PDA

View Full Version : Any pointers?

prsman23
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
I finished my second casting session last night. I came away with a little over 350 boolits. My first session went well, but it amazed me how much smoother the second go 'round went.
I got adventurous and was using two, two cavity molds at a time. It went very well and I was pretty quickly in the swing of things. After all was said and done, I grabbed four random samples of each, from the piles without inspecting to submit to you guys with more experience than me.
How am I doing? I noticed that there are a few lines from where the mold halves come together. I assume this is normal. Is that correct?
I'm using range scrap in lee 358-155 with a beveled base and 452-230-tc.
Melted in a lee 4-20 and bottom poured

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/26/7e9uze2a.jpg.

aspangler
07-26-2013, 10:14 AM
They look good to me. I cast the 452-230tc myself. Don't have the 358 mold you do but they still look good enough to shoot.:bigsmyl2: Welcome to the forum.

RobS
07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Not bad at all........looks like you found the right temp for both molds. The lines where the mold close together is normal, you don't have excessive flashing or anything of the like. :cast_boolits:

7Acres
07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
They look great! I've got those same two molds in 6 cavity versions. You sure can make a pile in a hurry! And, yes, the lines from the mold halves are typical in these molds.

mdi
07-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, I'd say you need more practice. :kidding: Those look good to me, load 'em and shoot 'em and tell us how well that goes...

7Acres
07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
They look great! I've got those same two molds in 6 cavity versions. You sure can make a pile in a hurry! And, yes, the lines from the mold halves are typical in these molds.

After a second look that .452 boolit second over from the right looks like it has a bit of a fin to it. If you can positively feel the rough fin then that would be an issue. If the mold blocks don't close tightly enough you'll get fins which you would want to correct.

fcvan
07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Tip #1: Cast, load, shoot, reclaim, repeat.

Those look pretty darn good!

telebasher
07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Load, shoot, repeat as needed

Cherokee
07-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks good to me, practice will improve your technique.

10mmShooter
07-27-2013, 01:23 PM
prsman,

they look pretty good, good job, just focus on sharp fully filled out bases(this will provide max accuracy, the noses will have little effect on accuracy at less than 50yds, the top row second from the left has just a touch of rounded base. I see both molds are bevel bases, down the road you might try a flat base bullet too :) A very very small amount of flash on the parting line is normal, 3rd bullet from the left top row...that is okay. As your melt gets hotter it tends to make the parting line a little more noticeable.