PDA

View Full Version : Lube help

glockky
07-28-2013, 10:01 AM
What lube would you recommend for pan lubing 44 mag and 45-70 bullets for rifle. Velocity will be around 1500-1800 fps

mdi
07-28-2013, 11:54 AM
My pan lubed .44 Magnum bullets are lubed with Carnauba Red from White label Lubes, or some home made Speed Green

fryboy
07-29-2013, 09:10 AM
you buying it or wanting to make it ? the velocities you list arent as demanding as some so you have a wide range of options , the 44 mag perhaps could stand a bit better lube than the 45-70 ( think in terms of p.s.i. ) but even that will depend upon alloy used ,lithi-bee or any of it's many variations should work , if you're buying it it's really hard to beat white label's BAC , the carnuba red will work but it's a lil more temp sensitive for best removal from the pan/cake , also area can sometimes play into the final equation , what's good for me in my summer heat may not apply to the feller from freezeurcanoff,mich. some of that can be dealt with when you make your lube by adding more or less beeswax/oil/grease ( also for winter/summer blends ) if you're making it it doesnt get much easier than 60-40 % wax and the remainder grease ( white lith or vaseline also works ) for an oil/wax based lube use use 75-85% wax and the rest oil ( also adjust for current temps ) i use alot of FWWFL ( a few minor variations but still in essence )

pdawg_shooter
07-29-2013, 11:18 AM
+1 on the BAC. I use it for everything.

375RUGER
07-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I have pan lubed with Lotak and TAC1 with good results for 44mag and FWFL for other boolits.

glockky
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I am a newbie someone is going to have to explain what FWWFL and FWFL means

fryboy
07-29-2013, 06:45 PM
fwfl is felix's world famous lube , with the added w it's felix's and wilgen's world famous lube , it's in the recipe section and other than first cooking the oil it's pretty easy , i made a couple small batches and then cooked a larger quantity of oil for the next batches because it works pretty darn good , so now all i have to do is heat up the required amount of pre-cooked oils and add the other stuff , it's one of my main lubes ( ol' reliable if you will ;) )
i'll admit that at first all the lube info can seem daunting but by picking only one recipe and making/using it it let's you get your feet wet , because you're new to it it would best to follow a posted known recipe ( pick any of them there's several good ones and most should work well for your use - at least until you start pushing the pressure levels tho fwwfl can withstand a bit more than you listed )
goatlip's page has a pretty good spread on it and if you dont push your mag too hard the emmert's lube he uses would also suffice for your needs

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

blikseme300
07-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Member RandyRat sells Tac#1 and will supply the lube in cake form for pan lubing.