PDA

View Full Version : Using different brands of dies with a rcbs rock chunker press

Butcher13
07-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Hello, are there certain things to look for if using other
Makes of dies in a rock chunker supreme press? Yes, I'm
A newbie and wow, the amount of info here!! I see how hard
It is to accuire each component and the individual accessories
To reload each caliber round. I occasionally have seen dies
For a given caliber in carbide from other brands( hornaday,
Lee, Lyman, dillon... ) but not sure if any or all might be
Compatible. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks Greg.

PbHurler
07-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Any brand, standard 7/8"-14 thread dies and standard shell holders to load most any pistol or rifle caliber will work in the Rockchucker press.

If you're like the rest of us, you'll wind up with various manufacturer's dies, which all will have slightly different features, or idiosyncrasy’s that you'll take a liking to, you can't really go wrong with any of the manufacturers.

1-1/4"-12 dies will also fit the press, if you remove the presses' die bushing; (7/8"-14 thread is the standard die thread though)

Oh and, Welcome to the forum!

Sensai
07-29-2013, 08:07 AM
There was a time that the die manufacturers used slightly different heights on their shell holders. I don't know if that's still true, but as a rule I still prefer to match shellholder and die manufacturers. As far as which manufacturer's equipment you use, they're interchangable.

Bayou52
07-29-2013, 08:16 AM
I believe only the so called "specialty" dies will have anything but standard threads. As stated earlier, we all wind up with a good variety of dies from varying manufacturers. They all fit and work fine in my 35+ year old RCBS RC press.

Bayou52

prsman23
07-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Dillon makes proprietary dies for their square deal press. So avoid those. Their regular dies are good to go. Like the others said stick with the well known die makers and you will be ok.

Butcher13
07-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Ok, and thanks a lot for the replies!! Now, let me see if anyone
Has any left( they seem harder at times to find than a NASCAR
Ticket at Bristol).

Thanks, Greg.

mdi
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Get a copy of the ABCs of Reloading, and a copy of Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. In these you will find all the answers to your "Reloading 101" questions. After reading you should have an idea of the equipment that suits your reloading needs, and how to approach reloading safely...