PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to clean lead deposits from muzzle brake?

Jumbopanda
07-29-2013, 03:38 AM
Is there any effective way to clean thick lead deposits from this muzzle brake? I would strongly prefer to not have to remove it from the barrel.

Hickory
07-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Mercury will dissolve lead.
Mercury is expensive and very toxic.

Chore boy on a cleaning jag plus solvent will work.

Tatume
07-29-2013, 06:41 AM
My Magna Port builds up lead. I flakes off easily with a slight scrape.

Jumbopanda
07-29-2013, 06:51 AM
My Magna Port builds up lead. I flakes off easily with a slight scrape.

That's not the case with my brake unfortunately. I've used a brass brush to scrub the parts that I could reach, and it took quite a bit of effort to remove the lead.

krallstar
07-29-2013, 07:15 AM
If lead is building up there does that also mean lead is getting into the gas tube. Just wondering

Lloyd Smale
07-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Id try screwing it off and soaking it in kroil for a couple days.

FLHTC
07-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Liquid Mercury does wonders. Contact your local HVAC business and see if they have any old thermostats with mercury switches. I have aquired a good supply like that. Its the best lead remover out there, bar none.

Jumbopanda
07-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Liquid Mercury does wonders. Contact your local HVAC business and see if they have any old thermostats with mercury switches. I have aquired a good supply like that. Its the best lead remover out there, bar none.

Sounds a bit hazardous for my tastes.

FLHTC
07-29-2013, 09:01 AM
No more than what you're trying to remove. Lol

bobthenailer
07-29-2013, 09:31 AM
I know for a fact this works in a 1911 38 super with a comp and a FA 454 casull with a SSk muzzel brake , i shoot mostley lead bullets through both guns if i use a slow burning powder with a almost a full load of ball pistol powder such as H110 , 296 , lilgun with jacketed bullets or gas ck bullets it blast out most of the lead/carbon build up that accumulates in the comp / muzzel brake .
it also works in my 45 acp comps but you have to use a med to med slow something around the speed of HS6 or slower speed ball powder at full pressure and fire more shots to clean out the comp

KYCaster
07-29-2013, 09:41 AM
After you get it clean, give it a liberal coat of welder's anti-spatter spray.

Jerry

RobS
07-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Kroil should work and I've even taken a ported barrel and soaked/submerged it in Ed's Red for a day and what a difference. I would unscrew the muzzle break, soak it and see how that goes

bangerjim
07-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Sounds a bit hazardous for my tastes.

The greenie hype about mercury is all bull. Most of us on this forum played with it as kids. I used to get old t-stats from the junkyard for the mercury, take it to school and all the kids would coat thier dimes with it. No problems with anyone.

Sure, it caused problems many years ago in the watch industry where they would use a gold/mercury amalgam paint to gold plate works. They would paint the liquid on brass and then flash the mercury off with heat, breathing the vapors in the process! Not good. But we do not boil it....just wash stuff in it.

Now, the scare tactics used are waaaaay overboard. If a thermometer is broken in a lab, the hazmat team is called, the floor is torn up and the ground is remediated for 2 feet around. Ridiculous.

Mercury has been used for hundreds if not thousands of years for scientific porposes. It is the only metal that can do what it does at room temps.

Another example of things from Mother Nature (oil, lead, mercury, etc) that are now banned from being put BACK into the earth!!!!!

Liberals..................can't live with 'em.....can't kill' em.

Use it with caution.....just as you should our friend lead!

bangerjim

mold maker
07-29-2013, 10:37 AM
The fear of the unknown and the banter of the greenies have most folks scared to death of both lead and mercury. Both can be harmful, but if common sense is used, both can be as safe as mother's milk.
Don't handle mercury or lead with cuts to the skin. Mercury, like hot lead, is liquid metal, and easy to spill. If spilled it must be cleaned up, (not an easy task) so as not to contaminate the area. As long as they're not ingested, inhaled, or absorbed, both are safe to handle.

AABEN
07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Use a small shot gun brush to clean with Kroil oil if you can not remove it.

blackthorn
08-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Here is another "don't"---don't handle Mercury if you are wearing a gold ring, especially if it has precious stones in it! When we were kids (early 1950's) we used to squeeze my Uncles dead hearing aid batteries in a vice to get the mercury. We use to play with it and one day my Aunt was fooling around, rolling a good sized glob of it in her hand(s). As a result, sometime over the next couple of days, she lost the diamond from her engagement ring. We never did find that stone either.

bangerjim
08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Here is another "don't"---don't handle Mercury if you are wearing a gold ring, especially if it has precious stones in it! When we were kids (early 1950's) we used to squeeze my Uncles dead hearing aid batteries in a vice to get the mercury. We use to play with it and one day my Aunt was fooling around, rolling a good sized glob of it in her hand(s). As a result, sometime over the next couple of days, she lost the diamond from her engagement ring. We never did find that stone either.

Olde miners used to use mercury to attach to gold to find it. It really sticks! As I stated above, you can make an amalgam paint with it. It is one of the tests jewlers used to use to test for gold......if it sticks, it's gold, not brass. (I still do!)

bangerjim