PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a HVAC/R Tech in MT,WY,MO,AL,GA?

olereb
07-28-2013, 06:18 PM
As the title says I was wondering if there are any HVAC/R Techs here that live in MT,WY,MO,AL,GA?. The reason I am asking is we are interested in moving to one of those states eventually and I am curious how the work situation is there,is there year round work?. Were tired of cramped SW FL and the tourists and would like to have the kids be able to grow up in the country where they can go camping,shoot on our own land,ride dirt bikes,etc,etc. With having young kids and another on the way we obviously cant just go everywhere to check,i used to be a Land Surveyor and have worked in all the mentioned states but have no idea about the market for HVAC/R which is what I do now. My wife is born and raised in AZ which is where we had planned on going back to but she has changed her mind after living in "green"FL and has decided she wants to go to one of the states I have mentioned. Also its getting horribly expensive here and getting hard to justify. If anyone has any input i'd appreciate it,just trying to narrow it down before I start taking her on visits,lol.

MT Gianni
07-28-2013, 11:08 PM
I have worked for gas utilities in MT & ID for 34 years, 27 of it as a serviceman and 7 in measurement. Most of W MT has only commercial AC, E MT needs residential AC. I cannot comment on WY but I saw very little residential AC in SE Idaho other than commercial. The lifestyle you want is available but not near the larger cities unless you are a trust fund child. The smaller cities do not have enough work unless you can build up a line of rural stores, butcher shops etc and be willing to jump at a moments notice. We have very few heat pumps as they are not efficient in our climate. A good service tech can usually latch on anywhere, an average installer will find it much harder. Many of these shops are one man shops or heating shops that also do AC service. Seasonally there is generally some slower time in Mar-Apr and Sept. Feel free to take it to PM's if you think I can answer more.

waksupi
07-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I regularly see ads for HVAC techs in the Kalispell, Mt. area. Check Montana Job Service, The Daily Interlake, and the Mountain Trader for help wanted ads.

Smitty's Retired
07-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Alabama seems to have some openings. http://www.indeed.com/q-HVAC-Technician-l-Alabama-jobs.html

Rick N Bama
07-29-2013, 07:03 PM
The company I used for my service employees several techs & seems to stay busy the year around. The company is "Bama Air" located in Cullman AL.

Rick

FLYCUTTER
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
If you move into the Chicago area and join a union shop and know how to service large commercial boilers, and commercial industrial a/c and are pretty sharp on controls you can start out at $45.00 hr. and negotiate upward with your skills, also good medical with dental benefits. But when your done get out of Illinois because of TAXES AND THE LIBERALS.

Mk42gunner
07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Just like real estate it depends on location. I have no real idea what the job market is like any more, I go tout of AC&R/ appliance repair thirty years ago when I joined the Navy.

My cousin's son in law has been doing HVAC work for the past few years around Higginsville, MO. He just started his own business this year, and seems to be doing okay, from what I hear second hand.

Are you wanting to work for somebody else, or are you wanting to start your own business?

Robert

pmeisel
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm not in Alabama anymore, but 2 years ago all the HVAC guys were busy, at least around the populated areas. Commercial and residential.