PDA

View Full Version : Smoking aluminum molds

Jim
07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I wish somebody would show me the correct way to smoke a mold. I can't get it to work. I keep tearin' the paper.

Dschuttig
07-28-2013, 11:33 PM
paper?

John Boy
07-28-2013, 11:36 PM
... show me the correct way to smoke a mold. There is none. Smoking molds is not necessary

btroj
07-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Got to puff harder Jim. Sort of like smoking a turkey but it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth.

I learned by smoking iron moulds. Learned from a guy at the carnival, right under the ferrous wheel.......

Jim
07-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Got to puff harder Jim.....

Puff harder? I can't even get it rolled! [smilie=b:

NoZombies
07-29-2013, 01:38 AM
Jim, use the sticky parts to stick the papers together. Don't forget the filter.

fryboy
07-29-2013, 06:49 AM
lolz rolling it it isnt needed ! just shove it in a pipe and use a blow torch to light it .... first drag may be a lil bit searing however .... and umm dont inhale :P ( i love humor thanks for that fellers ! )

it's true that smoking only mask a problem but it can help save a few hairs on your noggin ( provided you have any left ... ) best way is to open the blocks and hang one side upside down at a slight angle with the cavity inverted , then use a bic lighter ,adjust it so the soot is leaving deposits on the upside down top and run it into the cavity for a second , you're after the thinnest of coats , i wipe down the top and mating edges with a clean cotton rag , it doesnt take much and if it's needed at a crisp edge ( think inside driving band ) a # 2 pencil shading may also be employed

bosterr
07-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Didn't you see the warning from the Surgeon General on the side of the mold box?

btroj
07-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Dang it fryboy, why didn't I think of a pipe?

Would a bong work? It would let me smoke the mould AND water drop all in one place.

Janoosh
07-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Paper?... Pipes?.... Gentlemen, and Ladies,.... the current rage in the Big City is..... Hookahs! Hookahs,Hookahs,Hookahs! Jim, you need to get a bean bag chair and sit cross legged on the front porch with your Hookah!

Jim
07-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Paper?... Pipes?.... Gentlemen, and Ladies,.... the current rage in the Big City is..... Hookahs! Hookahs,Hookahs,Hookahs! Jim, you need to get a bean bag chair and sit cross legged on the front porch with your Hookah!

We ain't got no hookahs around here, they all live in Roanoke. Besides, Janet's got a S&W model 19 and she can out shoot me on the plate machine. Comin' home with a hookah would last about ten seconds and then she'd be callin' Shannon to report a mysterious double homicide.

Janoosh
07-29-2013, 08:47 AM
L O L....... i kinda figured that!

sparkz
07-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Bic Lighter and soot the Cast area,,, Best way I have found

Patrick

41 mag fan
07-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Get ya a metal coffee can, make a hole big enough to put mold in. Close hole using JB Weld. Cut another hole big enough in top of can to let ice cubes fall thru. Put a hinge on it so no smoke will come out.
Cut hole right below top of can big enough to place a 1/4" copper tube in, place to where it's just barely poking into can, seal with JB Weld.
Cut another hole about 2/3 way down that is angled cut, just big enough to get cutting torch tip into.

Once JB Welds dried, add ice cubes, fire up torch and start smoking. Once you see smoke coming out, place mouth on copper tube and start inhaling
The ice cubes will help cool down the smoke making it less harsh!!
One thing to note...place coffee can on a metal stand as holding it may get VERY hot!

btroj
07-29-2013, 09:05 AM
At what point does one need to stop trying to smoke a mould in a traditional sense and move to the BBQ with some mesquite?

Jim, ask Janet what sort of dry rub she suggests on brass.

Jim
07-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Get ya a metal coffee can, make a hole big enough to put mold in. Close hole using JB Weld. Cut another hole big enough in top of can to let ice cubes fall thru. Put a hinge on it so no smoke will come out.
Cut hole right below top of can big enough to place a 1/4" copper tube in, place to where it's just barely poking into can, seal with JB Weld.
Cut another hole about 2/3 way down that is angled cut, just big enough to get cutting torch tip into.

Once JB Welds dried, add ice cubes, fire up torch and start smoking. Once you see smoke coming out, place mouth on copper tube and start inhaling
One thing to note...place coffee can on a metal stand as holding it may get VERY hot!

I can't help but wonder how you know all these details. Oh, wait..... You looked it up on the 'net, right? Yeah, that's what it is. Shane would never be makin' a contraption like that.

I just hope your contraption makin' skills are better than your winda' shootin' skills. From what I saw (blind drunk at the time, I might add), You sure ain't no Jerry Miculek.

DanWalker
07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Instead of smoking, try lapping them. Just don't use valve grinding compound. I use toothpaste, and it polished the caivites nicely, without taking off a lot of metal. Smells nice too!

Maximumbob54
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Can't tell if this is a serious thread in a joking manner or a joke thread in the wrong section.

Smoke4320
07-29-2013, 12:11 PM
before smoking I throw my molds in the contraptionator.. they come out in a fine dust .. much easier to roll
Just don't try in on a spoon in a plane with a bic lighter

bikerbeans
07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I quit smoking in 1978 and this thread is not going to make me change that decision.:smile:

BB

HiVelocity
07-29-2013, 12:23 PM
L m a o !

Hv

Gunslinger1911
07-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Sorry - can't help ya ..... I only smoke brass.

Although, I heered you can roll out some Carnuba Red like pie crust - dosn't tear like regular papers.

MtGun44
07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Friends don't let friends smoke molds.

Bill

Janoosh
07-30-2013, 09:35 AM
I use a Bic lighter when all else fails. Now....+1 btroj.... mesquite smoke...do you marinate the mold first?.... od is it brined? I like a south western dry rub myself! On the mold, that is!

btroj
07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Dry rub, always. Maybe brine first then a dry rub. Slow cooking is the key, that darn bass is pretty tough otherwise.

Jim
07-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Dry rub, always. Maybe brine first then a dry rub. Slow cooking is the key, that darn bass is pretty tough otherwise.

Brad, hit that brass with a torch 'till it turns red. Softens it up an' makes it nice an' chewy!

Mal Paso
07-31-2013, 10:43 PM

If you're going to be sellin' JB Weld ya gots to be a Vendor Sponsor.

Unsub
08-04-2013, 05:59 AM
well it's quite obvious you 'new" casters are are uneducated in the ways of you tube. They ALL smoke there molds.Now as my post count tells, I am an expert at this I will pass on my knowledge. When new, smoking does make ones first efforts easier but as one gains experience and skill smoking becomes redundant.
OH what to do with my tenth post????????????

41 mag fan
08-04-2013, 10:39 AM
I can't help but wonder how you know all these details. Oh, wait..... You looked it up on the 'net, right? Yeah, that's what it is. Shane would never be makin' a contraption like that.

I just hope your contraption makin' skills are better than your winda' shootin' skills. From what I saw (blind drunk at the time, I might add), You sure ain't no Jerry Miculek.

Well...I was a guest shooter, and didn't want to show off my finer than average shooting skills!! Plus i told you that coon cap light was blinding me from the glare off the wind'rs you was shining on you wanted me to shoot out!!!

If you're going to be sellin' JB Weld ya gots to be a Vendor Sponsor.

Yup got it figgered out....they legalize medicinal mary jane I got my vendors name.
Smoke Pole Emporium
Hydroponic lab grade marijuwana
Do it yourself smokers kits

Taylor
08-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I use matches,heavy in the cavities,and then using a soft tooth brush,scrub real good.Works for me,maybe do it again in a year or so.

ubetcha
08-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Can't use paper. Need aluminum foil.