PDA

View Full Version : .223 and 296, 2400, BE

Boolseye
07-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Can't find rifle powder around here. I have a pound of 296 and want to use it under a 55 grain CB
in my AR. Is this doable? I also have a pound or so of 2400 and a ton of BE, but folks say BE won't cycle the action.
Any feedback is welcome.

felix
07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Forget it. Get a bolt action and we can make 2400 work well, and BE fairly well with cast. ... felix

Boolseye
07-26-2013, 04:40 PM
YEah, I suspected as much. Of well...as soon as some 4895 shows up around here!

MT Gianni
07-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Anything is doable once, safe and doable twice? I don't think so.

quilbilly
07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
My Mini14 won't function on velocities much less than 2550 fps with 55 gr jacketed but my T/C carbine in 223 shoots BE very well with a CB of 54 gr and 4.5 gr of powder giving an MV of 1725 fps. With that info I have reserved my supply of 224 jacketed for the Ruger and enjoy plinking and/or non destructive small game hunting for the T/C.

williamwaco
07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Felix + 1

You are courting DISASTER!

Boolseye
07-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for that. I've been poking around in various loadbooks and have found a lot of data for .223, including some pretty hot loads using fast powder. (9 gr. of Red Dot w/ a 55 gr. CB being a notable load). This is straight out of the Lyman 48th. Looks like a fair bit of flexibility in the .223. As for the warnings–this is just research, guys. I never shoot rounds that I haven't found in a reputable loadbook. I also almost never shoot max loads. I appreciate your concern, but you're preaching to the saved on that count. I would appreciate specific powder suggestions, if you have them. I know, I know, I said ANY feedback is welcome:cbpour:
-JP

mroliver77
07-29-2013, 08:34 PM
My RCBS cast bullet manual gives some rifle loads with 296. I will leave it alone.
J

williamwaco
07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
You said you couldn't find any rifle powder.

There are dozens of rifle powders that will work great anything in the burning rate between items 70 to 87 on this chart:

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

The only pistol powder I would use would be Unique or 2400 ( or some of similar burning rate )
AND that would be with a cast bullet and I would shoot for a velocity of 1200 to 1400 fps and just reconcile myself to the fact I am shooting a single shot.

Boolseye
07-29-2013, 09:02 PM
mroliver: would you be willing to forward me the 296 data you found?

Felix, WilliamW: Thank you-I'm glad you both spoke up. What are your feelings on published data such as the Red Dot load I mentioned (I'm serious here)? Do you think these are merely poor load choices that the firm chooses to publish without a lot of real world testing? I assume they're at least safe, or would you say that is in question? Certainly the consensus at Castboolits is that good rifle powder is the way to go for cycling with an AR, CBs or jax. I won't argue–again, I'm a TOTAL newbie to the AR, a relative newbie to shooting and reloading period. However, I am also interested in having the widest SAFE range of choices of powder, loads etc., and don't like to write things off out-of hand.

Since i started this thread I have come into a pound of VV 530. Now I have some rifle powder:bigsmyl2:
This had to be ordered, however–my local gun stores have nothing on their shelves in that burn rate.

williamwaco
07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
mroliver: would you be willing to forward me the 296 data you found?

Felix, WilliamW: Thank you-I'm glad you both spoke up. What are your feelings on published data such as the Red Dot load I mentioned (I'm serious here)? Do you think these are merely poor load choices that the firm chooses to publish without a lot of real world testing? I assume they're at least safe, or would you say that is in question? Certainly the consensus at Castboolits is that good rifle powder is the way to go for cycling with an AR, CBs or jax. I won't argue–again, I'm a TOTAL newbie to the AR, a relative newbie to shooting and reloading period. However, I am also interested in having the widest SAFE range of choices of powder, loads etc., and don't like to write things off out-of hand.

Since i started this thread I have come into a pound of VV 530. Now I have some rifle powder:bigsmyl2:
This had to be ordered, however–my local gun stores have nothing on their shelves in that burn rate.

That 530 is way on the slow end of the range but I think it will be fine.

Lyman lists ONE ( only ) Red dot load with a 55 gr cast gas check bullet in the .223.
I cannot find any data for 296 with any bullet anywhere.

If you are going to try the Red Dot, start with 6 grains and do not exceed 8 grains.

Of the powders you mention, I would go first to the 2400. Try 8 to 10 grains.

PS:

It is highly unlikely that any of these pistol powders are going to cycle the action reliably.

+

mroliver77
07-29-2013, 10:07 PM
I went and looked. There is only 296 data for 30-30 and .308. I probably would not give it to you if it was listed.

It lists Red Dot at 6.6 grains to 8.6 for a cast RCBS boolit.

mroliver77
07-29-2013, 10:17 PM
If you find loads the VV530 should work ok being it is 4895ish in burn rate. IMHO.

I like using powder at the slow end of the spectrum as it is easier on boolits. I use dacron filler for these loads. Read Larry Gibsons use of fillers for a guideline.
My AR ran well on AA2520 and a 55gr cast.

Also castpics has some good reading on .22 cast.
J

Boolseye
07-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks again, all.

Boolseye
08-15-2013, 10:28 PM
So far everything has been cool. I'm dialing in loads at around 24-2500 fps. The NOE 55 gr. FP (actual 63 grains) works well.
All powders I've tried have been fine.

fcvan
08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I started loading the Lyman 225-415 for my Mini 14 and my brothers AR. 4227 has been giving me 2200-2250 fps with that load and BAC lube. I haven't chronographed the same load with powder coating and a gas check but the rifles both function flawlessly. Next time out I'm going to sand bag and chronograph and take some pictures.

I have no idea what kind of groups t his load will produce but I was able to repeatedly hit a B27 style steel target at 200 yards. My goal with this boolit and load was 6" steel poppers at 25 to 50 yards while shooting on the move. This load does that with ease and I believe is capable of much more. My brother also has a TC Contender with a 10" barrel that is a tack driver. We used that gun when first working up loads. We also played with some 9 grain loads of Unique knowing they wouldn't cycle the action of the rifles. The velocity of that load is similar to the load with 4227. It was fun and accurate but using 4227 is the ticket for our needs.