PDA

View Full Version : Rhino

Dan Cash
07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Have any of you members shot or do you own a Rhino revolver? Interested in your observations and opinions. I handled one yesterday at the local gun shop. Fit and finish were excellent but the gun is long on weird looks.

bobthenailer
07-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I dont think any one would admit to owening or shooting one ! stick with a good USA brand revolver.
if you would ever decied to get rid of it the value and intrest in it would be very low !

Harry O
07-29-2013, 01:40 PM
I rented one at the local indoor range to try it out. Shooting from the lower barrel does reduce the barrel climb from recoil quite a bit. The actual pushback doesn't seem any different, though. The thing that turned me off on it was that it had the worst double-action trigger pull of any handgun I have ever shot in my life. Also, trying to use it single action by pulling on the fake-hammer-thing was almost impossible.

I have no idea if this is the same for all of them or if the one I had had a problem. However, I would NEVER buy one without trying the trigger pull. If it is like the one I tried, I would not take it as a gift. You are right about how ugly it is, but that would not bother me if it had a good trigger pull.

rintinglen
07-29-2013, 02:50 PM
My experience mirrors Harry O's. The gun appears a little on the rough side, but pretty is as pretty does. Unfortunately, I could not shoot it well. The DA trigger was as bad as any I've ever felt. Recoil does seem reduced, but the trigger pull was rough, extremely heavy--somewhere in the vicinity of 20 lbs, I would imagine. I would not buy one.

Dan Cash
07-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am/was not contemplating the purchace of one of these; merely curious. Owning a bushel of Smiths and Colts, the other stuff holds little interst.

Maximumbob54
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
I was interested until I saw I could buy a brand new 686 and have money for ammo. They are way to rich for my blood in my aread. Not sure why either as they don't seem to be as well made as the S&W.

mikeym1a
07-29-2013, 03:17 PM
It looks like someone copied the design of the pistol used by one of the agents in the anime 'Ghost in The Shell'. Just odd looking.

Dryball
07-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Yes they are a little fugly but as far as shooting one I feel that they are incredible. There are several things to consider, as with any new gun purchase. First you have to modify your grip (if you stick your thumbs straight out) if you don't want to char the end of a thumb. They have a very long travel before the trigger engages. However, I have never felt such a sweet trigger release on a factory gun. The bad points: If you are used to shooting revolvers only the trigger pull may get frustrating but if you're used to DA autos the travel is about the same. You could actually shoot this as fast as an auto...I'd love to see Jerry Miculek shoot one! The only thing I would change is that the yoke is a little whimpy but if you treat a gun like it should be treated there shouldn't be any problems. I use one for bullseye and CC and [B]NEVER[B] get rid of it! It's like anything else...if you like it buy it, practice with it, and carry a big stick...the chicks dig it!

TenTea
07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
It's guts are very complex!

GP100man
07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I`ve been waiting for someone to do a trigger job on 1 & claim it rivals a Python with a bearing , but no avail yet & I`m not holding my breath!

TenTea

Nice pic !!! Looks to be very intricate lock work , just toomany peices to smoothly transfer energy thru !

TXGunNut
08-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Wow, way too many moving parts. Had to take an Antivert after following that one thru!

HeavyMetal
08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
nice picture, not as nice as having it hand but very detailed.

Think the first thing I'd try is removing the parts for the single action mode!

Looks like it's just the two pieces that "lift" the hammer during DA use, with these gone you remove weight and reduce tension?

Just a thought I'd try if one of these ever made it into may hands.

9.3X62AL
08-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I already have an ugly revolver with impossible D/A trigger pull--an 1895 Nagant in 7.62 x 38R. At least it was affordable. Once you get the front sight set and looking where the barrel points, the Nagant can be used to hit things.....and rather small things, at that. No varmints have had the grave misfortune to fall to its bark yet, but 3"-4" dinger plates at 35 yards on the Angeles Shooting Ranges get rang pretty readily. The Nagant's ejection sequence makes that of the Colt SAA seem rapid, I should add. Only a government could love such a sidearm. They do have charm and affordability on their side, though--and in power the cartridge is a mid-point between the 32 S&W Long and the 32-20 WCF at factory ratings.