PDA

View Full Version : Tumble your Dies??

gimling
07-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Was wondering if anyone has considered this?? I live in florida and its extreme high humidity rusts everything, I know after receiving dies u gotta clean off the oil that prevents rust but then what? Anyone think its a good or a bad idea to take apart my dies put em in some walnut media and Nu Finish?? as nu finish is keeping my brass from oxidizing if I just tumble them with my SS media in 2 days they would start to oxidize, with nu finish and walnut media they been out in the garage 2 months and are looking like new brass.

I ask this because I got a lee universal decapping die used it put it away for about a week when I got it out of the drawer it was already starting to pit, tell me what yall think. Thanks...

Dale in Louisiana
07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Grey Scotchbrite pad (fine grit) to get the rust off, then a light spritz of CRC Stor & Lube, available from industrial supply houses.

dale in Louisiana

1hole
07-28-2013, 10:29 PM
As a Jax Florida boy myself I understand. Go to Walmart's auto oils dept. and getta quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid); use it for an excellant light gun and fishing reel oil. A thin coat will protect guns and dies, etc, from rust for months. It works as well as any costly gun oil and better than most.

gimling
07-28-2013, 11:34 PM
but if I put oil on it wont I have to clean it off each time I want to use my dies?? I don't want to oil and clean dies every time I want to use them, I also don't want to contaminate the powder or primer. just thought that since nufinish works on polishing the brass and doesn't contaminate this would be a good idea.

tom357mag
07-29-2013, 03:57 PM
YES YES YES!!!!!!!! Tumble them with Nufinish , you will not regret it. I have done it and it works great. Take them apart and tumble as you would brass.

44Vaquero
07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I have done it too, it works just fine. My fingers leave rust prints on bare metal. I also use RIG wax on bare metal that cannot be tumbled.

r1kk1
07-30-2013, 07:39 AM
I have done it too, it works just fine. My fingers leave rust prints on bare metal. I also use RIG wax on bare metal that cannot be tumbled.

+1 on RIG

take care

r1kk1

w5pv
07-30-2013, 10:17 AM
After you get them clean,I use a spray wax like pledge or some thing similar that will keep them looking new for years.I live in south east Texas and have to deal with the high humidity also.

Maximumbob54
07-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Eezox. I live in Florida and I use it one anything that rusts and it never rusts again. I wipe everything down when done using it.

mdi
07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
YES YES YES!!!!!!!! Tumble them with Nufinish , you will not regret it. I have done it and it works great. Take them apart and tumble as you would brass.
Yep, works for me too...

Hatiwolf
08-03-2013, 12:42 AM
what do you do if you have the threads already rusted. my .40 dies got left on the porch.

Dale in Louisiana
08-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't get nearly as concerned about threads. A thousandth inch lost due to removing corrosion isn't going to get you in trouble.

Threads get a scrubbing with a little stainless steel 'toothbrush'. You can get those at a lot of places including gunshows and big box home supply stores.

dale in Louisiana

Mike 56
08-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I have few sets of dies that i am going to polish in the tumbler. Here in Ca we don't get much humidity but at one time i had a hot water vent problem that made the humidity bad in my garage. I would hose down the dies with W-D 40 and would remove the excess with compress air.