PDA

View Full Version : De-riming question

Capt. Senile
07-29-2013, 12:17 AM
I finally have all the parts for my de-riming machine put together and have a few questions on correct operations.

First, what psi should I be running the press? Since I'm on the road what I have is an 11 gal. air tank from Harbor Freight that goes to 125 psi, but the ram moves rather slowly.

Second, the case goes into the die only partway. It won't push through. The rim is mostly removed, but it's nothing like DukeinMaine's video. The case that came with the die goes through just fine, however. (The die is from u.p. north)

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use air straight from the compressor, as each time the toggle is switched, the total psi in the tank goes down with no way to maintain top psi.

Any advise?
Thanks, Brian

Bills Shed
07-29-2013, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=Capt. Senile;2323852]I finally have all the parts for my de-riming machine put together and have a few questions on correct operations.

First, what psi should I be running the press? Since I'm on the road what I have is an 11 gal. air tank from Harbor Freight that goes to 125 psi, but the ram moves rather slowly.

Second, the case goes into the die only partway. It won't push through. The rim is mostly removed, but it's nothing like DukeinMaine's video. The case that came with the die goes through just fine, however. (The die is from u.p. north)

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use air straight from the compressor, as each time the toggle is switched, the total psi in the tank goes down with no way to maintain top

G'day Brian

Without seeing the set up it is hard to say what sort of capacity you have.
You did not say what your working pressure is. Your tank is good for 125 psi but what is your operating (line) pressure? Does the ram moves slowly on it way up to the die or after it has reached the die and is under load.
If it is slow to the die and you have 125 psi available is sounds like a supply issue, ie the air hoses are too small in ID or you have a restriction in line some where.
125 psi should be enough to push the jacket through a die depending on the diameter of the piston,(not the ram).
Last , if you toggle the switch and the pressure in the tank drops right off, your tank is under capacity for you requirements OR you tank pressure is low. Is your compressor big enough to keep up with demand?

Bill

Capt. Senile
07-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Bill,
The air cylinder is set up with 1/4 inch diameter nylon air line from the toggle block to the actual cylinder. One of the fittings is set up with a regulator, which I found this afternoon was almost closed when I was testing it.
My air compressor at home is rated for 250 psi constant, with a 20 gal tank. But I can't test it until I get back to VT next week. I'm thinking that regulator might have been the cause of my problems.
I'll update when I hit the house, thanks for the insight, Bill.

DukeInFlorida
07-30-2013, 06:34 AM
You also didn't say what diameter the cylinder is. 3.5" or so seems to be the minimum size, for a reasonable air pressure.
Mine is 3.250" diameter, and makes it at 125 psi. But it uses up a lot of air. I tried my small pancake compressor, but that didn't work as well, needing to recharge too often. The torpedo style compressor I have works better.

My warning, and I got this from BT Sniper: Don't overload the derimming die with pressure, especially if yu are running it all through a Lee cast press. Parts become PROJECTILES pretty fast, and can be extremely dangerous!!!