PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Load boolit for the 45 Colt R-92 or maybe the 45-70

helice
07-26-2013, 11:57 PM
I got to looking at the Lee catalog posted above and noticed the REAL muzzle loader boolit. It reminded me of a boolit that LBT used to build for quiet loads. It seems that the LBT boolit only had 2 driving bands and may have been more like a wadcutter (don't recall). I believe that it was supposed to be used in unsized brass and shoved down as far into the case as was possible with a dowel or something.
Has anyone done any work with that 45 caliber REAL for quiet loads in the 45 colt or 45-70? Pardon me for not looking close at the actual diameter of the thing. If so, what have you found?

helice
07-27-2013, 12:19 AM
I went back to the catalog above to check the diameter of the 45 REAL. Color me stupid but I couldn't find it. I went back to a 2007 catalog and couldn't find it. I looked at the 45 caliber hollow based Minis and found that they have one at .450" and an oversize at .454". Is the 45 caliber REAL only .450 diameter? If so - well my question is sort of without merit. It wouldn't work in either the 45-70 or the 45 Colt. Who's got one of these that they could check diameter for me?
I'm trying to get a heavy quiet for a fellow who has wild hogs come right down to his place. His neighbor is NOT in favor of firearms so quiet is the key. He has a Winchester in 45 Colt. Thanks in advance for the help.

mroliver77
07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Quiet = Long barrel, heavy for caliber boolit, fast powder.

helice
07-27-2013, 02:59 PM
MROliver,
I am in complete agreement. I just wondered if that 250 grain REAL would duplicate the idea LBT had some years ago. I just can't find out the actual diameter of the 4 bands. It doesn't look like there has been much interest in this?

curator
07-29-2013, 08:08 AM
The 250 grain .45 caliber R.E.A.L. that I cast from pure lead measures about .447 on the bottom band and .464 on the top band. I have sized them down to .454 for use in .45 Colt cases using the Lee push through sizing die. Hard work even with pure lead and you have to push the bullet in base first. I ended up with a wadcutter of sorts. I shot some of these lubed with Alox and seated deep over 2 grains of Bullseye for "cat-sneeze" loads in my Rossi Puma .45 Colt. Relatively quiet but strong medicine on foraging raccoons.

helice
07-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Curator,
This is just the info I wanted. Is it normal for a REAL slug to have such a huge driving band? I can see how it would be a chore to push that thing thru a Lee die. Do the 4 bands get progressively larger as you go up from the base? Another question: Is this a hollow base boolit like the minis that Lee builds? Probably not. I have also wondered if the oversized mini Lee makes would make a good quiet load boolit.