PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 40-82 Chambers

Kansas Ed
07-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Well gents....here's the deal. I have a nice 1886 in 40-82. It shoots well with cast, but the down side to this rifle is that the groove measures 408+ and of course the chamber is tight. Now I can neck ream/turn brass till it's about .012" per side and get a .4085 boolit to chamber...and it does work well this way. But I'd sure like to get a little more life out of my brass...not to mention a little more room to play. Has anyone any ideas that are tried and proven to expand the neck area of the chamber on this critter a few thousandths?

BTW: A little 40-82 story for your amusement. A few years back I finally settled on an accurate load for my 40-82 (1489 fps) and decided to take it to MO. for a hunt. I was sitting with my back up against a gate post watching a little draw to the south. The tree line was about 60 yards from my position with another 30 or so to the ravine bottom. Morning had just happened, and the sun was still low on the horizon. Visibility was excellent in the open, but the fence row I was watching down into the ravine was still dark and obscure. The ravine worked it's way east to west and ended up about 500-600 yards south in a bottom field we grew up calling "little Egypt". For that part of Mo. our "little Egypt" is pretty close to "no mans land" for MO. Deer regularly make the run via the ravine from LE to the higher pastures of dad's place. I'm a meat hunter, and had already passed on a 8+ point old buck that walked within 10 yards of me that morning. (I hate rank venison). So I'm sitting there waiting for the next big doe, when what appears (remember the light is poor)..to be a forked horn making his way through the shaded darkness up the ravine to the east. Forked horn...ought to be decent eating... When he got to the hog wire fence which I was sitting at, he jumped the fence and then started following it up the hill straight towards me. I readied the '86....He's facing me..head down grazing...and slowly moving my direction. I have the uphill position and I'm thinking: "If I drop one in between his shoulder blades when he has his head down...it will follow the spine for a short distance and exit out the top. No meat damage...OK?

Now since I'm an engineer...it all looks good on paper...right? So at about 60 yards, when he has his head buried in the grass...I squeeze off. I swear I've never thought a deer could bounce so hard. The 265gr Leadheads slug hit right where I put it. A solid "THUD" as he collapsed with nary a twitch. I grinned. Thought I felt the vibration through the dirt. So I wait a minute, then stretch my morning stiff limbs upwards and head to the scene. Yep...I hit him as intended....BUT...my carefully calculated exit strategy didn't work out quite so well in practical life....the 265 gr gas checked slug entered at the base of the neck between the shoulder blades and.....exited out his nut sack. I've never had to gut a more miserable mess as what that hardcast slug created between the shoulders and the privates. NOTHING internal was spared. And as for the forked horn...well he was a 6 point...and as rank as Vietnamese KimChi. But the positive note....the 40-82 is a penetrator supreme. :shock:

Ed

Geobru
07-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Ed,
The only accurate way would be to use a reamer to open it up a few thou, but that isn't cheap. You could take an old piece of brass and load a piece of lead in it so the OD is the right diameter. Put a screw in the primer hole, coat it with grinding compound and spin it with a drill. Would I do that to my 40-82? Nope. As you know, I have the same problem, but I use .410 sized bullets.

I have thought about having my chamber reamed, but I really don't want to do that to a gun that was built in 1887!

How many loads are you getting with your brass? I started with Starline 45-90 brass and formed it with my FL sizing die without annealing the brass. I got 16 reloads per piece before the last 3/32" of the brass came off like a ring on two of the pieces. It broke at the point where the brass was being crimped. I annealed the brass to see if the brass would continue to break if I kept reloading it. So far, I have gotten as many as 8 more loads from the annealed brass, making a total of 24 loads and still going.

EDG
07-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Do not wallow your chamber out with an abrasive!!!!!

There are 2 ways to do this. Use a piloted reamer or chambering reamer of the correct size.

If you know a guy that is a wizard with a lathe a long skinny boring bar can be used to bore the neck out.

Just remember whoever you trust this too that you cannot put metal back so you only get one chance to do it right.

One of my bosses asked me to open the neck of a 40-70 Sharpstraight. The Remington Hepburn barrel was marked 40 2.5. This is a more difficult chamber to bore than a .40-82 because it has little taper and is smaller at the base.
There is not a lot of metal to remove so the boring bar has to cut well on the first pass with out chatter.
The chamber neck has to be indicated in to dead nuts. In his case it took about .002 to clean up the neck.
He asked for .005 clear over the loaded case dia with a groove dia bullet. At that time all he had for brass was RWS 9.3X74. I told him it might shoot a little better at .003 clearance. He wanted .005 so I dialed it .005 and it cut .004 over. He decided he was happy with that so I gave it a little polish with 600 grit.
He was very happy with the results. He later got really good groups with that rifle.
Messing with an impossible to replace 100 year old original barrel is not for the careless.

Kansas Ed
07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the late response. I really appreciate all the feedback here. I just don't get to the computer often, just read on my phone and I can't type on that thing worth a hoot.

My problem with the reamer issue, is that if I look at the 40-82 chamber dimensions, the standard chamber doesn't leave any room for brass when you step up the boolit to .409 diameter. If I look at the .405 chamber mouth dimensions, it should be about .437", and the 40-82 is stuck at .427"

I'm only getting about 5 reloads before I start showing neck splits right now. And I hate that. But I may be stuck with it.

Ed

WARD O
07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
I would be very reluctant to screw with a nice '86. They ain't makin' them anymore you know.

I have the same issue with my HiWall in 40-82 and like you, ended up turning the brass to accomodate the correct bullet diameter. However, I am a black powder shooter and have been wondering if maybe what I should be doing is shooting an undersized bullet of a very soft alloy with the black and working with obturation. I have not gotten back to messing with this rifle now but this is where I believe I will be going.

If you are reluctant to shoot black, try a duplex loading - they will keep the barrel clean for repeated shots.

Winchester made the rifle to shoot - all you need to do is figure out how that was done and repeat it!

ward