PDA

View Full Version : Clogged up Star sizer die

birch
07-28-2013, 12:38 AM
I did some trading with another "cast" member and ended up with a San Diago .309.

I usually don't start plugging holes until I size a few to see how they are taking lube. They boolits were taking too much lube ahead of the grooves, so I took out the die and plugged off the bottom set of holes. I started to die and realized that I was getting almost no lube whatsoever. I popped it back out, cleaned out the channel, and heated it up to get rid of any excess lube.

When I started looking, I saw that someone had previously the two top sets of holes. I popped out the shot that I put on the bottom sets and there were traces of lead in those as well. There was only one hole that did not have shot pressed in. I thought I could get a dental pick in there, but the previous owner has them pressed in so hard that I bent my pic trying to pry them out. I went to the garage and ground a drill bit down to a fine needle like point and I still could not get anywhere.

I have no idea what I am going to do to get that lead shot out of the inner tiny, tiny hole that leads to the die throat. The only thing I can think of is to heat the die up to the melting point and put try to blow the lead out with my air compressor.

I hope someone has had this happen and can offer up some great advise. I am out of ideas.

ReloaderFred
07-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Have you watched the video Magma has on their website? Here's the link: http://www.magmaengineering.com/videos/#RemoveStarShot

I have about 30 Star sizing dies and I've never had a problem removing lead shot from any of the bleed holes. Be careful poking around the small holes with hard objects, as you can cause a burr on the inside of the die that will scratch your bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rbuck351
07-29-2013, 01:49 AM
You should be able to use a tiny drill and drill it out very easily unless someone has plugged it with something other than lead. Get a pin vice to hold the drill and proceed carefully by hand. I can't remember what # sized drill to use but I think it's about .043. Just get one that barely fits through one of the open holes.

birch
07-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I had another cast member suggest a small propane torch. I slowly heated up until the lube started to burn off. Shortly after, the little lead balls just popped out like they had been waiting. I don't know if this is a "normal" procedure, but it worked.

MtGun44
08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
You can damage the heat treat and soften the die, I'd avoid the torch.

Bill