PDA

View Full Version : Cva bobcat nos

roots911
07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Went to my favorite little out of the way gun shop today to look at a percussion Lyman GPR that I had seen there before but never really inspected. Long story short it had been fired long ago and never cleaned. The barrel looked like the proverbial sewer pipe. Rough as a cobb and sad to look at. Then I spotted in the corner a CVA Bobcat. Picked it up and it looked like it had never been fired. Dropped in the bore light and - It had never been fired. It has the black plastic stock and is the proverbial ugly stick. But at $80 otd I just couldn't put it back in the corner all alone so I adopted it. Metal finishes are fine but now I have to get rid of that plastic stock and put a piece of real wood on it. The traditions rifle looks like the parts are the same and I was wondering if anyone had swapped a wood stock from it to the Bobcat. I know that the Traditions barrels have a hooked breech while the Bobcat is a button so the tangs would have to be switched also. If anyone has any experience with this switch I would be interested in reading about your trials and tribulations. Thanks for looking.

mooman76
07-27-2013, 12:08 AM
There are several cva wood stocks on ebay that may work for you.

07-27-2013, 12:58 AM
I use that rifle in a summer camp for boys and girls. We have several. Two with wood and two with that plastic stock. Have been shooting them for 10 - 12 years without a hiccup. Great instructional gun. Have found that Triple Seven gives a much better group than Pyrodex. Real BP is too much work for the volume we shoot. It may be an ugly duckling, but boy - boy is it ever accurate and reliable! Seems like we paid $70 / per or so way back when. Even young hands can't stop it. You will enjoy it.

dondiego
07-27-2013, 08:59 AM
725- I don't understand your comment "Real black is too much work" ???

Hanshi
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Great catch with that rifle. A wood stock should be no problem.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I am still kicking myself for not buying every one of those i saw at walmart when they were clearance off muzzle loaders i think i recall seeing them down to 55 dollars at one point

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-30-2013, 05:08 PM
725- I don't understand your comment "Real black is too much work" ???

perhaps they only shoot a pound or two a year so driving hours to a place that sells it or ordering 25 pounds at a time is to much work

Combat Diver
12-11-2013, 09:51 PM
I got one at WalMart back in 03'. Paid $49 for it and I'm still shooting it about a dozen times a year.

CD

johnson1942
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
if you can get the lyman real real cheap, get it and have someone rebore it to the next cal up. in the twist you want. post on here who does that work and you will get lots of responses and it wont cost a arm and a leg. just a thought.

KCSO
12-12-2013, 10:46 AM
By the time you are done you could hae rebarreled the GPR???? Does that Bobcat have the short barrel 26" or so?

Mike 56
12-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I bought a Bobcat years ago from Midway on close out for 50 dollars. It has been a great rifle. It shoots PRB and real bullets well. I had a Mauser action that I was not using i was able to trade it to a guy that made me a walnut stock. I all so coned the the barrel it was a great upgrade make loading a breeze and you don't need a short starter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/be4yhybu.jpg

johnson1942
12-12-2013, 09:57 PM
mike 56, does coned mean that you take just the lands out of the muzzle for about a 1 inch length? i did that to a fast twist .50 i have. never affected accracy at all and it loades really easy. i never knew the word for it . does coned, if that is the word, work on roundball guns also?

12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
dondiego,
Real BP cost more and is harder to get. I stand on the line and, without stopping, have 12 - 16 year olds shoot, almost non-stop for 2 hours at a time. Fouling with real BP would gum up the pace of my classes. Clean burning substitutes keeps 'em shooting without frustrating failures to fire to deal with.

Mike 56
12-13-2013, 01:26 AM
It is a tapper at the end of the barrel it works good with home cast Lee Real Bullets and PRBs. My rifle also shoots the same after conning the barrel. I am shooting 12.00 a pound KIK fff black powder. I don't have any fouling problems. For target shooting i shoot with spit patch. After each shot i blow down the barrel blow tube the moisture from your breath softens the fouling.

jjamna
01-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Are you sure it has a plastic stock? I have bought 2 of them with the black stocks and sand blasted the stocks and they were wood. Not to bad of wood either.