PDA

View Full Version : Range report new model flat top

redneckdan
10-10-2007, 08:48 AM
I finally got dies for my new model flat top in .44mag. First target was 10.0gr of Unique with a 250gr LSWC. This was practice for bullseye league @ 50ft. It definitely was a handful shooting one handed but not too bad.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/redneckdan/IMGP3085.jpg

Second target shows 16.4gr of Blue dot with the same 250gr LSWC. This was at 25yds two handed. This loaded wasn't really much fun to shoot, but the first 3 rounds of a cylinder full are pretty accurate, then I start pulling them.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/redneckdan/IMGP3086.jpg

A fellow RO tried shooting the blue dot loads, he tends to prefer the "cup and saucer" hold for revolvers. Before I could suggest that wasn't probably a good idea, he touched 'er off and his cup left the saucer and the front sight almost clocked him in the fore head.:roll:

felix
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Dan, the standard technique to use for the two handed hold is the push-pull method, or as I call it the compression method. The grip hand pushes foward, and the other hand pulls straight back. The gripping arm is locked tight at the wrist and elbow, and this is accomplished by holding the gun side ways straight out, and then the arm rotated upright. Then apply the pressure with the other hand to hold the "lock" in place. When firing, the body rocks back and forth, not the arms. They stay absolutely rigid. Rotate, move your, feet to put the gun at point of aim. Do not put any lateral strain on your arms. ... felix

felix
10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Dan, at your age you should be able to get close to these targets with your gun. These were shot when I was about 30, and Charlie was about 20. Charlie was perhaps the best big bore pistol shot in the pistol league I belonged to in Hartford CT. The gun used was one that "Archie" built/modified for me. Archie somebody was the S&W employee who put together Dirty Harry's gun. My gun was a 44, and Harry's gun was a 41. I still have the gun. ... felix

454PB
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Bluedot is my "go to" powder for midrange .44 magnum loads. Your recipe is good, and I've gone even hotter with my Redhawk, but try dropping to 15 grs. That seems to be the magic combo in all my .44's with 250 gr. boolits.

By the way, your load of Bluedot should be yielding close to 1400 fps, it does in my 7 1/2" Redhawk.

targetshootr
10-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Shew-wie, those are smokin loads. Nice shooting. I like it when the boolit just makes it out of the barrel and arcs downward through the target. Hail Mary style.

:Fire: