PDA

View Full Version : How to draw down tubing...

SheepDogAlpha
07-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Hello all. I have given it my best to find a source to demonstrate how to draw down copper tubing. I want to be able to swage .355 jackets. Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest idea how I do this. I have read a lot on here and I can't seem to picture it. I am also curious as to what equipment is needed to do this. Thanks in advance!

uncle joe
07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
most tubing is drawn through a die, over a mandrel. the die sizes the outside and the mandrel sizes the inside. At least that's how most steel tubing is made. some is drawn over a bar and then stressed to swell it enough to get the bar out. Copper is soft and should size easy. just use lube.

nhrifle
07-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Daywalker put out a pair of videos on youtube that explain the process we use at home. It's actually quite simple. Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfvuwPTTaI

If you have the machining ability to make the tooling, you can do it too.

midnight
07-27-2013, 11:40 PM
When I want to make a bullet jacket smaller in diameter than the tubing I have, I first make the jacket by cutting the tubing to the length specified for the die & punch that round over the end of the tubing. The punch will have an OD that is a slip fit into the tubing. The punch will have a step that will push the specific length up into a die bored to the OD of the tubing. The end of the die will be either rounded or have about a 45 degree cone on the blind end. The punch step pushes the tubing into the die and the end of the tubing takes the shape of the blind end. An ejection pin will push the jacket out of the die. The next step flattens the end of the jacket. This is sometimes done in the core seat die. Now you have the copper cup that can be drawn down to the diameter jacket you want. I make my draw dies from a 2in length of 7/8x14 threaded rod. I bore a hole all the way through of a dia. larger than the jacket I want to produce. I then bore a pocket on one end to accept a 3/8 long x 1/2dia drill bushing with a press fit. Select a drill bushing as close to the final jacket dia as possible & polish it out to the correct dia. I use a stone to grind a taper on both ends of the bushing and then polish the daylights out of it. Press the bushing into the pocket. Make a punch ( I turn down 1/2 in W1 drill rod to the expected ID of the finished jacket and use it to push the jacket through the bushing. I use mine to draw 30 cal jackets down to 284 & 277 but the principle works for any size. You can even bore the pocket in the die slightly oversize and use a set screw to secure the bushing. Kind of a long explanation but I hope it helps.

Bob

ps: To make 0.355 jackets you would start with 3/8 or 0.375 tubing. One draw die should take it down to 0.355.

SheepDogAlpha
07-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you so much for the info guys! I have learned a ton! Now I just need to find a draw die. I think I might just stick with drawing 9mm cases for my jackets. What is the going rate for this die?