PDA

View Full Version : refinishing two old knives

buckshotgeorge
07-27-2013, 02:59 PM
i have 2 high quality old big knives.Both came from Dixie Gun Works back when it was Dixie knife works 15 yrs ago'
i have one Arkansas toothpick and one Bowie knife.

the Bowie is HEAVY full tang,thick brass handguard,stained wood grips,and now a shiny metal blade. What should i do with the blade??? i was thinking of browning it? bluing it? its going to be sold to a local collector i think.

as for the Arkansas toothpick,i polished the brass pommel and guard and the blade is now bright and rust free..what would a real Arkansas toothpick from 1870 be like? Like Arkansas Dave had? :)

Any suggestions??

seagiant
07-27-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.knives.com/knives/howto/21-bob-engnath-on-qhand-finishingq.html

mazo kid
07-27-2013, 06:05 PM
May be a different company as I think Dixie Gun Works has been in existence for as long as I have been shooting muzzleloaders and that is near 40 years! They do sell knives, kits and blades however.

waksupi
07-27-2013, 08:44 PM

buckshotgeorge
07-27-2013, 09:25 PM
May be a different company as I think Dixie Gun Works has been in existence for as long as I have been shooting muzzleloaders and that is near 40 years! They do sell knives, kits and blades however.

youre right its the same but i got a catolog in the mail,back when stuff was still mailed, and it seems like it was Dixie gun works but only their "knife catalog".im pretty sure it was the same.their knives sure do cost more now!

thanks for your input.

buckshotgeorge
07-27-2013, 09:27 PM
http://www.knives.com/knives/howto/21-bob-engnath-on-qhand-finishingq.html

thanks,i checked it out.thanks for the input.

buckshotgeorge
07-27-2013, 09:29 PM

first you send me a weird private message,then you do"...."whatever that means.if you dont know the answer,you dont have to say anything.youre acting kind of creepy.have a good evening.

waksupi
07-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Just so members know, this guy was banned two days ago, and signed in under another name. Buh-bye!

Love Life
07-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Trying to sell his knives perhaps?

knifemaker
07-28-2013, 01:19 AM
sounds like he wants to "antique" some re-production knives and sell them off as original antiques from the 1800's.

possom813
07-28-2013, 01:29 AM
On another note, since the thread is already here, I have an old "Puma Hunter's Pal" knife that I've carried for years and years for skinning.

I grabbed it the other day out of the bag o' knives to make sure it had a good edge on it for the upcoming seasons and I realized that it's beat to heck.

The blade is just scratched up, dull, dirty, and just doesn't look like it's supposed to. How would I go about bringing it back to it's former, shiny, glory? Or at least make it look a bit nicer, it doesn't have to be absolutely gorgeous, it's a carry knife that gets used a lot, I'd just like to pretty it up a little bit.

Cosmiceyes
07-28-2013, 03:12 AM
On another note, since the thread is already here, I have an old "Puma Hunter's Pal" knife that I've carried for years and years for skinning.

I grabbed it the other day out of the bag o' knives to make sure it had a good edge on it for the upcoming seasons and I realized that it's beat to heck.

The blade is just scratched up, dull, dirty, and just doesn't look like it's supposed to. How would I go about bringing it back to it's former, shiny, glory? Or at least make it look a bit nicer, it doesn't have to be absolutely gorgeous, it's a carry knife that gets used a lot, I'd just like to pretty it up a little bit.

If you have a grinder,buy a polishing wheel,and media for it.Then get to work. If you don't 1000 grit wet sand paper. If it need a new edge I suggest Lansky Knife sharpener Diamond set.

Cosmiceyes
07-28-2013, 03:17 AM
i have 2 high quality old big knives.Both came from Dixie Gun Works back when it was Dixie knife works 15 yrs ago'
i have one Arkansas toothpick and one Bowie knife.

the Bowie is HEAVY full tang,thick brass handguard,stained wood grips,and now a shiny metal blade. What should i do with the blade??? i was thinking of browning it? bluing it? its going to be sold to a local collector i think.

as for the Arkansas toothpick,i polished the brass pommel and guard and the blade is now bright and rust free..what would a real Arkansas toothpick from 1870 be like? Like Arkansas Dave had? :)

Any suggestions??

I have been buying black powder guns from Dixie Gun Works since the sixties.They advertised in the back of Field & Stream, Fur Fish & Game. They have always gone by that name. My first casts were .36 round balls. Did my Moms Crisco bill go up!

possom813
07-28-2013, 04:00 AM
If you have a grinder,buy a polishing wheel,and media for it.Then get to work. If you don't 1000 grit wet sand paper. If it need a new edge I suggest Lansky Knife sharpener Diamond set.

The edge isn't an issue :mrgreen:

The blade is just scratched up pretty bad and it's ugly because of that.

I have a 6" or 8"(I don't use it very often) bench grinder and several angle grinders of various sizes. Have you any recommendations on what type of wheel and compound to use and with what type of grinder?