I casted up some out of soft lead for max expanson on vermin at min velosity
Tryed to size 1 with a standard top punch
Crushed it slightly
Next one crushed a little different
Didn't like the results

Don't have a push thru sizer in the right size

So I was thinking of turning a top punch that fits into the hollow point

So it would not deform the bullet nose

Or if that dosn't work maybe drilling out a top punch so I could insert a insert to fit the Hollow point

Any other sujestions ?

John

powderburnerr
10-10-2007, 12:03 AM
how about pan lubing and shooting as cast . pure lead doesnt solder like lead tin /lead tinantimony alloys.......Dean

crazy mark
10-10-2007, 12:38 AM
I have done the NP turned with a pin in the middle and also done a TP with a pin insert method. Both work good. I also have the ability to nose first size with a homemade set-up. I size 31141 HP's with out messing up the noses as well as 311291 HP's. Mark

Char-Gar
10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Check around for some threads on Buckshot's "nose picker" nose punch. It is a gizmo with a pin to hold the HP open and open it up a mite in the process... works well.

JeffinNZ
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Or a Lee push through die.

Ricochet
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
A Lee push through sizing set runs about $10, complete with a bottle of LLA!

Johnch
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I had a machineist make me 2 top punchs today at the machine shop I was working at
1 is just a pin for the hollow point and the other is a exact copy of the profile of the bullet nose with a pin for the hollow point

He charged me a 6 pack of beer

I wonder how he acounted for the time :twisted::twisted:

John

beagle
10-17-2007, 11:28 PM
John....No need to bribe the machinist. We've been making "nosepicker" TP's for years.

Get some 5/16" stock. Aluminum will do nicely. Whack off a 1" long section. Chuck in an electric drill and use a flat file and you have your own lathe. The shank should measure about .260" for Lyman and RCBS sizers. Length is not critical.

Reverse the TP and use the file to turn a "tit" on one end that's about .125" long and just a tad bigger than the cavity and you're in business.

This evolved when we had HP bullets with uneven cavity edges or lead "boogers" on the inside of the cavity due to flashing....hence the name "nosepicker".

Takes about 20 minutes to make one with a drill and a file. And they are great for centering the bullet in the sizer...an added bonus./beagle