PDA

View Full Version : Kinda breaks my heart, but...

BBQJOE
07-27-2013, 07:29 PM
I've spent a great deal of time this summer casting. I've also spent a fair amount of time on tumble lubes, pan lubes, and lubing my bullets in general.
I had zero luck pan lubing. Not much with alox either. Some fair results with recluse, but still not happy with tumble lubing.
I've now gone with hi-tek, and I'm pleased as punch.
Unfortunately, I have some thousands of TL bullets, which I am committing back to the pot.

I remelted a whole pot full of recluse lubed bullets today. I swear that pot smoldered and stunk for close to an hour before I could approach it and start casting. Even after I scooped out a bunch of the melted waxes, it just continued to smoke.

This is going to be awful, but I'm not shooting TL's ever again if I can help it.

I do have like 500 9's and a few 100 .44's already loaded with TL, but I'm not taking them apart, so I guess they'll just have to be shot, and the leading dealt with later.

Go choreboy!!!!

shadowcaster
07-27-2013, 07:54 PM
I remelted a whole pot full of recluse lubed bullets today. I swear that pot smoldered and stunk for close to an hour before I could approach it and start casting. Even after I scooped out a bunch of the melted waxes, it just continued to smoke.

If you are happy with the boolits themselves, try boiling off the tumble lube. Give it a rinse or two with mineral spirits. It's what is used to thin the mix anyway. Then use your HI-tek without having to do the remelt.

Shad

BBQJOE
07-27-2013, 07:59 PM
If you are happy with the boolits themselves, try boiling off the tumble lube. Give it a rinse or two with mineral spirits. It's what is used to thin the mix anyway. Then use your HI-tek without having to do the remelt.

Shad
You just gotta know that's gonna be an awful mess too.

shadowcaster
07-27-2013, 08:04 PM
You just gotta know that's gonna be an awful mess too.

Not really.. you are not burning any thing. Boil them, pour off the liquid and have several mineral spirits baths ready to remove the residue. You may have to let them cool a bit.. I don't know the flash point of mineral spirits. Simple! :)

Shad

Cherokee
07-27-2013, 08:06 PM
We do and learn. Just part of life, and this hobby.

BBQJOE
07-27-2013, 08:10 PM
We do and learn. Just part of life, and this hobby.
^^^I accept this.

fcvan
07-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I would think long and hard about doing an outdoor smelt in a covered pot for a sufficient time to allow the 'smoke' to subside. I had some really hunky stuff so I put it in a Dutch oven with the lid on and some wood chips thrown in for good measure. After about 30 minutes the melt needed a good stirring and removal of the blackened crud. Voila! And, I didn't have to deal with smoking funk.

BBQJOE
07-27-2013, 08:13 PM
I would think long and hard about doing an outdoor smelt in a covered pot for a sufficient time to allow the 'smoke' to subside. I had some really hunky stuff so I put it in a Dutch oven with the lid on and some wood chips thrown in for good measure. After about 30 minutes the melt needed a good stirring and removal of the blackened crud. Voila! And, I didn't have to deal with smoking funk.
Most definitely outdoors. :-)

RobS
07-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I would melt them back down as you never know if the lube will still be on the boolits some how and create new issues with the Hi-Tec coating. Sometimes it's better to cut your loses.

JWFilips
07-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Seriously a good soak in Mineral Spirits Or if you want really squeaky clean Heptane....I sure wouldn't recast good boolits if it was just a lube problem. Got a cabinet full of exotic solvents...(will it shorten my life who knows?) :shock: