PDA

View Full Version : Any one in Houston know of a hog hunting place?

ButterNutZ
07-27-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm fixing to drive down to Houston for couple of weeks and was wondering if any one knows where to go hog hunting there. I might get a day off and instead of sitting at the hotel want to try and get me a hog. Never been on a hog hunt and from reading on the internet there should be plenty of pigs to harvest. If you fellas know a good place that doesn't charge an arm and a left nut for a hog hunt, please let me know, I would really appreciate that.

ButterNutZ
07-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Made my way down to Texas, still looking for a place to go get bacon.

SteveK
07-30-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm not from Texas but my boy and I went hunting here in May: Directions from Houston;
Travel west on I-10. You will travel approx. 90 miles past Katy, Texas. You will take exit #649 and turn left. This is Highway 97 and you will travel exactly 4.0 miles. Enter gate on the left. Wait at the next locked gate until your guide meets you at your appointed check in time. No early check in. Please park off to the side, keeping the driveway clear. See you soon at the ranch!

We had a great time and came back with a mess o'bacon. The staff was helpful and the accommodations were comfortable. The might be closed up for the hot season.

Here's the website: http://www.hoghuntingintexas.com/

Hope this helps.

ButterNutZ
07-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks Steve, but I think that place is a bit to far for me.
Found this guys click here (http://boarsnesthunts.com/Fees___Cost.html) in Columbus that are quite a bit close and a bit cheaper. Any of you local guys know about this place?

SteveK
07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks Steve, but I think that place is a bit to far for me.
Found this guys click here (http://boarsnesthunts.com/Fees___Cost.html) in Columbus that are quite a bit close and a bit cheaper. Any of you local guys know about this place?

I understand closer... The place we went to was $299 for 3 (short) days and INCLUDED lodging and meals, so you might save a tad there. The processing price was about the same up to 100 pound animal but each additional pound was about 15 cents. Caveat: they will process everything you shoot; i.e., no self butchering, and if you shot a piglet you still had to pay the minimum $45... not a good deal. No matter what you decide, good hunting!

RPRNY
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
I hunted the same place as Steve. It's basic and the only wild animals (trapped hogs that they buy in) on the property are the pigs but there's plenty of hunting and the walk up hunts in the day are an interesting challenge. They skin, quarter and freeze your hogs. The food is cheap and cheerful but plentiful and our wrangler, Cody , was a super nice guy. I took a little 65 lbs oinker at night, another 85 lbs the next night and 122 lbs ornery tusker that got up out of nowhere and charged me from 25 yards in a walk up day hunt. Dropped him at 5 yards -quite a little rush.

Closer to San Antonio than Houston. Lots of hog hunting between there and Houston, but I'd go again.

ButterNutZ
07-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Steve I only have a day to spend on a hunting trip. From looking around $175 for a day with no trophy fee and and unlimited pigs sounds very reasonable.