PDA

View Full Version : I need a piece or a thingy, I have no clue what it would be called

possom813
07-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I need a piece of metal.

It needs to be oval-ish shaped <=>

I need it to taper down to 5/8" on either end, with the largest diameter in the middle of the oval at 1 1/4"

It needs a 1/2" hole going form small end to small end.

Or, I can use a funnel/triangle shaped piece that's 1 1/4" at the larger end and 5/8" at the small in with a 1/2" hole going through the center from the the small end to the large end.

What I'm trying to do is be able to run a piece of 1/2" all-thread through a 1" i.d. pipe and tighten it down with the all-thread as close to center as possible inside the pipe.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any ideas as to whether something like this is made, or what it would cost to have 4 of them made?

possom813
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Also, the metal can be just about anything, steel, aluminum, brass, or just about anything.

country gent
07-26-2013, 10:11 PM
How about a couple brass bushings 1" od and 1/2 Id 1" long nuts could position them and then tighten nuts and washers to lock. Bushing would be available from most machine tool suppliers Granger Mc Master carr ect ect.

Bzcraig
07-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Drawing would be helpful

jeepyj
07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
There is a lot of very crafty folks around here but I think if you was to take some time to do up a comprehensive sketch of what your looking for you it would bring favorable results
Jeepyj

TCLouis
07-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Not sure why you need an oval shape.
If you are only centering on one end a piece of 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" round with a taper on one end and a 1/2" hole through it should work.

Purpose of the device may help us come up with a solution for you.

deltaenterprizes
07-27-2013, 04:13 PM
PM sent

possom813
07-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Rich turned me onto a bearing that will work for what I need last night, so these have become more a, "let's see if it will work" idea.

I don't really need them now, so they're on the backburner until I get this tumbler finished and I start on the next one.

But, if you get bored and want to make a couple,

Picture a tiny motor oil funnel shape, 2" long from the 1 1/4" base to the 5/8" top with a 1/2" hole in the center running from the base to the top.

I need to be able to slide one onto a bolt with the base at the head of the bolt and the 5/8" top facing the hole in the pipe that I need to slide onto it, then the other one slid onto the allthread with the 5/8" end going into the pipe and a nut behind it so when I tighten down the nut, the two funnels center the allthread inside the pipe.

So it would look kind of like this

----N>==<N----

N -Nut
<> -pieces I need
== -pipe
----- -allthread