PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt bullet?

Bagdadjoe
07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I've got about 100 cases set aside for black powder...got 4 lbs to work on, but the question is the bullet. I have the Mihec version of the 270SAA, plain base of course, will the lube grooves hold enough lube for black powder use or do I need a mold with bigger lube grooves? I'm shooting in a couple of single actions, one with a 4 5/8" barrel the other with a 5 1/2" although I'm looking for a 7 1/2 Bisley to trade into.
thanks!

oh...an afterthought..which primers work best with real black?

Beagle333
07-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I bet this one will hold enough lube!
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=238

I just got the MP270SAA, but haven't shot it yet, so I'll be watchin' this thread.:coffeecom
Good luck!

Don McDowell
07-26-2013, 11:53 AM
I've used the RCBS 260 Kt with good results with bp, also the lee 255swc holds enough lube for bp use and is about my favorite allround 45 colt bullet.
Which ever large pistol primer you have on hand works fine , I tend to prefer CCI's , but not above using other brands if that's all I can get.

'74 sharps
07-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I use Lyman's copy of the original Colt 45 bullet, their 454190. Almost pure lead mix, fiber wad, and no leading. I have never had any primer not work well with bp.

Nobade
07-26-2013, 08:23 PM
In revolvers, nearly any normal boolit holds enough lube. Rifles are where it gets a little more tricky - you should be just fine. Enjoy!

-Nobade

Bagdadjoe
07-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks to all! I appreciate the input.

Dragoon 45
07-27-2013, 12:25 PM
I second the Lyman 454190. Shoot it in both revolvers and a Marlin 1894 CB with 24" barrel. Have never had a revolver or the rifle foul out in a SASS match. And it is very accurate to boot.

I use Lyman's copy of the original Colt 45 bullet, their 454190. Almost pure lead mix, fiber wad, and no leading. I have never had any primer not work well with bp.

Holeinhide
07-28-2013, 08:03 AM
I have been using the 250 GRN Lyman 452664 with KIK 3F for a few months now. The lube grove is large enough to hold ample Beeswax/lard to keep things moving fine. I have put about 500+ rounds through a 1872 Open Top 5 1/2" BBL, 1851 conversion 8" BBL and a black hawk 6" BBL with no leading or other problem. I also use the lee 160 with a wad for plinking it has a very small lube grove and still no problems. As to the primers I like CCI, but I am Shure that any primer will do. It is the compression of the powder that matters for good results. I have found that 1/16 of an inch works best for me. It gives the right amount of accuracy and power for the load I am using.

huntrick64
07-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Joe, I have that same mold and, even though it is with smokeless, I shoot that boolit through my 24" Rossi 92 with absolutely "no" leading. I was getting some leading with the RCBS 270 SAA, but then I realized it was because the mold threw boolits a little small at .451 with 50/50 alloy. My MP mold was one of the prototypes that Miha made and it throws a 50/50 alloy at .454. It is now my "go to" boolit for my 7 1/2" bisley as well as my 24" model 92. I think a more important issue is going to be "what" alloy and lube you use in order to get obturation and keep the fouling soft. I would think 50/50 alloy and Emmerts or SPG would work well. That is what I use on my Sharps 45/70 BPCR and it has a 32" barrel. Good luck and let us know the results.

bigted
07-30-2013, 12:24 AM
when I got rite down to shooting 45 colt bp loads I took the advise I found here and shoveled Crisco into the mouth of the loaded cylinder and filled it up to the exhaust end of the cylinder ... not only does this make sure there is enough lube in the barrel but when you go to cleaning it will pay huge dividends with the ease of cleanup. others have eyed me as if I had lost my mind when shoveling in the Crisco but heck ... its my revolver and its my cleanup which takes all of 10 minutes if I fondle it for awhile after its back sparkling clean again and drippin with oil. another thing that has been generously shared with me is the synthetic mobil-1 greese on the base pin of the revolver...a real life saver when the desire is for more then 12 or 18 shots in an outing. when it starts to gum up a bit I just rub the mouth of the cylinder with my toothbrush and put just a small bit of the mobil-1 in the tiny crack in front at the base pin area of the cylinder and walla ... ready for more action. may need to swab the barrel every once inna while but other then that ... have fun with your 45 colt loads.

depending on your powder im bettin that between 30 and 37 grains will do you just fine. maybe even try the ball loads ... [real round pure lead balls ... think cap-n-ball] over the same powder charge. they don't recoil as much and are a very large thrill with the pretty good accuracy they will give. just smear the front with the Crisco and blast away.

TXGunNut
08-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I use the Lyman 452424 Keith style boolit, not especially accurate historically but plenty accurate on paper and critters. When loaded over BP they hold plenty of SPG, when loaded over smokeless a couple coats of LLA do just fine.

prs
09-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I bet this one will hold enough lube!
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=238

I just got the MP270SAA, but haven't shot it yet, so I'll be watchin' this thread.:coffeecom
Good luck!

Gee, I wonder how they came-up with that design? ;-)

That should be good in a rifle.
prs

prs
09-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I agree that 454190 is an excellent revolver boolit, but I shy away from its use in a tube magazine. The PRS boolit was designed for rifles and holds mucho lube. NOE boolit above is also a near sure bet for rifles. My old copy of the 454190 has a pretty small metplat and I don't trust it in the tube fed rifles, newer ones may have been updated.

prs

1Shirt
09-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Might want to try 452460 lyman. Shoots well in my Ruger!
1Shirt1