PDA

View Full Version : Ranchdog mold company

milprileb
07-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone know how I can contact Ranchdog ?

Spruce
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
I believe he is out of business. I just saw where is picking up the Ranch Dog designs.

Spruce
07-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Sorry, NOE is picking up RD line.

sawzall
07-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Sorry, NOE is picking up RD line.
Man that's awesome to hear! I completely missed out on RD molds due to being new to casting but would really love a few of his mold designs!

jmort
07-28-2013, 08:59 PM
No NOE is doing non-TL versions. Most/many will be happy they are not the same. I like the originals.

500MAG
07-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Anyone know how I can contact Ranchdog ?

I'm pretty sure he is still selling off some old stock on eBay.

jmort
07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
You can find him here
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewforum.php?f=9

or probably PM him here on this site.

LuvMy1911
07-28-2013, 10:54 PM
It's a shame... I was only able to buy one of his molds, my 45-70 marlin likes it just fine!

It's my best mold (can't afford the high priced molds)

HiVelocity
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a few RD molds, love them, no complaints.

HV

Slow Elk 45/70
08-02-2013, 01:15 AM
RD DID A LOT HARD WORK FOR HIS DESIGNS... AND GOT THE SHAFT IN THE LONG RUN.. FRON LEE AND OTHERS, HIS DESIGNS WORK, I
HAVE MANY OF HIS MOLDS BEFORE THIS **** WENT DOWN..HE IS A MAN OF HIS WORD AND KNOWS WHAT HIS PRODUCT CAN BE EXPECTED TO DO...OUR LOSS AND LEE WILL NEVER GET IT RIGHT WITH OUT HIS MANY HOURS OF TRIAL AND ERROR TESTING WITH THE MARLINS AND OTHERS....IMHO:groner:....:violin:

jmort
08-02-2013, 01:24 AM
"...AND GOT THE SHAFT IN THE LONG RUN.. FRON (sic) LEE..."

I don't know Ranch Dog, but how on earth did Lee Precision give him the "shaft?" I have never seen him complain about Lee Precision. I'm in one of his current group buys from Lee Precision. Until I hear it from him in a post, I call B.S.

milprileb
08-02-2013, 09:42 AM
No NOE is doing non-TL versions. Most/many will be happy they are not the same. I like the originals.

Will NOE offer the 3rd handle cam feature like Lee does on some molds ?

nekshot
08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
All I can say is ranch dog was one fella I felt very confident dealing with and I felt his research was based on what will work best for hunting which is my goals. I simply regret I didn't have more money to buy more of his molds. I sure like the ones I have.

milprileb
08-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I sure ain't getting too far in a 6 cavity aluminum mold with the Lee 3 handle cam system .

That is a snivel but its a genuine snivel.

2wheelDuke
08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I only have 2 Ranch Dog molds, but both boolits work great for me.

I've seen some clones over at Accurate Molds, but they won't be on Lee style blocks with a cam lever on the sprue plate.

If you really want a genuine Ranch Dog mold and you can't find it used, trying to find enough like minded people here to run a group buy would be your best bet.

dragon813gt
08-02-2013, 11:22 AM

I believe they said would make TL versions as well.

PS Paul
08-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Most accurate .45 Colt boolit I've ever shot in my BH is a ranch Dog design. That's for MY gun, but it fits like a glove. A real shame he had to pile it in.....

jmort
08-02-2013, 01:41 PM
"I believe they said would make TL versions as well."

Thankfully, yes they are. I like TL bullets and won't argue with anyone who does not.

PS Paul
08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
"I believe they said would make TL versions as well."

Thankfully, yes they are. I like TL bullets and won't argue with anyone who does not.

The RD .452 290 gr. design that is most accurate for me IS a TL design, but I run it through a 450 sizer and lube traditionally. Seems to hold enough lube in the grooves to do the job and I have never been more pleased with any .452 boolit. Ever.

Sagebrush7
08-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I bought most of RD remaining stock. No molds left but have a few .411 and .432 Lee sizers left. I will make a special price to forum members .Give me a private PM. RD found out that operating a small business ,having a full time pilots job and a ranch to run did not leave time for his family. So he choose his family. A good lesson for us all, put the family first!

DLCTEX
08-02-2013, 10:13 PM
I have two RD moulds. 460-420 and 460-350. I run them through my lubesizer at 460 and lube with Carnuba Red or Ben's Red for a guide gun and a friend's 1894 Marlin with great results.

Ranch Dog
08-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Greetings guys, don't have a lot of time to participate here but I would like to say that the decision to close my business was entirely personal on my part and did not have anything to do with Lee. I consider myself privileged to have had a rewarding business relationship with the Lee Precision. There is no doubt that Lee would like to include my designs in their product line but the reality is that they don't need to right now as distributor orders for existing designs have occupied their production capacity for months to come.

I also feel lucky to have a similar relationship with Al Nelson at NOE and I'm quite pleased he has a similar interest in my designs. As his business permits, he will be adding my designs in both tumble and standard lube groove variations.

1Shirt
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Good hearing from you Michael. Have 7 of your molds and regret that I didn't buy a couple more when you were still in business. Have your 30 165gr. 6 cavs in both gas check and plain base versions. Super molds and can run thru a 20 pound pot lickity split!
1Shirt!

milprileb
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Don't mean to rain on the Ranch Dog re union here but I am still looking for
a source for a 6 cavity, aluminum block mold that has the Lee 3 handle system
with cam sprue cutting.

Could we regain focus on that please. I really want such a mold.

No offense to Ranch Dog. I wish he was in business and could solve my problem. I got a problem
needing help.

Slow Elk 45/70
08-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Well jmortimer it is your right to call BS...just shows you know nothing about RD's problems with Lee...they sent him shipments of molds that were undersized...which caused lots of problems for him... their delivery schedules for his orders were ****....He never yelled to loud he is more of a gentleman than that . I think you said you didn't know much about it, I agree 100%. Lee sure isn't going to take credit for any problems they cause. That is not the only reason he folded the tent, but he took a lot of time trying to make things right for those of us who did business with him for a long time, while he worked his rear off on design and testing. So we do not agree...no harm no foul.

milprileb
08-10-2013, 06:06 AM
kind of like to push this back to me finding the mold, can we do that please ?

nanuk
08-10-2013, 06:41 AM
milprileb

what mould do you want?

perhaps if you told us, someone may have one for sale.

as for getting a new one? that ain't happening any time soon, as you can read all about LEE and the demand issues causing delays.

milprileb
08-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Nanuk:

I am still looking for a source for a 6 cavity, aluminum block mold that has the Lee 3 handle system
with cam sprue cutting. I want such a mold in 30 cal and 303 cal 170 to 180 grain bullet weight.

Do you know any solutions ?

500MAG
08-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Nanuk:

I am still looking for a source for a 6 cavity, aluminum block mold that has the Lee 3 handle system
with cam sprue cutting. I want such a mold in 30 cal and 303 cal 170 to 180 grain bullet weight.

Do you know any solutions ?
Talk to SwedeNelson, that's Al Nelson's Cast Boolit name and he is the owner of NOE molds. It may be easier to contact him through the NOE website, just google NOE moulds. He answers back pretty quick and is a great guy. I'm not sure his designs would have the third handle but if there is enough interest he may be willing to do a Group Buy here. Hope this helps.
Charles

GRid.1569
08-11-2013, 02:33 PM
All I can say is ranch dog was one fella I felt very confident dealing with and I felt his research was based on what will work best for hunting which is my goals. I simply regret I didn't have more money to buy more of his molds. I sure like the ones I have.

Amen to that...

I've just one mould a 359-175 - RD did a "special" for me.. 5 x PB & 1x GC

GRid.1569
08-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Greetings guys, don't have a lot of time to participate here but I would like to say that the decision to close my business was entirely personal on my part and did not have anything to do with Lee. I consider myself privileged to have had a rewarding business relationship with the Lee Precision. There is no doubt that Lee would like to include my designs in their product line but the reality is that they don't need to right now as distributor orders for existing designs have occupied their production capacity for months to come.

I also feel lucky to have a similar relationship with Al Nelson at NOE and I'm quite pleased he has a similar interest in my designs. As his business permits, he will be adding my designs in both tumble and standard lube groove variations.

:goodpost: Like that... Respect...

milprileb
08-11-2013, 02:42 PM
This thread has a wandering zero ! I keep trying but some of you all are bent to take this
over the rainbow . It escapes me why you all do that, there is a chat box option if you just
want to wax and lament and chew the fat.

Can we be fair and get back on finding me the type mold I need. I am in a hurt for it .

SwedeNelson
08-11-2013, 02:53 PM
milprileb

I will have most all of the RD designs
But I dont offer 6 cavity or a third handle - Sorry

Swede Nelson

jmort
08-11-2013, 02:56 PM
"Can we be fair and get back on finding me the type mold I need"

Your O/P was for contact info for Ranch Dog. That was covered. How about a five cavity custom mold that uses Lee Precision handles? Is that O.K.?
http://accuratemolds.com/index.php

I'm thinking NOE will get you what you what you want.

There is often thread drift, comes with the territory.

milprileb
08-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Sir, thanks for the note. I was planning to call you tomorrow.

Well , looks like I am dead in the water in this hunt. Ranch Dog is gone,
NOE can't bail me out and I am going down in flames. Thanks for all the
help .

dromia
08-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Yep, looks like the sky has definitely fallen in on you and the end of the world is nigh.

jmort
08-11-2013, 03:02 PM
^ Ha, nice

milprileb
08-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Dromia: your fate is English food. Enjoy !!!

On second thought, I should not wish that cuisine on anyone.

Frozone
08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Ok, I have to ask.

I have used both the LEE 3 handle system and NOE's sprue cutter, I can't for the life of me understand why you insist on the LEE.

Not trolling , just very curious.

The only thing the LEE design has going for it that I can see is: it cuts sprues with a dull aluminum blade.
I have to shorten the 3rd handle ~ 1 1/2" so I can hold the thing for long periods - LEE recommends Not holding it by all three handles.
And the sprue cutter is marginal at best. once trimmed it is no easier to cut with then anything else.

While with NOE's steel cutter I just use my gloved hand and it cuts even a rock hark sprue, one that stands a good chance of breaking the LE handle.

waksupi
08-11-2013, 04:02 PM
If people didn't go off topic, individual topics would be down on page 12 in a day.

Frozone
08-11-2013, 04:14 PM
and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their **** when they jumped.

GLL
08-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Mihec at MP Molds makes a beautiful 6-cavity aluminum mold with the cam lever !
He is best known for his brass Cramer-style molds but has made several 6-cavity designs in aluminum as well.
I have a couple. They are very nicely crafted molds simiiar to NOE. The cam lever is machined steel rather than the LEE pot-metal part and contacts the mold body on a hardened screw surface ! All of the spru bolts have set screws.

Since they are/were Group Buy molds you would have a long wait trying to get one "nowadays" !
MP is your solution ! It is not a quick solution though ! ;)

MP 429-255 with KAL handles
http://www.fototime.com/96E341AE85CB393/orig.jpg

Jerry

KrisR
08-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I have too subscribe to this thread for future reference,, I have been wondering where and who makes RD mold

milprileb
08-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Why a 3 handle Lee system : easy to answer, its arthritis. Far easier for me to work.

milprileb
08-11-2013, 07:48 PM
http://accuratemolds.com/index.php

This might be a solution of sorts: rifle bullets in light aluminum mold.

GLL
08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Tom at Accurate Molds does not make 6-cavity molds or have cam levers available !

Jerry

milprileb
08-11-2013, 10:09 PM
His site shows 5 cavity aluminum so thats as close as I am gonna get it seems.

Maybe I can get the sprue plate modified ?

GLL
08-12-2013, 11:30 AM
milprileb:

For your reference:

Here is one of my 5-cavity Accurate Molds along with a KAL machined steel cam lever. I reversed the mold in the handles to give you an idea of how you might have to modify things to get what you need.

http://www.fototime.com/72E25DA274E2B5D/large.jpg

Jerry

colt1960
08-12-2013, 08:58 PM
I feel that Ranch-Dog molds were greatly designed bullets and 6 cavity is nice. I also feel the quality of the 5 cavity NOE mold blocks are much, much higher than the lee blocks. If it is hard for you to use molds that dont have the cam lever spruce cutter you can buy a wooden spruce cutter mallet from NOE and just whack the spruce cutter with it instead of trying to use your hand. Its what I use. Rick!

dromia
08-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not english and I don't eat english food.

Funny things assumptions.

Dromia: your fate is English food. Enjoy !!!

On second thought, I should not wish that cuisine on anyone.

Frozone
08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
how dare someone call a scottsman english!! might as well call the pope a baptist.

ben lurkin
08-13-2013, 08:51 PM

How are existing, partially paid orders with you being handled? Will you be fulfilling them or is that being handled by NOE as well?

Slow Elk 45/70
08-24-2013, 05:12 AM
[smilie=1: There is a lot of information and other sites that a person could READ and become more educiated before leaping into unfounded conclusions and opinions... would help the members understand that 99% of these assumptions on their part have been discussed and proven or dis-proved years ago... while some of these folks were only a gleam in their parents mind
I am sorry in advance for my openions in advance. I just have a hard time reading this back and forth between a couple of members that know that their advice has a lot of testing behind it, and some new members that seem to think they "know" the answer to their question before they start the thread...???!!!! IMHO... But do have fun with your experiments...[smilie=1: