PDA

View Full Version : Old gun magazines. Suggestions on issues I should keep?

WILCO
07-28-2013, 08:40 PM
I've got a collection that starts in the 1960's. Sporadic years and issues. Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Handloader and some others. I'm thinning the herd. Any suggestions as to what is a "Must have issue"? So far, I've found an American Rifleman I'm thinking I need, as it pertains to the "Light Rifle" of WWII. It'll pair up nicely with a book or two I have on the topic. :coffeecom

Catshooter
07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd keep the early Shooting Times with articles by Skeeter. If you don't want 'em, I'll take 'em. :)

Cat

waksupi
07-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Look through the tables of content, and see what you want to keep.

firefly1957
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
I did the same for a long time but there came a time when they had to go and no library wanted them so they went to the land fill a real shame but at some point there were just to many collecting dust . Today if i want a article i just save it toss the rest if i get a out door wood burner you know they will help heat the house then.

MT Gianni
07-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Get a dozen plastic 1" binders. Label them as to your intrests and cut and hole punch them in the binders. You may need to make copies of some dual sided pages. I would keep Skeeters stories, Bill Jordan's advice, Keiths' Columns and cartridge specific data that interested me. Keep articles on every specific gun that you own.

Firebricker
07-28-2013, 10:58 PM
It's probably more hassle than you want but you could list them on line or sell at a gun show. Somebody is somewhere is always looking to complete a collection or work from specific authors. When I see stacks of old G&A I look for Bob Milek articles I haven't read so they would sell. The downside is it would take a long time and net you not much so I'd look for local young gun enthusiast to take care of them. FB

Artful
07-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Do you have a scanner? - you can save a huge amount of image info on a terabyte drive.

WILCO
07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Do you have a scanner? - you can save a huge amount of image info on a terabyte drive.

Thanks for the great replies! I appreciate and value them. It did dawn on me sometime after I posted this thread that, I should use the scanner. It is a great way to save those items that interest me. Like it's been stated before, they end up collecting dust and it becomes time to move them on.

shooter93
07-29-2013, 06:03 PM
What I started to do years ago because I simply had too many both shooting and woodworking was I go through every issue and tear out the articles I really want. Amazing how much this cut down on the bulk. I didn't scan because I don't like reading long periods on the computer but if you don't mind that it's great idea.

Bent Ramrod
07-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I tried cutting "definitive" articles out and found it didn't work, at least for "magazines of record." There would always be something I got interested in later on. The article that covered that topic would be found to be part of the thrown out magazine, so I had to search for another copy. I'm going through the pdfs of the 1950's and 1960's Guns Magazine that are on line and find that even the advertisements there are interesting now. Those would have been thrown out without thought as I snipped them up twenty-five years ago.

I think the scanner idea is the best.

Blacksmith
07-30-2013, 01:41 AM
I take old issues block the address information and use them to "salt" waiting rooms. When ever I go to the Dr., Dentist, car repair, etc. I just leave a couple of issues in the magazine rack. It might help spread the word.

JeffinNZ
07-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Look through the tables of content, and see what you want to keep.

I used to do that then discovered that over time my interests widened etc. Can't win. If you can, keep 'em all. I bought a heap of 1940-1970 Rifleman and they are still great reading.

bobthenailer
07-30-2013, 06:52 AM
I also kept my gun magazines from the 70s through the 2000s ! shooting times , american rifleman & handgunner, guns & ammo , handloader as well as a few others . I ocassionaly go back for a article
ect . in the past 5 years or so ive been giving away most of my newer magizens , im still keeping handloader and handgunner though.
I do have the 1st issue of american handgunner as well as some other mags anaversary issues .

Ithaca Gunner
07-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Keep em all. If you don't, sooner or later, you'll regret it.

Mallard57
07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I've certainly got a soft spot for the old issues of Handloader, that being said I've gotten rid of a lot of the the others a little bit at a time. It kills me to throw out old magazines, many I consider a superior product to todays periodicals. I try to get my magazines digitally these days, I don't have to throw any out that way.m

KCSO
07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
First make two piles, one with the magazines you think you will need and the other pile. Then flip a coin and throw one pile away. One week later you will find you need a magazine from the pile you threw away! Trust ME!

blackthorn
07-30-2013, 11:31 AM
You could always drop them off at the range where you shoot, likely someone will give them a new home. Alternately, give them to a young up and comming shooter, that way you will konw where they are if you need to go back to find something.