz Mat contract with UPS to ship, that means ordinary citizens cannot ship them, period.

Actually, there is a good reason why bulk primers are Haz Mat and primed cases are ORM-D. Think about a box, brick or case of primers and pretend you set one primer off, the whole package is going to go up. Now, think about a box of primed cases and pretend you set one off, they are not going to propagate.

destrux
07-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Primer packages are specifically designed to stop bulk detonation. That's why there's a warning on the package against storing them in anything other than original packaging.

Is there any law against shipping primers/powder UPS Ground without paying the Hazmat fee? I would think that just breaks UPS rules and not any sort of federal law.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
07-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Primer packages are specifically designed to stop bulk detonation. That's why there's a warning on the package against storing them in anything other than original packaging.

Is there any law against shipping primers/powder UPS Ground without paying the Hazmat fee? I would think that just breaks UPS rules and not any sort of federal law.

It is actually a very serious violation of many federal laws, and no, the govt won't blame UPS, they will prosecute the shipper and potentially the recipient.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
07-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Regarding the USPS:

39 USCS § 3018. Hazardous material
(a) In general. The Postal Service shall prescribe regulations for the safe transportation of hazardous material in the mail.
(b) Prohibitions. No person may--
(1) mail or cause to be mailed hazardous material that has been declared by statute or Postal Service regulation to be nonmailable;
(2) mail or cause to be mailed hazardous material in violation of any statute or Postal Service regulation restricting the time, place, or manner in which hazardous material may be mailed; or
(3) manufacture, distribute, or sell any container, packaging kit, or similar device that--
(A) is represented, marked, certified, or sold by such person for use in the mailing of hazardous material; and
(B) fails to conform with any statute or Postal Service regulation setting forth standards for a container, packaging kit, or similar device used for the mailing of hazardous material.
(c) Civil penalty; clean-up costs and damages.
(1) In general. A person who knowingly violates this section or a regulation prescribed under this section shall be liable for--
(A) a civil penalty of at least $ 250, but not more than $ 100,000, for each violation;
(B) the costs of any clean-up associated with each violation; and
(C) damages.
(2) Knowing action. A person acts knowingly for purposes of paragraph (1) when--
(A) the person has actual knowledge of the facts giving rise to the violation; or
(B) a reasonable person acting in the circumstances and exercising reasonable care would have had that knowledge.

MWesner55
07-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Lol sounds like fun to me

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
07-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Regarding UPS:

42 USCS § 9656. Transportation of hazardous substances; listing as hazardous material; liability for release
. . .
(b) A common or contract carrier shall be liable under other law in lieu of section 107 of this Act [42 USCS § 9607] for damages or remedial action resulting from the release of a hazardous substance during the course of transportation which commenced prior to the effective date of the listing and regulation of such substance as a hazardous material under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act [49 USCS §§ 5101 et seq.], or for substances listed pursuant to subsection (a) of this section, prior to the effective date of such listing: Provided, however, That this subsection shall not apply where such a carrier can demonstrate that he did not have actual knowledge of the identity or nature of the substance released.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
If UPS unknowingly sends your package via air:

49 USCS § 46312. Transporting hazardous material
(a) In general. A person shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both, if the person, in violation of a regulation or requirement related to the transportation of hazardous material prescribed by the Secretary of Transportation under this part or chapter 51 [49 USCS §§ 40101 et seq. or 5101 et seq.]--
(1) willfully delivers, or causes to be delivered, property containing hazardous material to an air carrier or to an operator of a civil aircraft for transportation in air commerce; or
(2) recklessly causes the transportation in air commerce of the property.
(b) Knowledge of regulations. For purposes of subsection (a), knowledge by the person of the existence of a regulation or requirement related to the transportation of hazardous material prescribed by the Secretary under this part or chapter 51 [49 USCS §§ 40101 et seq. or 5101 et seq.] is not an element of an offense under this section but shall be considered in mitigation of the penalty.

I'm done, I admit that as a criminal defense lawyer, this isn't my area of expertise, but the law is above and is very plain.

km101
08-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Yea, it makes no sense, That is why I ask. I have some primed brass I would like to sell, but never have, because I figured I couldn't mail them legally.

Oops, forgot that you are in AK. You could only ship UPS within the state, as it's gotta go ground. Sorry for the confusion! Ken

You can ship primed cases by UPS if they are labeled as ORM-D (Other Regulated Material - Domestic).
You do not have to go to a UPS hub to drop off the package, you can call the UPS 800 number and have it picked up at your home. There will be a $10.00 pick-up charge, but I pay this rather than having to drive 55 miles to downtown Dallas.

You can find several down-loadable/printable ORM-D labels online. The box must have one label on the box, preferably on the address label side, per UPS. I ship ammo several times a year and have never had a problem with the UPS process. (except when they ship my box all over the US before delivery, but that's another story)

markinalpine
08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Kinda' late getting into this thread, but you could prime a bunch of brass and ship them to yourself as ORM-D as mentioned above.
Not too practical though. :groner:
Mark [smilie=w:

crabo
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I just left them there. I'll be back in a month or so and buy some more and bring them home in the truck. It's kinda funny how my wife thinks it makes sense to hoard some of my 22 ammo and reloading supplies. She still thinks the lead and WWs are outta control though.