PDA

View Full Version : debated about posting this.

Freightman
07-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I hate to do a lot of bragging but the $149 CVA Hawken I won on GB looks like it is going to make a shooter. Ten shots at 50 yds. Should have said with what duh! Lyman plains boolit, 50-50 BW-Lard, 80gr of Home made BP

aspangler
07-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Yup. That's a keeper.

roots911
07-28-2013, 03:29 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of the CVA's are as accurate as weapons that cost 3 or 4 times as much. That is definitely a keeper that your "friends" are going to try to talk you out of. Great on line score!

LynC2
07-28-2013, 05:33 PM
That's not bragging, just saying you got a good deal and it shoots great! :smile:

Bo1
07-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Real nice shooting there Frank.
Bo

Taylor
07-28-2013, 07:59 PM
I'd be real happy with that.

Boerrancher
07-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Yep I would say that is a keeper. Good shooting on your part as well. The gun is only as good as the man behind it.

Best wishes

Joe

45 Bravo
07-28-2013, 10:01 PM
What boerrancher said is true.

You can give a so so shooter a race gun and only see a marginal improvement in his scores,
Give an excellent shooter a decent quality gun and his scores will not be far from what he normally shoots.

A long time ago I heard a former bianchi cup winner say "it ain't the guy that just bought a$1500 gun that worries me, it is he guy that just spent $1500 in primers, powder and projectiles..."

**oneshot**
07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Thats not bragging!!! Thats the proud owner of a muzzle loader warning to what the deer are up against this year! I think you have the upper hand.

BruceB
07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Early in my Bullseye shooting career back in the '60s, I was using three club-owned guns.... a Star .22 auto, a K-22 revolver, and a Browning Challenger.

Getting serious, I bought a left-handed Browning Medalist. Scores IMMEDIATELY went up by several points per target. After a few years with the Browning, I went to a High Standard "Military" Citation, and the scores IMMEDIATELY climbed again. The H-S took me well into the "Master" class.

All this shows is that, given a certain amount of acquired skill and knowledge, a more-refined instrument MIGHT help us along the way. At the least, a serious competitor should obtain the best tools he can, in order not to worry about possible shortcomings in his equipment.

(My High Standard lasted for years, until I replaced it with a Unique DES 69, a French-built pistol which I found to be even better for my purposes.

That is VERY nice work with that rifle... I can hear the deer shaking in the bushes from here..

Liberty'sSon
07-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Looks like a good one to me.

7of7
08-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Now, if only I can get the operator of my muzzleloader to work right.. I keep trying, must not be consistant enough.... yet..

hatcreek
08-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Thats awsome, not bragging, way to go, makes me want to break out the old smokepole and do some shoot'n today. HC

bigted
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I am always laughing when someone else finds out the accuracy capability's of a CVA. I put a kit together years n years ago from a CVA Kentucky rifle with the 2 piece stock. as a teenager you can imagine the mess I made of that rifle kit HOWEVER ... when I fed it those patched .440 balls behind the C&H 3f powder ans sparked it off with the cheapest caps I could find ... I could hit pop cans and such size targets at 100 yard anytime I wanted to do so. this with the very PRIMITIVE sights it came with.

I had 2 things going for me then ... first I had eyes I could see with and ... I had the dumb luck that follows a kid that is just out to have fun.

I never discount a CVA and yours is no exception... congrats on a great shootin iron and on a very sharp eye and shooting style.

LOOK OUT DEER POPULATION IN YOUR "AO".

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I am always laughing when someone else finds out the accuracy capability's of a CVA. I put a kit together years n years ago from a CVA Kentucky rifle with the 2 piece stock. as a teenager you can imagine the mess I made of that rifle kit HOWEVER ... when I fed it those patched .440 balls behind the C&H 3f powder ans sparked it off with the cheapest caps I could find ... I could hit pop cans and such size targets at 100 yard anytime I wanted to do so. this with the very PRIMITIVE sights it came with.

I had 2 things going for me then ... first I had eyes I could see with and ... I had the dumb luck that follows a kid that is just out to have fun.

I never discount a CVA and yours is no exception... congrats on a great shootin iron and on a very sharp eye and shooting style.

LOOK OUT DEER POPULATION IN YOUR "AO".

I have one of those cva kentucky 45 kit guns not especially well finished , fed .440 round balls it makes a lot of center fire rifles look bad at 100 yards

Newtire
08-09-2013, 10:41 PM
I saw a guy with one of those .45 2-piece stock rifles shooting cast .45 ACP slugs. My T/C Hawken couldn't come close to those groups that guy was shooting.

Maven
08-10-2013, 09:23 AM
No need to debate posting thise results, Frank. Excellent!